Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Faith No More - Angel Dust

FEATURED ALBUM: Faith No More - Angel Dust

This suggestion comes from polmico.

Review from Sputnik Music (Jorn van Schaïk):
    For a long time I've been searching for a band with the ultimate vocals. A guy up front who really was The Real Thing. Who could release an Album of the Year. Who could act like a king for a day, but really was a fool for a lifetime. Who really cares a lot. And when all is said and done, and when his ashes were burnt upon the ground, his remains would fall down to earth like dust from the heavens. Angel Dust, in other words.

Now that vocalist I speak of is called Mike Patton. Few match his skill on the mic. From insane falsetto voices, to loud bass singing, to grunting, to rapping, to plain wackiness, he really is one of the most able vocalists ever to roam the earth. Of course, Air Raid Sirens or the haunting and crooning voice of Keenen, or even the divine goddess Tarja Turunen, all have superb aspects of their singing. But no one can do everything, except this guy.

And in the year 1992, he sung for a band called Faith No More, who had gotten an MTV hit with their single Epic. Now Faith No More was known for their disdain of MTV and commerciality. So, splitting their fanbase right in two, they created the masterpiece that would henceforth be known as Angel Dust. And it truly is an excellent album. I would vouch for it to be one of the best albums of the 90s, a classic of rock and metal alike. Of course Mike Patton has a huge part in the success of this record. His vocal antics please the listener and the producer alike. But the groovy bass lines, the guitar riffs, and the fantastic drums not to mention the idiosyncratic keyboards make this album an aural orgasm.

It is the opener, Land of Sunshine, that already sets the tone. The lyrics, sung in Mike Patton style, portray exactly what Faith No More is all about. Nonsensicality, bitterness against society, sarcasm, it's all in there. Not to mention the musical side of things, with an excellent guitar solo to boot, and the keyboards creating an awesome deep atmosphere to this song. The whole album could easily just be described by the word "idiosyncratic."

And the rest of the album continues in the same vein. It is really hard to single out a track as the best one, albeit the aformentioned Land Of Sunshine is an excellent example, the haunting RV, or Kindergarten, or Jizzlobber, Midlife Crisis, or any other song you wish to take out and play as an example of the brilliance of this album, all would tell you the same story despite all being different songs; this has Faith No More written all over it. It has to be your cup of tea, obviously; but if you liked any other work of Faith No More or comparable bands (who are far and between these days; little has ever achieved the greatness of this), you'll be blown away by this.

In fact, while reviewing this album, the best advice I can give when listening to this record is just put it on and see for yourself. It's an excellent ride from beginning to end, with all the trademark elements plus excellent musicianship this is one of the best albums ever released, no matter what your father, brother, best friend, or MTV may say. If you haven't got this in your collection and you're a fan of rock and metal, shame on you. It's a MUST for anyone who wishes to get into Faith No More, and it's a must for everyone who enjoys the metal genre as a whole. It's also a must if you enjoy just going against the grain just like these guys. Just check it out and you'll see what I mean; this album can't be put into words, it defies any law.

The Real Thing may have been the commercial success; this is artistic success to the max. Please bow deeply to Mike Patton and co., and thank the heavens for blessing us with this record truly made up out of Angel Dust.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

LOVE this album. Been listening to it quite a bit this past week, coincidentally. This was the first FNM album where Patton had any real input, and it shows. The Real Thing was largely put together before he joined - and is a great record too - and he basically just sang on top of what had been arranged already.

This album is one of the best of the 90s IMO... FNM's finest hour - I'll never tire of it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Bought this when it first came out when I was about 14 or so. Their finest hour for sure. FNM were never 'prog metal' but this is the closest they came.

The first FNM that I bought. It's one of those albums and experiences that made it hard for anything I got afterwards to top it. I love how eclectic it is throughout. An amazing album start to finish.

Wonderful album and clearly influential on other artists. Patton balances his angry rap with melodic vocals with the ease of a pro.

I also loved that for a short time, when I got into it, I was "hip."

wow, haven’t listened to this, and to them, for that matter, in ages! saw them live several times during that period and i was quite a fan. this is one of those bands, who have left a gaping hole in the music world. please reform. again.

Missed 'em live.

Still hoping that a live album/DVD or even a new album of material comes out of the recent touring.

What's remarkable about this album (and maybe doesn't stand out given the band's later albums or Patton's own career since) is just how clear a rejection of their success it is. From straight metal to "gay disco" (as Jim Martin put it) to country western, this album just spirals out of control in a wonderfully weird way. Martin hated it and quit/was fired (he was barely involved in the writing of the album and only showed up to the studio to lay down his guitar tracks--for the most part. I've heard rumors that Gould played a lot of the simple guitar parts anyway). They toured with GNR and openly mocked them. They went on MTV and acted like assholes. Plus, there's a song sung passionately by a very straight man about giving fellatio! Rock star. This album openly demonstrates how little of a shit FNM gave about being famous, having friends in the industry, having friends in the band or doing anything that would be sensible for a band that was, at this point, in the limelight.

Awesome, awesome stuff and one of my favorite albums of all time.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

By the way, this is a new song FNM was playing on the last tour or two:

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    maybe doesn't stand out given the band's later albums
    The two albums after this really do pale compared to "Angel Dust," though they have their own moments of brilliance. "King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime" paints FNM as the Queen of the nineties, with the variety in styles a little more obvious and heavy-handed. Trey Spruance's "here today, gone tomorrow" presence and Roddy Bottum's absence on several tracks doesn't help. The album starts and stops constantly, without the smooth, unique flow of "Angel Dust."

"Album of the Year" suffers from half-hearted songwriting; "Pristina" is basically one chord and not much else, for instance. The songs aren't particularly audacious or memorable; they're just there, even when they're singing about suicide or masturbation. It's an okay album but I always forget it after I listen to it.

"Angel Dust" was a special once-in-a-lifetime album. Mike Patton came in and helped throw the playbook out, and it worked like a charm.

Plus, there's a song sung passionately by a very straight man about giving fellatio!
    What's funny is that Bottum wrote those lyrics as a dare for Patton to sing. And not only did Patton sing it like his life depended on it, it's STILL on their set lists, and Patton goes batshit insane onstage delivering lyrics like "ugly seed, it's down my throat!" And yes, it's my favorite song on the album. "Midlife Crisis" is SECOND.

What a meant was that we got used to FNM (and subsequently Patton) being weird and out there. Not that The Real Thing wasn't diverse, but wouldn't it have been easy for this band to just record "Epic" over and over again?

I'm a big FNM fan but I do prefer The Real Thing. Angel Dust may be more consistent but the highs for The Real Thing make it for me.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

but wouldn't it have been easy for this band to just record "Epic" over and over again?
    Yeah, that's true. They could have. Every album could have been big poppy rap-metal, at least until grunge kicked it to the curb.

I think Patton wasn't fond of that whole thing, though. I always notice that the weird high-pitched yowl he had on "The Real Thing" practically vanished after the album was released. Even in live performances he sang "From Out of Nowhere" in his deeper voice. But I also think that "Angel Dust" stands out from their later albums too... it was a bit like "Huh. We did THIS. Now what?" And both answers weren't terribly satisfactory. It's probably no wonder they split up.

These guys and a few other bands of that era were very clearly (and I'm sure they'd readily admit it) inspired by the revolutionary sound of Bad Brains 1986 album I Against I
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

great record, although I find The Real Thing a more memorable record and 1 I go back to more often.

I has never heard dis ablum. Those first 2 songs are really damn good though. I guess I have to check it out...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Never knew this band was at all prog!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    What's funny is that Bottum wrote those lyrics as a dare for Patton to sing. And not only did Patton sing it like his life depended on it, it's STILL on their set lists, and Patton goes batshit insane onstage delivering lyrics like "ugly seed, it's down my throat!" And yes, it's my favorite song on the album. "Midlife Crisis" is SECOND.
    I heard that Mike wrote the lyrics all on his own(i.e with suggestion from anyone) as a joke on Bottum.

Songs with lyrics written by someone other than Patton include "Be Aggressive" by Roddy Bottum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_D...No_More_album)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I has never heard dis ablum. Those first 2 songs are really damn good though. I guess I have to check it out...

If you like it, I'd strongly recommend getting the follow up album King for a Day . . . . And if you like that, then you really should check out some of Patton's other bands--but that might be better left for another thread.

Did you guys know that in the years since Jim Martin left the band, he has become a champion giant pumpkin grower? I kid you not.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yup. He's made a few metal albums, too. I've not heard them, but I've been told not to bother.

An all-time favorite of mine that still holds up well.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I used to have this one and Living Colour's Stain on constant back to back rotation around the time they first came out.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters