Thread: Pallas - The Sentinel. A question about remasters.

Pallas - The Sentinel. A question about remasters.

I just noticed that my 1992 Centaur release was superseded by Inside Out releases in 2001 and 2004. Does anyone have any views as to the sonic qualities of these later releases in comparison? I can't take a punt at the price Amazon is asking!

Thanks

I helped to oversee the re-issue of both The Sentinel and The Wedge and both are great packages. Remastered by Niall Mathewson and featuring liner notes, additional video tracks and rare photos. The Wedge also features the original artwork and bonus tracks (from the Knightmoves EP). Far superior to the Centaur versions IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    I helped to oversee the re-issue of both The Sentinel and The Wedge and both are great packages. Remastered by Niall Mathewson and featuring liner notes, additional video tracks and rare photos. The Wedge also features the original artwork and bonus tracks (from the Knightmoves EP). Far superior to the Centaur versions IMO.
    From the horse's mouth! Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look out for it.

The Sentinel is one of my all-time favourite neo-prog albums, and I dug it out recently to revisit it.

It had quite an interesting background, and the band had their challenges getting it released, but it's stood the test of time.

I've put together a blog post sharing my memories on the build-up to the album's recording, the reaction to its release, and a comparison between the original vinyl version and the Centaur cd reissue.

If that interests any of you, then you're welcome to browse my latest blog post:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....sentinel-1984/

You should do a contrast between the American mix and the British mix. I'd be interested in reading that, as I've never heard the British issue.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You should do a contrast between the American mix and the British mix. I'd be interested in reading that, as I've never heard the British issue.
    Always regret not buying the extended release when it came out!

Count me as a fan of the album. A great "prog what-if" for me is what if they got to do the album as originally intended? Some of the versions of the songs on the Sentinel Demos are IMO superior (obviously not in sound quality of course) to the official versions. The mellotron-soaked Rise and Fall being a great example.

Jeff

FYI: every cd edition except for this one https://www.discogs.com/Pallas-The-S...elease/8231635 is not the same as the original LP. For the cd edition they added some tracks (Shock Treatment, EastWest, Heart Attack) and cut Rise And Fall in two parts. I don't mind it because this was the version I got to know first. But I am thinking about getting this Japanese edition.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    FYI: every cd edition except for this one https://www.discogs.com/Pallas-The-S...elease/8231635 is not the same as the original LP. For the cd edition they added some tracks (Shock Treatment, EastWest, Heart Attack) and cut Rise And Fall in two parts. I don't mind it because this was the version I got to know first. But I am thinking about getting this Japanese edition.
    Considering the band was never happy with the original release because of the mix and because of not being able to include the Atlantis suite (only two tracks were included, and even they were split up from each other), I'm not really interested in hearing the original release. From everything I've read, fans at the time were also disappointed.

So I think the "extended" version is actually the "real" album, while the original was a disappointment to band and fans alike.