Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Rock And Roll Dead?

R&R isn't dead, it was just put in a chemically induced coma by the elite media

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    -- but the days of classic rock are numbered as both the musicians and fans pass away, one by one.

Only to be replaced by Classic Rock

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    An excellent point! As one who heard my share of "Turn that crap down!" as a youth, and as one with a young daughter, I try to keep an open mind toward new music. It isn't always easy, but I do try.
    Yup, Tangerine Dream (that's funeral dirge music sayeth my Dad. That was kind compared to my siblings comments) . Floyd did not fare much better. There was music of mine that they enjoyed a lot too. My two girls listen to some God awful crap, but they are young so I try to be understanding...until they play that disco shite that their Mom plays. Must...try...not...to...crush...kill...destroy!

On the plus side, I got my oldest the Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver and they love it. There is still hope!
    Last edited by Tangram; 08-31-2013 at 12:41 AM.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I agree. Every generation has music of the moment that will not pass the test of time. And some of it will not sink in for many years. But while there was music that didn't sink in, I could appreciate it for the talent it took to create. For instance, big band and opera are two types that I didn't like when I was young but I could recognize the talent and effort it took to create it. I like big band today and I still do not like opera. Much of what passes today as music, is really second to what is the show. The show these days is pretty raunchy and the music is damn near talentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    The show these days is pretty raunchy and the music is damn near talentless.
    "What a bunch of crap! You call that music? How can you listen to that noise? Turn that shit down!" ~ My Parents, circa Early 80s

i have thought long and hard to contribute to this thread at all. i shall.

rock(‘n’roll) – as an attitude – is not dead. it is alive and well in just about any form of music imaginable.
    rock(‘n’roll) – as a style – died the moment that it became a posture and a pose.

and here comes the sweeping statement that you are all going to despise me for: stuff like this

http://www.raidingtherockvault.com

is equal to dancing on rock(‘n’roll)’s grave.

Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra, Oliver Nelson, Roland Kirk, Don Ellis, Archie Shepp, Bill Evans, Mingus, Coltrane, Zappa, Dolphy, Zorn, Monk, Soft Machine, Sam Rivers, Ken Vandermark, ECM, Cuneiform, Soul Note and Clean Feed recordings to name few are weak "degenerate" efforts that can't really compare with Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins, Django Reinhardt and other innumerable other greats from the 30's to the 50's???
    Thanks Professor, (who endorses the smell of his own well informed opinion/message)... learned a lot from that article... good of you and Ken Burns to try and set the record straight on all that post 50's detritus.

Wow, you American geezers have some very broad and varying definitions of rock n roll!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wow, you American geezers have some very broad and varying definitions of rock n roll!

I don't think that it has dawned on some people that what is now "Classick Rock" could also include anything from The Cars to Pearl Jam and most of the stuff they had previously labeled Classic Rock also falls into the "Oldies" category.....

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    "What a bunch of crap! You call that music? How can you listen to that noise? Turn that shit down!" ~ My Parents, circa Early 80s
    And MY parents in the 1960s.

And THEIR parents in the 1940s.

And THEIR parents in the 1920s.

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i have thought long and hard to contribute to this thread at all. i shall.

rock(‘n’roll) – as an attitude – is not dead. it is alive and well in just about any form of music imaginable.
    rock(‘n’roll) – as a style – died the moment that it became a posture and a pose.

and here comes the sweeping statement that you are all going to despise me for: stuff like this

http://www.raidingtherockvault.com

is equal to dancing on rock(‘n’roll)’s grave.

If I were to chastise the younger generation's musical tastes, well, I think I am making myself a hypocrite. I understood the "references" in songs from my generation because that was my generation making music to communicate with people my age. Im not expecting to be in my late 40s and understand the message of a 20-year-old singing a song about "sexting" to his girlfriend. That message isnt meant for my era. The same thing applies to the performance - the way they play their instruments or set up their live shows - its to communicate with each other within their generation.

I find it a bit creepy that Def Leppard had a song in the mid-2000s where Joe Elliot was singing about "Well, she was just 16...." Dude! - youre in your mid-40s! - whats the matter with you?!?"...... I dont think the messages and/or performance in songs by modern bands like My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, or whatever Emo Band of your choice may be, is meant for you. You can listen to it but dont expect to understand it

Rock will likely follow the same trajectory as another formerly popular music, jazz (in fact, it's already happening). Increasingly a niche music (however incremental that process), it will be "classisized", canonized, museumized, and legitimized as an autonomous “art” form remote from the social circumstances of its development, and reserved for the delectation of those sufficiently enculturated to it to "appreciate" it.

But--again like jazz--at the margins, hermetically sealed-off from and irrelevant to the larger culture, shit will be happening, and for a very simple reason: the music is its own reward.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

To me rock and roll was dominating for 40 years. About 1955 to 1995. After the grunge, there was not much for rock. That music is still alive, but like the jazz or the blues it's smelling funny.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    it's smelling funny.
    The problem is that it doesn't smell "funny" enough...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

R n'r is alive and kickin'. A lot of rockabilly bands doing well, - take Imelda May's band for example. Yeah it smells antique for many, but who cares. Show's still goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    To me rock and roll was dominating for 40 years. About 1955 to 1995.
    I'm jealous that you've been able to wipe the disco era from your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

All that being said, if they're realistic, a band like DP (and their label, for that matter) have a narrower definition of success that doesn't include stadiums in certain markets. That's why shared billing can be a big help in the US, for example. Many bands are too "proud" to share a bill with another classic band.
    DP did many "package tours" in the 90s and early 00's.

