Thread: Supertramp - Famous Last Words

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Supertramp - Famous Last Words

The swansong of the collaboration between Davies and Hodgson, and it's often said this album shows the formula was gone, the fire and freshness were gone, and more bla-bla. Although I rank the album a tad below "Breakfast In America", it's a freakin' great album. So it deserves more credit. All of the 9 tracks have some value, but the two closing tracks rank among the best Supertramp has done IMO:

especially the end-section gives me goosebumps alover!

Plus:

My favorite track on the album is probably the most shameless pop song-- "Bonnie". To my mind it works better than the more ambitious/spiritual/proggy stuff that used to come naturally.

My reaction to "C';est Le Bon" was "Why's he singing about the guy from Duran Duran"?

You know... I don't think I've ever even heard this album. I got off the 'Tramp bandwagon when BIA was blaring all over the airwaves...

Recently purchased the Live In Paris '79 Blu-Ray and it's a solid set of music!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You know... I don't think I've ever even heard this album. I got off the 'Tramp bandwagon when BIA was blaring all over the airwaves...

Recently purchased the Live In Paris '79 Blu-Ray and it's a solid set of music!
    So how do like the two tracks above?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is the album that got me off the band wagon, can't stand it, just to happy clappy pop. Paris is a great live album & Brother Where You Bound was pretty good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    So how do like the two tracks above?
    I can't listen from work...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This is the album that got me off the band wagon, can't stand it, just to happy clappy pop. Paris is a great live album & Brother Where You Bound was pretty good.
    Yes but still an interesting first post. Just way too sugary for me. Brother Where You Bound was a return to form.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    On second thought - I agree Waiting So Long sounds decent (it doesn't hurt at all that Rick sings here, much prefer his vocals) - overall, I don't like the album though. I wouldn't rate them nearly alongside the classics, like Crime, every song eviscerates the two songs listed above.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-28-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The only song I really remember from this one is It's Raining Again, which I always liked. I'll have to dig it out and give it another listen.

Waiting So Long could have worked if it had had quirkier Klaatu-esque production, imo. It all just sounds like Tramp on auto-pilot to me; the equivalent of Momentary Lapse Of Reason. It sounds like songs written by a Supertramp algorithm with lazy (albeit freakishly clean) production.

I adore this album! LOVE IT TO DEATH!!!
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

I'd say that although they were beginning to lose steam, they still had plenty left to result in a pretty good album. My favorite songs here are the beautiful "C'est Le Bon" and "Don't Leave Me Now", which I've always found haunting both lyrically and musically.

I rate Breakfast In America as an A, and Famous Last Words as B+.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

One of the tracks on this album features an almost note-for-note copy of the first part of John Miles’ “Nice Man Jack.” I can’t remember if it’s “Don’t Leave Me Now” or “Waiting So Long.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Summer Weekend of a Lifetime”-Cressida/Asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Clepsydra View Post
    Me too. I've had it since it was released and I play it more than any other Supertramp album that I own.

it's a great album, not as commercial as Breakfast In America. but has some really deep tracks on it. i recently read that the song Brother Where You Bound (a then 9 minute version) was supposed to be included on FLW, but was taken off last minute. the tension between Rick & Roger was evident and it was the beginning of the end of their association. Roger left after this tour. i prefer the epic style 16 minute version of BWYB, but it would have been interesting to see how it would have fit in on FLW.

OK, interesting fact which came up when I interviewed Roger Hodgson recently...

Brother Where You Bound and Cannonball were originally intended for this album. However, tensions in the band were so bad at this time that they ended up compromising and just recording the simpler stuff.

Imagine how good this album COULD have been...
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order. AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clepsydra View Post

With Waiting So Long and Don't Leave Me Now , you named the only two goos/acceptable/worthy songs

Yup Canonball and Brother would've been a great improvement for this album... But I'm happy that they weren't because the Brother Album is hunf-dreds time better than FLW

I got off the 'Tramp bandwagon when BIA was blaring all over the airwaves...
    I was totally disillusioned and indeed sort of boycotted the album for a while, partly because of the stinking MTV videos... It's only in the 904s Irealized there were two OK tracks on it...

I'm glad that Canonball enthused me enough (despite it's 70's sonics), so I dug Brither instantly after taking it home.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My pet name for "Waiting So Long" is "The Pink Floyd Tango." Still love that one, though, and I can't help but like "It's Raining Again", happy-pop or no.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silent Man View Post
    Brother Where You Bound and Cannonball were originally intended for this album. However, tensions in the band were so bad at this time that they ended up compromising and just recording the simpler stuff.
    Wonder if Roger also had anything like "Sleeping With the Enemy". Could've been the best original Supertramp album instead of the worst!

^^^ it's funny, if Roger didn't leave- the next Supertramp album would have been the best stuff from Brother Where You Bound & In The Eye Of The Storm. that would have been the best ever album from them.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Wonder if Roger also had anything like "Sleeping With the Enemy". Could've been the best original Supertramp album instead of the worst!
    Nah, Indelibly Stamped is still worse, although I have a soft spot for bits on both albums.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“L’exil”-Harmonium/En tournée

I think this is an under-rated album. I always liked it. I like Crazy too but not crazy about "It's Raining Again". I skip that one but everything else sounds nice. It doesn't tank up there with Crime, Breakfast and EITQM but I still enjoy it. I agree if BWYB and ITEOTS's best tracks together would have made a fantastic follow up Supertramp album. I don't think they valued Roger Hodgson enough or at least Rick didn't. Shame. Great band!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Nah, Indelibly Stamped is still worse, although I have a soft spot for bits on both albums.
    Well, every ST album has at least one or two acceptable or almost good tracks... Only does Free As A Bird have only one (An Awful Thing To Waste)

in the case of Stamped, Aries ind a shorter track (name escapes me now) saves it from the total dreck pile.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.