Thread: A good batch of albums for a rainy day-off Monday?

A good batch of albums for a rainy day-off Monday?

I'm off today (well, I'm always off Mondays because I work Saturdays instead) and my wife was called in to work. It's rainy out there and gloomy in here. I've got the place to myself, a pot of coffee on and I'm ready to dive in to a batch of albums. Here's what I chose. Thoughts? Reviews? Criticisms? Questions on why I would create an unnecessary thread like this and why it's in this forum and not that one, etc.?

Here you have it... this is the musical mood I'm in right now. What rainy day albums do you guys like?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Funny, a lot of the Cathedral album has a summery feel for me, (kind of yes-like). It depends though, if I'm alone and really feeling introspective, I'd say Bo Hansson (any of them) or Anthony Phillips (Soiree, Ivory Moon, Slow Dance, New England as examples). If I'm in a more upbeat mood, perhaps 'The Watch' (the one about The Earth, or Vacuum), or better yet, 'Foxtrot' is probably the best for this kind of day. Big Big Train works well too. If I'm with my wife, Prefab Sprout (any of them), or possibly Kaitlyn ni Donovan (Songs For Three Days), or a similar artist like Kate Bush.

May I suggest you get rid of that ugly white tray on your Spring Cd, and replace with a black one... much classier... it may even bring a ray of sunshine into your place
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I should add to my list both Hatfield and the North studio albums, and 'Missing Pieces' from National Health (especially for Clocks and Clouds-one of the best cloudy/rainy songs ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    May I suggest you get rid of that ugly white tray on your Spring Cd, and replace with a black one... much classier... it may even bring a ray of sunshine into your place
    Yes, the white CD tray IS ugly, especially since it has yellowed over the years. I've got hundreds of trays, I think I will take you up on your suggestion and replace it!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I should add to my list both Hatfield and the North studio albums, and 'Missing Pieces' from National Health (especially for Clocks and Clouds-one of the best cloudy/rainy songs ever)
    Ohhh, good stuff!

One that I forgot is the Arachnoid album - something about that I always like on a rainy day.

BTW, the Fantasia album was perfectly suited to the general mood and vibe of today.
    Last edited by Progatron; 08-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    (especially for Clocks and Clouds-one of the best cloudy/rainy songs ever)
    "Rainy Day Dream Away" from Electric Ladyland

Never heard of the Fantasia CD, all the others look good enough. Sort of dream-like, mood inspired stuff. How about some Santana Caravanserai?

Get rid of em all and spin some Air Supply!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I have all of those , except maybe the one in the upper left hand corner. It looks familar, but I can't quite place it at the moment.

Good choices!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Never heard of the Fantasia CD
    Oh, I love that album. Relatively obscure, or it was until finally released on CD only a couple of years back by Rocket Records. I had it for years as a set of vinyl-sourced mp3s, complete with the pops and clicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I have all of those , except maybe the one in the upper left hand corner. It looks familar, but I can't quite place it at the moment.

Good choices!
    That's Manning - Anser's Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

That's Manning - Anser's Tree.
    Thanks for the info. The only one out of the bunch that I don't own and have never heard.

Thanks for the info. The only one out of the bunch that I don't own and have never heard.
    Kind of the odd man out in that batch, actually, both stylistically and chronologically. I already had that one out to listen to last night but didn't get around to it. The rest are 70s titles.

Nice to see someone else with the Fantasia album!