Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Else Loathe Anime & Manga?

Current "Manga" YES!

Prior "Manga/Anime" not bad.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Also, kids do this stuff ad nauseum-if you are going to be an artist, it mght benefit you to work on their own style than to be one of yet another portfolios loaded with copycat anime/manga figures.
    I wasn't going to post here, but had to step in and agree with this. But, it ain't limited to kids. I know at least one adult (a former colleague) who pulled me aside to show me her work. It was simply amateurish knock-offs.

I really have no opinion of the genre.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    People develop their own style over time, and through conscious and deliberate effort. Everyone gains skill through mimicry, especially at first. Knocking kids and amateurs for imitating things they like seems lacking in a basic understanding of cultural transmission.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    People develop their own style over time, and through conscious and deliberate effort. Everyone gains skill through mimicry, especially at first. Knocking kids and amateurs for imitating things they like seems lacking in a basic understanding of cultural transmission.
    I don't think that's what's going on here. Yes, we all start out copying what we like. I cut the kids slack, but it's more of a statement about people thinking (or being led to believe) they have a chance to succeed in life by mimicking the work of others. (Yeah, I know, but I'm not talking about music.)

People can get caught up in their own bubbles and not realize that, while they may have talent, some formal training would make a huge difference and help them find their own identity. Often the problem is because they're coddled and not given objective advice or guidance.

But, that's another discussion for another time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've seen very little of this stuff, but I like Galaxy Express 999, which aired on PBS decades ago. I discovered it with my Dad, and it was so friggin' bizarre that we couldn't stop watching. I recently watched the DVD with my son, and he liked it too. It's really weird, and I think paved the way for a lot of the anime to come.

Also, the Studio Ghibli stuff is pretty interesting, and again weird. I wouldn't call it visually generic.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Now THAT'S Manga.
    I love Manga, not as sweet as Papaya and sweeter than Guava, it certainly hits the spot!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

my thoughts on this thread,been a fan of that genre since battle of the planets and macross. but going to japan in the navy helped me learn more about the genre. every decade has its hits and misses in anime and manga. i have to admit there is far too much stuff to watch and i can barely keep up with it all . giigle.jpg

Just heard an interview on NPR this morning with Art Spiegelman NYC comic artist of Maus. He said he started out as a young kid copying comics--many pages. Once he started doing so, he found there were short cuts inherit to the art, like making an S for the inside of ears, sometimes a >< for squinting eyes and so forth. So I'm sure it has its value. And any artform has its good and bad, you just have to have an open mind to appreciate it.

Its just a style of telling a story.
    Some of it is definitely uninteresting, and some is. Miyazaki's films are just amazingly great, he avoids the Disney-sentimentality and tells great stories.
    If you want more action, check out Tekkonkinkreet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekkonkinkreet

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its just a style of telling a story.
    Some of it is definitely uninteresting, and some is. Miyazaki's films are just amazingly great, he avoids the Disney-sentimentality and tells great stories.
    If you want more action, check out Tekkonkinkreet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekkonkinkreet
    Yeah, I like how Miyazaki's films don't make much sense, and some of the characters' motivations are really unclear or not well-defined. Like in Ponyo, Ponyo's "father" - he's not really good, he's not really bad. He's more just eccentric, and sort of selfish. And father to a bunch of little fish, somehow. Also, he's pretty much in drag for no good reason.

IMO its more like real life - nobody is 100% evil or 100% good, and there is often a reason. Like a coin, the larger the nice frontside is, the larger the backside is too.
    Myiazakis films are usually somehow about taking care of the planet and each other, whithout preaching or being PC. And the hero is usually a girl.

I can really recommend Tekkonkinkreet - great drawings and animation, and an unsual story. I first saw it at an artmuseum that had an exhibition about manga.

I like Ponyo--some of his movies I haven't cared too much for, but for whatever reason I found it interesting, and very colorful. Need to check out Tekkonkinkreet, thanks.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I love Manga, not as sweet as Papaya and sweeter than Guava, it certainly hits the spot!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I don't know, I always enjoyed Mach GoGoGo, Jungle Taitei, Kingu Kongu 001/7 Oyayubi Tomu, and Tetsujin 28-go.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    it is one thing to copy and another to learn art skills. Anyone can copy whatever the hell is the big anime thingy is today without learning about how to compose a drawing, proportion and such.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I like cartoons, heck I grew upon the stuff. Speed Racer, LooneyTunes, Super Heroes (Superman, Hulk etc). Love most of the Pixar films, Avatar, the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. My oldest loves anime/manga. She's even making her own outfit for Halloween based on a character that i don't remember the name of. Dad approved of course. She draws the characters, makes her own comics based on them, and now wants to learn Japanese. It has got her to go to the bookstore with me on many occasions. I have to say I don't like most of it, especially the music but every now and then, I'll hear something and it is quite good. She lights up when I say there is something that I like and we can share. Then I get the data dump about whatever series it is. I can relate to really enjoying something that the rest of my family and most of my friends don't appreciate. I like Progressive Music!

I like Gigantor - should I get a pair of Woody Allen glasses and an oversized wooly sweater, a pineapple haircut and cloth baseball boots.

Loathe?

I don't particularly care for most anime and manga, but to loathe them would be, as Kurt Vonnegut put it, like donning a full suit of armor to attack an ice cream sundae.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.