Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple '70s Albums Box Set

Banned

Deep Purple '70s Albums Box Set

If you don't mind, I would like to share something that I found on the Ultimate Classic Rock Facebook page today. On October 8th, Rhino Records will release a 10 CD Deep Purple box set called "Deep Purple:The Complete Albums 1970-1976". It will include the albums Concerto For Group And Orchestra, In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Who Do We Think We Are, Burn, Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band, and Made In Europe. I do own the Rhino versions of Machine Head and Burn, the 25th anniversary edition of In Rock, and the Friday Music edition of Come Taste The Band, but I will get this box set to have all my classic Purple in one convenient collection. Who else is excited for this collection? What are the opinions Concerto, Fireball, We Do We Think We Are, and Stormbringer(since those are the ones missing from my Purple collection). Btw, this set is available to pre-order on Amazon for $53.99.
    Last edited by JIF; 08-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.

The only point I see in such sets is for people new to a band, who haven't got any of the albums. I've never understood people who buy box sets when they already own all or most of the albums.

I've got all of them on vinyl, so I don't need it, besides which I hate CDs.

Fireball is missing from your collection? Boy are you in for a treat! Concerto is also a great piece of music performed beautifully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The only point I see in such sets is for people new to a band, who haven't got any of the albums. I've never understood people who buy box sets when they already own all or most of the albums.

I've got all of them on vinyl, so I don't need it, besides which I hate CDs.
    Like I said, I only own three of these(my copy of In Rock could use an update). I think that the box set is a sweet deal. So, I'm jumping on it. Btw, what's your opinion on Fireball, Who Do We Think We Are, and Stormbringer? I have never heard those before. Correction: I did just listen to WDWTWA on YouTube. I liked it.

how do they include Made in Europe but not Made in Japan? that's their classic live album.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    how do they include Made in Europe but not Made in Japan? that's their classic live album.
    Strange omission indeed & in relation to this box set its like a missing jigsaw piece . I wont be buying it 4 that reason alone !

Indeed. What's with that? It states ten discs, but I only see nine listed. Is MiE now a double?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Btw, what's your opinion on Fireball, Who Do We Think We Are, and Stormbringer?
    Fireball is the best of the bunch, an excellent album except for that awful half-country song "Anyone's Daughter" I really dislike that.
    WDWTWA has some greally good stuff on there but nothing that memorable, I could only hum Woman From Tokyo from that LP.
    Stormbringer, again some great stuff on there but ultimately even more forgettable than WDWTWA in my view.

I think "Come Taste the Band", which came later is much better.

Like I said, I only own three of these(my copy of In Rock could use an update). I think that the box set is a sweet deal. So, I'm jumping on it. Btw, what's your opinion on Fireball, Who Do We Think We Are, and Stormbringer? I have never heard those before. Correction: I did just listen to WDWTWA on YouTube. I liked it.
    Only three studio albums are essential, IMHO

MH, In Rock and Burn

I don't think FB and WDWTWA are good enough to own (well FB is OK),
    And the two Glen Hughes atrocities are best avoided (Strombronger has two good tracks that would maybe find space on Burn)

Of course Made in Japan and In Europe are both essential (wish the latter would be expanded one day)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One thing: often with these "complete albums" things, a few of the Amazon Mktplace sellers come in quite a bit below the Amazon pre-order price. So I might wait a bit... And my guess is that MIJ is indeed the 10th cd of this set. I just can't see how you could have a set like this without it...

Fireball & Who Do We Think We Are? are both essential IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Strange omission indeed & in relation to this box set its like a missing jigsaw piece . I wont be buying it 4 that reason alone !
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Indeed. What's with that? It states ten discs, but I only see nine listed. Is MiE now a double?
    ooops, my bad. I fixed it. Yes, the double disc edition of MIJ will be included.
    Last edited by JIF; 09-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.

ooops, my bad. I fixed. Yes, the double disc edition of MIJ will be included.
    Will they be the expanded editions? If so i might be interested !

Banned
    Will they be the expanded editions? If so i might be interested !
    It doesn't say. I hope so. I really want to get this box set, but I don't want to part with When A Blind Man Cries. I wonder if the recent EMI remasters of Stormbringer and Come Taste The Band will be used as the source of the remastering for the box set.
    Last edited by JIF; 08-30-2013 at 02:48 AM.

What are the opinions Concerto, Fireball, We Do We Think We Are, and Stormbringer(since those are the ones missing from my Purple collection).
    Concerto is good for a spin or two but don't expect it to get much more.

Fireball is a classic.

WTWTWA is a rare case where radio picked up the best song.

Stormbringer is dog doo. The first and last tracks are good, but that's about it.

Burn is an appalling album.Most of the songwriting is like someone taking the piss out of blues-rock cliches, in fact the songwriting on all those coverdale hughes albums is mostly laughably bad.Two overrated hacks those guys.A shame as i would have enjoyed a funk rock direction if the songs had been up to scratch.

the albums are worth the odd listen for the good playing though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Concerto is good for a spin or two but don't expect it to get much more.

Fireball is a classic.

WTWTWA is a rare case where radio picked up the best song.

Stormbringer is dog doo. The first and last tracks are good, but that's about it.
    More or less agree except WDYTWA is much better than this . Rat Bat Blue is in my top 5 DP songs !

More or less agree except WDYTWA is much better than this . Rat Bat Blue is in my top 5 DP songs !
    Machinehead is supposed to be their classic but i like both Fireball and Who better. never owned In Rock or Japan and i don't currently have any of DP's albums on CD so i just might get this set.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Machinehead is supposed to be their classic but i like both Fireball and Who better. never owned In Rock or Japan and i don't currently have any of DP's albums on CD so i just might get this set.
    You're missing their two best albums.

WDWTWA is an embarrassment compared to its competition. They were getting their asses completely kicked by their peers at this time (Houses Of The Holy and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) and running out of steam. Blackmore and Gillian weren't even speaking to each other during the recordings, iirc.

Rat Bat Blue is indeed (from far) the better track on that dreadful album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Audio Fidelity is also releasing a box of 4 24kt gold CDs that they had been previously reissued but gone out of print. A little more pricey then the Rhino box at $130 however

WDWT,WA is great from start to finish. Way more expressive, tight and heavier, than MH. And they never sounded better, like on WDWTWA.
    Fireball is great, except for No One Came, an awful funk song. Seems very strange they didn't included the brilliant Strange Kind of Woman in UK release.
    Burn marks a little change in direction, they drifted towards American boogie rock on this one. Good, but not as good, as could be.
    On Stormbringer there are some outstanding songs, but the album is patchy, too much of cliche on it.
    Come taste the band is fantastic rock album, love it.

Banned
    I agree with you on that last point, Greg. In fact, I wish this lineup made another album.

Audio Fidelity - oh, no. These are Hoffman remasters, and they stand down to those Anniversary CDs. Treble, treble, more treble - Hoffman concentrates on bass, but loses the richness of high frequencies. Muffled.