Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing ...and other stories

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Listened to all three samples here and unless there is something much more compelling on the album, this is a big skip for me. Then again, I always liked PT at their heaviest. Sorry this doesn't add much to the discussion, but thought that since every other post contained either "masterpiece" or "album of the year" it would be worthwhile to point out that not every listener felt that way.
    And I think that's the big divide among many PT/Wilson fans. Some, like me, prefer the melancholy/dreamy stuff and others prefer the heavier sound.

Sorry this doesn't add much to the discussion, but thought that since every other post contained either "masterpiece" or "album of the year" it would be worthwhile to point out that not every listener felt that way.
    This is should be obvious to everyone by now that there will be people that don't like it, or find it average. Even one of the most revered prog albums, CttE, has some very poor ratings at Gnosis and elsewhere. Should that change one's opinion of an album?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    This is should be obvious to everyone by now that there will be people that don't like it, or find it average. Even one of the most revered prog albums, CttE, has some very poor ratings at Gnosis and elsewhere. Should that change one's opinion of an album?
    You're right. There may even be some people here who don't really care for Genesis ....
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I would like to know what you are listening to just to get an idea of why you find that album(and Grace For Drowning as well) fairly ordinary? I think it is two great albums.
    I find both albums generic and uninspiring. And even though this album is #1 for 2013 on PA, there are still over 100 people who gave it 3 stars or less. So I am not alone.

Sorry this doesn't add much to the discussion, but thought that since every other post contained either "masterpiece" or "album of the year" it would be worthwhile to point out that not every listener felt that way.

I always liked PT at their heaviest.
    The samples under-represent the heavier moments on the album, though I'd say The Raven is probably the least "metal-y" of Wilson's work since In Absentia. Which is probably why so many here like it.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    A very worthwhile album, IMO. The vid for "Raven" is excellent.

I love this album, def a grower. Much like Gilmour's On An Island. Just need to relax and let it come to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    And I think that's the big divide among many PT/Wilson fans. Some, like me, prefer the melancholy/dreamy stuff and others prefer the heavier sound.
    I like both/all styles. Just like how I love DG's s/t and OAI; love PT's/SW's variety of sounds/moods/styles. It's all brilliant stuff, sometimes dependent on one's own mood at the time. Live, The Raven album was one of the best tours SW has been a part of. Me, I loved The Incident live and FOABP too. It's all good. I don't find myself reaching for The Raven or The Incident as much as Fear or Insurgentes, but I know what I am in for when I do and love it all the same. Apples and oranges, peaches and limes, I like 'em all.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I find both albums generic and uninspiring. And even though this album is #1 for 2013 on PA, there are still over 100 people who gave it 3 stars or less. So I am not alone.

I just see your musical taste on another post.

Seven Reizh- Strinkadenn Ys
    Morphelia- Waken the Nightmare
    Introitus- Elements
    Discipline- Unfolded Like Staircase
    Solaris- The Martian Chronicles
    Mangala Vallis- Microsolco
    K2- Book of the Dead

Now I know, S.W is not for you. But that's ok.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Never liked PT. Reluctantly liked 1/2 of Grace For Drowning. Love this album.

I will agree with those posters who are not praising this album. I think that it is bland. That is the first word that comes to mind. Maybe it's not for me. I can't even say what specifically I don't like about it, maybe the keyboards. I like it when they are more colourful. I don't like the keyboard sounds that are used on this record, but then again, I guess on Wilson's records they are always like that. In comparison, Minnemann is also on the upcoming Levin Minnemann Rudess record and Rudess keys there sound great (at least from the samples). That's different music, but still...
    Actualy there are quiet a bit of reviews on the net from regular listeners who don't like this. On a side note, also for EE2 at first there werte mostly good reviews but then later some with three or two stars started to emerge. Maybe some more distance is needed to really analyse this record.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I can't even say what specifically I don't like about it, maybe the keyboards. I like it when they are more colourful. I don't like the keyboard sounds that are used on this record, but then again, I guess on Wilson's records they are always like that. In comparison, Minnemann is also on the upcoming Levin Minnemann Rudess record and Rudess keys there sound great (at least from the samples). That's different music, but still...
    Huh, I will take Adam Holzman's keyboard sounds any day over Jordan Rudess'. Rudess is of course very skillful player but he happens to have about the worst sounds in prog IMHO.

I admit that I haven't heard any samples of Levin Minneman Rudess album yet so I can't say anything about that.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I too like this album and find it to be more like pre-InAbsentia PT than not. It is an enjoyable listen. I did listen to it quite a bit when it first came out, but listen to it less now. Luminols opening bass line is a bit irritating, but I love the rest of that song and the album in particular as a whole. The concert was stunning for this as well. It is certainly the most cohesive SW solo album and the best band of musicians currently playing live. I think I like Grace a bit more for its diversity and sheer ingenuity, but this one has a great album feel, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Huh, I will take Adam Holzman's keyboard sounds any day over Jordan Rudess'. Rudess is of course very skillful player but he happens to have about the worst sounds in prog IMHO.

I admit that I haven't heard any samples of Levin Minneman Rudess album yet so I can't say anything about that.
    I listened. Loud, synthy, hot and noodly. But my opinion (as selmer's and other's above) just demonstrates what different folks are looking for and liking in the same music.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post

Well, I don't like Rudess work in DT too much, but his rock solo albums have some wonderful stuff. At first I didn't find anything special in them, but after a couple more listens there is a lot to like for me.
    One more example would be Jem Godfrey and his band Frost - I like those kinds of sounds - lush and a bit bombastic.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I listened. Loud, synthy, hot and noodly. But my opinion (as selmer's and other's above) just demonstrates what different folks are looking for and liking in the same music.
    I think that LMR keyboard sounds are somewhat similar to Jordans rock solo albums. On the other hand, I wouldn't say that if someone doesn't like Rudess in general, that he/she wouldn't like LMR either. A new album from a new project can always bring surprises. I think that it really is a matter of taste and what one looks for on specific albums. I can't say that I did not like this SW album at all. It's far from that, it's just not an album which I want to listen to repeatedly.

I enjoy it a lot, but I don't think it sounds like any era of PT. I only wish wilson played more Eletric on it, even thou Govan's solos are pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I will agree with those posters who are not praising this album. I think that it is bland. That is the first word that comes to mind. Maybe it's not for me. I can't even say what specifically I don't like about it, maybe the keyboards.
    Blandola for me also, although the keys are my favorite part of this album.

Holzman's a jazz guy, and a little jazz always makes for better music, imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

There is never going to be universal love for any album on PE (or anywhere else for that matter). That said, I think the amount of praise for this album is pretty significant. It took a few listens to really sink in for me. The amount of flute and such took some getting used to (same could be said of Grace for Drowning). That said, 'The Raven...' really sunk in after a few listens and at this point, I think it is easily Steven's best solo album. Very consistent in quality from beginning to end. A friend who is a big Porcupine Tree fan recently told me that he was unaware of Steve's solo work and asked me how it compared to PT. Personally, though I think his solo work is a bit different, I can't imagine that a fan of Porcupine Tree wouldn't enjoy it. Unless you are a PT fan who only likes the hard moments which lets face it, even on a PT album are only sporadic. My friend immediately purchased the Raven on my recommendation and I am awaiting his review. That said, The Raven..is a great album! Plus, the band that Steven put together for his solo work is absolutely unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    There is never going to be universal love for any album on PE (or anywhere else for that matter). That said, I think the amount of praise for this album is pretty significant.
    Agreed, and that's the best way to view PE. The beauty of the place is the fact our readers are so diverse in their tastes that there is no one band or artist that everybody loves. Not in any way a slight on the bands or artists that don't appeal to certain members, just a barometer of how wide the waters are here. The negatives in this thread have been well articulated. Play on!

I love "Raven." SW is one of my musical heroes, and Adam Holzman has been one of my favorite keyboardists since his days with The Fents back in the '80's; the record is immaculately produced and stunningly well-played. That said, I find that I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, and I find it too heavy emotionally to listen to very frequently (as opposed to, say, "EE2"). It's just a very dark record.

Tremendous, career-defining record for Wilson, with a band that just doesn't quit. Review here.

Also, for those who missed my in-depth interview last fall....here it is again.

I agree that this is not quite a masterpiece, but it comes close.

I don't (thankfully) find it all similar to P-Tree.

I will spin it tonight.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    What I miss about PT and Wilson (pre-FOABP) is the diversity of texture and styles. This album, while I think it's ok, strikes me as yet another monochrome album in mood and substance. I like the ethereal, ambient pieces better when they're book-ended by the catchy pop and harder edged rock that one would find on a PT album 10 years ago.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I love this album, def a grower. Much like Gilmour's On An Island. Just need to relax and let it come to you.
    I love The Raven too.

Steven Wilson The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories 02.jpg

Just on the topic of SW's 'masterpiece', I'm not sure there's only one and I'm not convinced that The Raven is it. I've listened in the last two days to Storm Corrosion and Grace For Drowning, and those are both exceptionally good albums, that genuinely repay revisiting ... and this is without going as far back as the PT albums. Sure The Raven is a special album but is it especially special?