Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes-The Complete Keys To Ascension 4cds/1 dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinaltap View Post
    I just don't get this release. The Yes fans who want this have this already. There is nothing new in the offer.

Fail
    I'm assuming it is for newer/younger fans? Are the original KTA releases OOP perhaps?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I agree. I highly doubt Yes has anything to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm assuming it is for newer/younger fans? Are the original KTA releases OOP perhaps?
    I think so, yes. This is just about keeping something in print.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I think so, yes. This is just about keeping something in print.

Henry
    Hasn't the "complete KTA bundle" been around for awhile now? I'm sure I've seen it in stores before. Maybe this is just a reissue of it.

What really sucks is that Keystudio is out of print. That's the most essential version, since it just has the studio tracks with the little Wakeman intro to "Children of Light." I feel fortunate to have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Hasn't the "complete KTA bundle" been around for awhile now? I'm sure I've seen it in stores before. Maybe this is just a reissue of it.
    Yes, and yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    What really sucks is that Keystudio is out of print. That's the most essential version, since it just has the studio tracks with the little Wakeman intro to "Children of Light." I feel fortunate to have a copy.
    Personally, I think that Wakeman intro is shit!

Henry

Personally, I think that Wakeman intro is shit!
    I don't think it's shit, but I also don't see why he was so up in arms about its omission in the first place, as it doesn't add anything, really. I do prefer that Keystudio version though, as it's changed a bit more than just restoring the intro.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The studio tracks are horrible. Mind Drive is barely tolerabe. The Ladder and FFH are way better than anything on this record.
    FFH sucks a dead dog's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    FFH sucks a dead dog's nuts.
    NO! You're nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The studio tracks are horrible. Mind Drive is barely tolerabe. The Ladder and FFH are way better than anything on this record.
    Agree ! I understand nothing was even recorded or written whilst they were in the studio together . Boy does it show . FFH is much more coherent !

I've always thought the KTA stuff was the most over-rated in their catalog. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't rank at all with their 70s stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Agree ! I understand nothing was even recorded or written whilst they were in the studio together . Boy does it show . FFH is much more coherent !
    The studio tracks on both Keys to Ascension and Keys to Ascension 2 were, AFAIK, largely recorded by the band together. Those on KtA were mainly written before Wakeman had re-joined, but those on KtA2 were written by the band together.

Henry

There's shit on FFH that sounds like it was stuck together with Elmer's Glue. To the band's credit, they did put together a FINE album if your specialty is cookie cutter prog.

There's shit on FFH that sounds like it was stuck together with Elmer's Glue. To the band's credit, they did put together a FINE album if your specialty is cookie cutter prog.
    Thats exactly why CTTE & Suppers Ready are the pinnacle of progressive rock . From your reasoning you obviously dont rate them ?

That's my opinion of the contents of FFH. You're suggesting I don't like "Close To The Edge" or "Supper's Ready" as a result?

According to Amazon both KTA cds are quite in print and going for about $20 ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    In stock doesn't necessarily mean in print.

Henry

That's my opinion of the contents of FFH. You're suggesting I don't like "Close To The Edge" or "Supper's Ready" as a result?
    Your post obviously came across that you don't have much time for 'cookie cutter prog'. Did you know that CTTE & Suppers Ready were compiled from cut & pasting different ideas and songs, glueing them together as it were!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Here's a guy selling the whole set for $1.49..
    http://www.amazon.com/Vol-1-2-Keys-A...s+to+ascension

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Your post obviously came across that you don't have much time for 'cookie cutter prog'. Did you know that CTTE & Suppers Ready were compiled from cut & pasting different ideas and songs, glueing them together as it were!!
    Downton Abbey and the foreclosure down the street with beer bottles in the yard and feral cats in the crawl space are both just houses pasted together from different materials, but where would you rather live?
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm not certain quite what "cookie cutter prog" is meant to imply, but I would have thought that the parts of "Fly from Here" were largely composed and conceived as related pieces of music at an earlier stage than many of the classic '70s prog epics.

But, Frum B is right. It's the final result that matters, not how you got there.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Downton Abbey and the foreclosure down the street with beer bottles in the yard and feral cats in the crawl space are both just houses pasted together from different materials, but where would you rather live?
    LOL!

That's obviously not what I meant. You took it too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post

It's the final result that matters, not how you got there.

Henry
    Exactly. Which is why it couldn't be more irrelevant that much of FFH was written 30 years ago.

I'll never understand why anyone cares about that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Fly From Here is great.