Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come (aka The Bible)

FEATURED ALBUM: Steve Grossman - Some Shapes to Come (aka The Bible)

Okay, I started early...

This suggestion comes from Walt. It's generally filed under "under appreciated jazz-fusion"...

Review from Jazzbonotes
    On paper, this CD should be nothing short of perfect. Steve Grossman (tenor) and Gene Perla (bass) had recently toured with the Elvin Jones tour that produced the essential Live at the Lighthouse sessions. Jan Hammer (keyboards) had recently played with the Mahavishnu orchestra and Don Alias (drums) — well, he’s Don Alias. All incredible musicians, all at the height of their considerable powers. So why doesn’t this CD get five out of five stars?

Well, for one thing, coming from such a group of master composers, the songs are a little disappointing. They are little more than a clothesline for the musicians to hang their improvisations on. But boy, can they wail.

Grossman lays out the minimalist melodies laconically, making it all the more startling when he tears into the improvisations like a starving tiger into raw meat. Hammer takes a more intellectual approach, improvising around the tonality of the piece with altered pentatonic lines. When he’s not soloing, Hammer feeds Grossman sick harmonic ideas. Together, they’re monstrous.

The rhythm section totally kicks ass too, just as much as you would expect. As I said before, the song structures are simple, mostly consisting of vamps on one or two chords, but with Perla providing a swinging and confident bottom, Hammer coming up with all sorts of creative rhythmic comping, and Alias all but setting his drum kit on fire, it all adds up to more than you would think. Still, I was hoping for musicial structures that were a little more complex for these musicians to dig into.

But I’m being ungrateful. Jan Hammer and Steve Grossman are a match made in hardcore fusion heaven. And we only have this release and Terra Firma to document this awesome group. If you care at all about hardcore fusion, secure these CDs at all costs and don’t even think about letting someone borrow them.

By the way, an expanded version of this group made several recordings as the Stone Alliance for PM records. Maybe some day the record company execs will pull their collective heads out of their asses long enough to release these recordings on CD.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'll have to spin this one today, I forgot what it sounded like.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Grossman just burns on this.I wasn't much of a fan of his playing but this record turned my head around.Monster tenor and soprano work all over the grooves on this.

Excellent jazz fusion that delivers the goods.Sound quality leaves something to be desired but it doesn't detract from the music.I love Jan Hammer on electric piano but i just don't dig his Mini-Moog playing(generally).The rhythm section is tight and up to the task.
    Last edited by walt; 08-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I'll have to spin this one today, I forgot what it sounded like.
    I don't remember the tunes, but I didn't like the sound of the record, so I gave it to a friend of mine. Dark and abrasive is what comes to mind from what I can recall. Maybe I'll borrow it back for a revisit?

I just listened to the three tracks posted and thought they were good, but not great. I'm familiar with all of the players and though they're all of a high caliber, I felt like the music never took off. There were nice bursts of energy in the solos, but they never seemed to go from point A to point B. And as the reviewer said, the tunes were kind of weak. Sorry to feel that way; I've heard both Grossman and Hammer play killer solos, but I didn't feel like it was happening here. I've heard one or two of Grossman's more straight ahead jazz albums and liked them better. I first heard him on "Elvin Jones - Live at the Lighthouse," duking it out with fellow tenor/soprano saxophonist Dave Liebman. At the time, I couldn't tell them apart, but they were both playing their asses off!

I could be wrong, but I think some of these guys just felt obliged to make fusion records in the '70s. I'm sure I'm thought of as a fusion fan around these parts (and I am), but as with any kind of music, there has to be something special going on. This record (or at least those three tracks), not so much...

Holy Shit, am I surprised to see this featured!
    Just listened to it the other day, in fact.

Having said that, it is, IMO, not top tier fusion. Good stuff, and worth a listen, but.....

Anyone familiar with Grossman's Terra Firma?

No one knows Terra Firma?
    Am I the thread killer?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I just listened to the three tracks posted and thought they were good, but not great. I'm familiar with all of the players and though they're all of a high caliber, I felt like the music never took off.

I could be wrong, but I think some of these guys just felt obliged to make fusion records in the '70s. I'm sure I'm thought of as a fusion fan around these parts (and I am), but as with any kind of music, there has to be something special going on. This record (or at least those three tracks), not so much...
    Yeah, I have to agree, and that's why I can't remember a damn thing about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I don't remember the tunes, but I didn't like the sound of the record, so I gave it to a friend of mine. Dark and abrasive is what comes to mind from what I can recall. Maybe I'll borrow it back for a revisit?
    I agree with you also, bad recording.

When I heard this way back when I thought it was just awful. I'd be more charitable today, but I'd still recommend passing on it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

It's been a while since I have heard the album, but it was pitched to me as a "long lost gem" -as it often is. I have to agree with two sentiments expressed so far in that - 1) I don't remember a lick about it and 2) the recording quality and hype surrounding it made it ultimately a letdown. This is not to say I don't care for it at all, but don't get the "gem" quality. It's interesting to read others saying something similar. Maybe "The Bible" issue dramatically improves the sound recording?

But thanks for bringing it up, Walt. I will replay this album over the weekend and reassess.

The Bible(which i bought,six months ago) is no great shakes, sonics wise,which i alluded to in my post.I even considered buying Some Shapes To Come, just to see if the sound was any better on that issue.I restrained myself.I played The Bible last night, and my opinion stands.By no means would i place this in the upper echelons of great fusion, but i hear the sound of quality(except for Hammer's mini-moog settings).

I first read about this cd in the Organissimo jazz site,which i peruse regularly.It got a few raves from posters there(no one mentioned the word 'gem') and that was the impetus for my buying this.I had no Steve Grossman cd as a leader,only as sideman with Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I first read about this cd in the Organissimo jazz site,which i peruse regularly.It got a few raves from posters there(no one mentioned the word 'gem') and that was the impetus for my buying this.
    It's also on the "Kozmigroov" A-List.

That's where I saw it first--the Kozmigroov list.

Terra Firma is similar, but perhaps a wee bit better, to my ears. But heck, I'm a sucker for any album that has bass with envelope filter mixed way up in the mix.

I recall choosing "The Bible" to list in my choices for the mods to use as featured cd over Joe Chambers cd "New World".I choose The Bible because I figured more people would probably have heard it than New World.

I wonder if the reaction to New World would have been more positive than the reactions to The Bible.

Oh well..........moving on.

I haven't heard New World, Walt.....knowing me as you do (ha ha), would you say I'd dig it?

I wonder if the reaction to New World would have been more positive than the reactions to The Bible..
    It sparked discussion, which in and of itself is most important, imo.

Not everything I regularly feature is a classic or even something I like, but I try to mix a little of things I really want people to hear (which often gets less discussion) with things I know people would want to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I haven't heard New World, Walt.....knowing me as you do (ha ha), would you say I'd dig it?

Walt turned me on to this one. It's definitely worth investigating.

New World is pretty nice.