Thread: Broken English - Marianne Faithfull

Broken English - Marianne Faithfull

What an "effing" album !!!!

It's about the only thing I ever liked from her discography (a few songs here and there, liste Morphine), but this one is head and shoulders above all the rest... She hits the spot on almost akll of the tracks with her incredibly bitter-sounding voce: Brain Drain, Hurry, Why'd dya Do It and the awesome cover of Working Class Hero

Actually Ballad of Lucy Jordan is among the weaker (slightly) tracks of the album

Thoughts??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

With this album, she came to Patty Smith's height as "punkstress"

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Could never stick her. Like Dylan, Neil Young, Geddy Lee she's got one of those voices you either love or hate....and I don't love it.

She appeared on Saturday Night Live when the album came out, but the night before she had a cocaine binge that totaled her voice. So when it came time to do the show, she was basically croaking the vocal, if you will. I saw this thing on VH-1 where someone said it made for "riveting television" or whatever, but to me it was more sad than "riveting" (whatever that entails).

The only song I know from this album is Broken English itself, which strikes me as a pretty good tune. I understand was a hit in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Could never stick her. Like Dylan, Neil Young, Geddy Lee she's got one of those voices you either love or hate....and I don't love it.
    Well!!!! YOUR LOSS!!!!!!!!

'Why'd Ya Do It' had some notoriety at the time of release, and the lyrics were pretty strong, but musically I thought it was really tame.

Only 'Witches Song' from the album really chilled me. 'Death is far away / and life is sweet'. Yeah, she could be mean when she wanted.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Ya know, something I saw on TV a few years back was a version of As Tears Go By, which she did with Bill Frissell on guitar and I think Fernando Saunders on bass. It was really cool, the entire song was built on a loop Frissell had created, sounded very different from the original recording. I actually thought it was a new recording, but I guess it was something she had done back in the late 80's, so it was already something like 15 years old by the time I remember hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    'Why'd Ya Do It' had some notoriety at the time of release, and the lyrics were pretty strong, but musically I thought it was really tame.

Only 'Witches Song' from the album really chilled me. 'Death is far away / and life is sweet'. Yeah, she could be mean when she wanted.
    Yeah, Why Did'd ya certainly has very provocative and graphic lyrics (especially about her cheating BF spitting on her snatch)... I find that some live version of tracks differ a fair bit from the studio album throughout the years (and that's good) and some versions of Why'd Ya are actually very musicaly tense (so lame is not a word I would use for that track)

You should read the lyrics of Brain Drain, if you want mean and chilling lyrics

BTW: Broken English lyrics are about left-wing German activist-terrorists

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well!!!! YOUR LOSS!!!!!!!!
    Maybe, but I've still got Sinead, Kate, Tori, Enya, Joni, Joan, Judy, Emmylou, Maddy, June, Mary B, Mary C, Dolores, Annie, Marie,Lene, Nina H, Hazel, Diamanda, von Otter, Fever Ray, Lana, Dionne, Aretha, Nina S, Duffy, Adele, Etta, Sandy, Petula and Dusty to name just a few....so I'm not really missing out at all, am I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9PYPvMz-Wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgTkulDrXA