Thread: From Indonesia: simakDialog, from France: Jean Louis at Orion - September 7

From Indonesia: simakDialog, from France: Jean Louis at Orion - September 7

Orion Studios
    2903 Whitting Ave
    Suite C
    Baltimore, MD 21230

phone: 410-646-7334

www.orionsound.com

8:00 pm, Saturday September 7th

simakDialog (from Indonesia)

This show has been years in the making! Finally, after a couple of false starts, Indonesia’s simakDialog are making their first trip to the western hemisphere! Their performance here will follow by only a week their first-ever US appearance at the annual ProgDay festival in Chapel Hill, NC. Freakwent attendies of the showcases here have heard cuts from their fourth album, “Patahan“, their first on Moonjune Records. By the time they get here they should have released their sixth album, also on Moonjune, titled “The 6th Story“.
    SimakDialog are a critically-acclaimed progressive ensemble that has been crafting a unique amalgam of modern progressive fusion, free jazz, psychedelia, progressive rock, world music and native musical dialects for over 20 years. Founded in 1993, in Jakarta, Indonesia, by the brilliant keyboardist and composer, RIZA ARSHAD, simakDialog has reached “cult” status in a land known for its rich cultural and artistic heritage.

Augmented by the world-class guitar stylings of TOHPATI (himself, a band leader and MoonJune Records recording artist), fabulous bass work of ADHITHYA PRATAMA, and the intricate, interwoven layers of rhythm from three superb percussionists (ENDANG RAMDAN, ERLAN SUWARDANA, and newest member, CUCU KURNIA), simakDialog is a band that has continued to steam through uncharted waters since its inception. Their five albums reflect a continued progression of music that looks and reaches to the future, while being highly cognizant of the moment and still embracing a musical heritage which dates back centuries. Theirs is a music that is every bit as unpredictable as it is captivating and enthralling, earning them numerous prestigious music awards in Indonesia and, more recently, recognition and accolades on a much larger scale.

2007 marked the band’s international debut on MoonJune Records with the release of Patahan. The album and its follow-up — 2009′s resplendent effort, Demi Masa — prompted enthusiastic reviews in more than 25 countries and allured legions of appreciative new listeners from around the globe. Currently, simakDialog is set to release their long-awaited sixth album — and third for MoonJune Records — in August, 2013.

Having performed previously in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Nepal, Germany and The Netherlands, the band is poised and eager to bring their stirring musical performance for the first time to their fans scattered across the Western Hemisphere.

-----

Jean Louis (from France)

Jean Louis is a French trio comprised of double bass, drums, and trumpet. With their compact and distorted grooves, Jean Louis create music out of wood, metal and electronic sounds. They worked underground for two years to develop and refine their rhythmic form to create compositions that are strongly riff based and explosive.

In la Defense’s National Jazz Competition in 2007, Jean Louis took secound prize, Joachim Florent and Francesco Pastacaldi took the first and third soloist prizes, respectively. In 2008, they went abroad and participated in such events as: Le Triton aux Lilas, The Hermitage’s Studio, The Olympic Cafe in Paris, The European (First part of Fantazio), The Rhino Jazz Festival (Gier River), and The Tuning Fork in Cherbourg.

Jean Louis acheive their massive sound with the use of the trumpet and double bass, often with electronic effects, and their stellar drum work. The Trio’s influences include artists such as Zu, Marc Ducret, Meshuggah, Melvins, Varese, Stravinksi, Zakir, Hussein, Fela Kuti, Miles Davis, and Fred Frith… On a quest for the freedom of expression, they create an in-depth jump into musical experimentation that is far from any cliches while constantly evolving.

----

Showcase Rulz:
    • All Ages Show
    • BYOB
    • Small Folding Chair OK (no arms)
    • Cover $20
    • Directions : http://www.orionsound.com/?page_id=226

------

Next Show
    Sat., September 21st
    Morglbl
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-28-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Should be a very cool show...always wanted to see Jean Louis
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    moi aussi
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'd love to see Simak Dialog, myself...love their stuff. But --new bass player? I thought Indro what's-his-name was their guy....?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I saw them in Germany last year - they are excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    [CENTER][B]
    • Small Folding Chair OK (no arms)

A road trip to Orion seems necessary given the truncation of SimakDialog's amazing ProgDay performance - as well as a burning desire to hear Jean Louis.

I don't recall the exclusion of folding chairs with arms at the last (and first) Orion show I attended.
    Could the parenthetical be referring to a rule about guns rather than the nature of the chairs?

No...no chairs with arms

What happened with their set at Progday? The rain?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yes. It poured briefly during the prep for their spot, but then clear up. They were in the midst of their 4th (?) number when the storm crept up behind us and started blowing canopies over and then came the rain.

Simak got to play about one hour before the rain cut their set short.

Welcome to Progday!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It was nice that SimakDialog got an early start, thanks, I understand, to ThankYou Scientist being really fast at both setting up and breaking down after their set. So Simak started, what, 30 minutes? before their appointed time (knowing the storms were coming) and so did get about an hour into their set before the storms hit and put a huge exclamation point at the end of this year's ProgDay!

Only 12 hours until showtime!

Great show last night. Jean Louis were hot hot hot. For me, Simak was a bit of a letdown in comparison-great keyboardist and guitarist-they definitely have great chops but the mellow bits after the intensity of Jean Louis didn't work as well for me. Great show, though; Thanks to all involved!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    Great show last night. Jean Louis were hot hot hot. For me, Simak was a bit of a letdown in comparison-great keyboardist and guitarist-they definitely have great chops but the mellow bits after the intensity of Jean Louis didn't work as well for me. Great show, though; Thanks to all involved!
    So glad you enjoyed Jean Louis! They were excellent in Wurzburg and kept the fire burning hot in Baltimore. I'm so glad they had an opportunity to come to the U.S. (first time), if only for a few performances - and I look forward to future endeavors by this talented trio.

Debi

It was a thoroughly enjoyable show. We liked the contrasts between the bands and appreciated some of the more mellow moments of SD after the non-stop wildness of JL. Given the opportunity, we would be very happy to see either band again. Thanks, Debi, for the role you played in making the event happen. Your contributions to promoting great music on the east coast cannot be overstated.

I was pretty pleased by the opportunity to get a tin-packaged CD and some vinyl from JL.

A bunch of other great shows appear to be on the horizon at the Orion.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Another band to add to my 'to see' wish list. They seem to be getting added as quick as I knock them off.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Another band to add to my 'to see' wish list. They seem to be getting added as quick as I knock them off.
    With me, as well...!

wow, what a great show! and wonderful to see everybody.

that foldup bass was approximately the coolest instrument I've ever seen. (from Jean Louis) my jaw was pretty much on the floor the whole time - especially when he was playing it like a giant cello!

I liked SimakDialog best when it was *just* the traditional percussionists going nuts.

thanks Mike, Debi, and all who helped make the show happen!

laura

Yep, excellent show. Jean Louis has been on my "need to see" list for a while now, great to finally check them off.

^ ^ ^ what he said ^ ^ ^
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

And nobody mentioned Beledo, well, I just did.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^^^^ A nice surprise and very cool guitar duel.
    Tom