I saw them with Lynyrd Sknyrd, The Scorpions, ELP, Dio, Dream Theater, Thin Lizzy Ted Nugent & more.

These were three band shows that still didn't come close to selling out ( at Jones Beach theater NY)

All the money is in Europe.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

And me telling my son to turn down his horrible, vulgar & tasteless rap crap!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm jealous that you've been able to wipe the disco era from your memory.
    No the rock (on different form) was still very popular during the disco era. It was like a fight in between rockers and dancers. But Unfortunatly, the girls were on disco side :o)
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    And me telling my son to turn down his horrible, vulgar & tasteless rap crap!
    well, at least you didnt say talentless.........

No, no, no, no.

It's outside; looking in ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

rock n roll is stronger than ever afaic. get out to the clubs and stop reading bullshit that people who think they are smart are writing.

Classic Rock

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I don't think that it has dawned on some people that what is now "Classick Rock" could also include anything from The Cars to Pearl Jam and most of the stuff they had previously labeled Classic Rock also falls into the "Oldies" category.....
    Exactly and well said!

Oldie isn't a genre; oldie is a term. The term applies to radio format. Musicians don't go into a studio to record an oldie.

The radio stations cater to their demographic. The listeners who matter for an oldies station are the ones who are living and still drive cars. The demo looks at ages 35-55 and goes from there. That demo is looking for their songs from their childhood and formidable years. It's all a cycle. That's why "Welcome To The Jungle" is now considered an oldie and is accepted in modern commercial use; we can relate to it. If it was used commercially back in 1987, there would have been an uproar that such a heavy song was used. In 20-30 years Nsync, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, and Kid Rock will be on whatever form of oldies radio is airing. Then, the 70s and 80s will be relegated to what the 50s and 60s are these days on radio.

Out here in Los Angeles, we have a radio station named K-Earth 101. It has been an oldies station for decades. Here is some brief history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRTH

• In 1972, there was a switch to what was then called a "gold" format, featuring older hit songs from the past.

• In 1985, K-Earth shifted to what was becoming known as an "oldies" format, adopting the motto "Classic Rock and Roll." KRTH began promoting its "Good Time Oldies" image with frequent TV ads featuring Beach Boys music, classic cars, palms, and the ever present K-Earth jingle. The songs featured were from 1955–1984, though the focus was largely on the late 1960s and early 1970s. Doo-wop, early rock, Motown, girl groups, Elvis, and the Beatles were the mainstays of the station's music mix.

• K-Earth continued with its oldies format throughout the 1990s. Toward the end of the decade, older songs from before the British Invasion of 1964 were increasingly dropped from the playlist, and the station began to showcase the late 1960s, especially Motown music, to a much greater degree.

• With its demographic aging and ratings sagging, K-Earth, along with most oldies outlets across the country, began adding 1970s songs into the playlist in the early 2000s (decade). Artists such as Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Abba, the Bee Gees, Earth Wind and Fire, and Peter Frampton were combined with 1960s artists such as the Supremes and the Beatles.
    Now, fast forward to today... and here we have the inclusion of classic rock thrown into the mix.

Here is a post from a radio message board I go to each day:

check the thread and read the replies -- http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/inde...topic=234327.0

I have noticed that lately K-Earth has been very cautiously dipping its toe in a new pool of classic rock to try and add just a bit of variety to their improved but still tiresome on-air library. Of course they have always had artists like the Doobie Brothers and CCR which fit comfortably in both the classic rock and classic hits formats, but now they have become ever-so-slightly more aggressive by adding newcomers to the list that include Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing". Foreigner's "Double Vision", "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith, and just about all of the major hits by David Bowie (I guess he must test well these days). They haven't gone all in by any means - still no sign of Led Zep, Deep Purple, or Black Sabbath, so the kids are still safe.

The results have been decidedly K-Earthish, which is to say, if there is a new way for them to take the joy out of your old favorite songs, they will find it. To wit:

Heard "Young American's" by David Bowie this morning and they cut a full minute or more out of the song to, as Billy Joel once sang, "cut it down to 3:05". K-Earth has a long tradition of playing the three minute hit versions of otherwise longer songs such as the Doors' "Light My Fire", but this edit was so bad and it cut right from chorus to the end of the song's coda that it had to be a hack inside job. No label would release something that bad. I notice this stuff all the time because I am both a radio and music fan, but this hack splice job had to be jarring even to casual listeners.

Next Up, "Sultans of Swing". No edit here, but they quite obviously sped the song up. It's supposed to be a relaxed, somewhat bluesy song, but K-Earth's version felt like it was sprinting to the finish line. Maybe they do that with a lot of hit songs these days, so they think their audience won't notice, but certain classic rock hits are so ingrained in a lot of listeners minds they, like I, know exactly where every note goes and to hear the song messed with is again rather disconcerting. Makes me want to turn OFF a song I might otherwise want to turn UP. Whatever may happen, please God, do not let these people get ahold of the Steely Dan catalog!