Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need new cans!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just ordered up a pair of Grado SR 80i's! $99...great reviews...thanks for the recommendations!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Just ordered up a pair of Grado SR 80i's! $99...great reviews...thanks for the recommendations!

Rick
    Great choice!

Could be the best under $100 phones available.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I have Sennheiser HD595s and think they're great, though I've noticed they're a little darker sounding than my Shure SE535 in-ear monitors that I use for my work as a musician. Then again, the Shures were $500.

These are the updated version. I also have had a pair of HD 595s for 4 years and love them.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Hea...=Sennheiser+HD

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    NADY QH560 - Is anybody familiar with these? A guy I used to work with had them at work. The reviews are all over the place. This place has 'em cheap and you get a free pair:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...y-two-and-save

Banned
    Damn!! Thought this was about a woman needing new boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Pick up a pair of INDUSTRY STANDARD Sony MDR7506's.. These headphones are used in over 50 percent of ALL studio's today. U.S. about $130. Not only are they incredible, but they come apart and everything is replacable if it ever wears out. These are the ones to buy. Period. They are a little bass light, but make up for it in pure clarity. Very neutral sounding.
    I was in the market -- well sorta -- for some new new sealed headphones for watching TV/listening to music while the wife is still sleeping, and at $78 (Amazon) this was almost a pocket change purchase. They arrived tonight, and I gave them a quick preview.

Initial impression: Yes, very nice clear midrange. Imaging is detailed with a very good soundstage. The high end is good without being overbearing, which is to say present but not sizzling. Probably good for long periods of listening. The low end, far from being "a little light" I found to be a bit tubby in the 250-400Hz range, but certainly not objectionable. On several sources the low-end, like the extreme highs, was present without being overly impressive. It sounds to me like their usable frequency range is 80-10,000 which is not bad.

Sound isolation is impressive -- you cannot hear them from six inches away even at rockin' volumes on your head. This cannot be said about some of my favorite open air cans.

In short a good solid headphone, comfortable, sounds like it's designed for long periods of listening without fatigue and perfect for TV. A good value at $78.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-30-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Incidentally, my old TV headphones, the ones my new Sonys replace/supplement, are Beyer Dynamic DT-231 Pros. Their response is a little flatter than the Sonys but don't isolate as well, and have a skosh less high end. Also they do sit *on* the ears instead of *over* them, so 2-3 hours with them gives cauliflower ears.

Good TV cans. I wouldn't try to master with them though.

Sonys either for that matter