Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

Wobbler

Does anyone know what's up with these guys with regards to new studio work? I'd love another album but I have no idea if that's in the cards. I really enjoy all three of their albums... I may be in the minority in that I actually prefer the first two releases to Rites At Dawn but I love that one too.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Earth calling Jacob!

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Earth calling Jacob!
    Hmm, maybe he's on a holiday. Normally he's quite quick, and he should know. Anyway, I'm in the camp that only likes "Rites Of Dawn", but the first two left me somewhat cold. Maybe I should revisit?

Funny, I came across that video when I thought of these guys a couple of weeks ago. I too hope they're still planning another album. Last news I heard was quite a while ago (on the previous site) and they were working on one then...

I love all of their releases. Revisiting their performance on the NF2005 DVD is always a nice walk down memory-lane.

I'm in the camp that only likes "Rites Of Dawn", but the first two left me somewhat cold. Maybe I should revisit?
    Worth a try! "Clair Obscur" is just gorgeous IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm in the camp that only likes "Rites Of Dawn", but the first two left me somewhat cold. Maybe I should revisit?
    I don't personally think Hinterland is all that good, though I've never found it bad enough to get rid or. My favorite track on that is Rubato Industry. The next one, Afterglow, which revisits the original demo tracks is my personal favorite. They are in sort of "Anglagard" mode on this album and I find it musically the most interesting. Rites at Dawn is more song oriented, with far stronger vocal arrangements and performances. You may want to give Afterglow another shot, but depending on what you like, it may not be worth it as the style and focus of the band has changed pretty dramatically with their third release.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I don't personally think Hinterland is all that good, though I've never found it bad enough to get rid or..... The next one, Afterglow, which revisits the original demo tracks is my personal favorite. They are in sort of "Anglagard" mode on this album and I find it musically the most interesting.
    What I liked immediately about Hinterland was that I detected so much more in the influences than I had expected to after reading the initial early reviews... PFM, Museo Rosenbach, some Gentle Giant among the other more well-known influences. I love Afterglow as well (despite it being painfully short!) .... "In Taberna" is another one of my favourite tracks.

the style and focus of the band has changed pretty dramatically with their third release.
    Yes, and I almost feel I would have been disappointed in that album had the music not been so strong. Some fantastic moments again, just not quite on par with the first two for me personally. I probably listen to it as much as the others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, and I almost feel I would have been disappointed in that album had the music not been so strong. Some fantastic moments again, just not quite on par with the first two for me personally. I probably listen to it as much as the others though.
    Yeah, I need to spin Rites at Dawn again, it's been a while. I like it, but it isn't as "flashy" musically as Afterflow, and I like things a bit on the flashy side. But Rites is still a good album and I need to spend more time with it.

Bill

I think the debut is excellent. All three are very strong, though they really changed directions with the 3rd album. Cool band, I'm looking forward to more music from them.

I got Rites on green vinyl today. Played the whole thing right away. I think I've bought five copies of it on CD; even my eldest son got one for Christmas last year.

Afterglow is great as well, but I could never really enjoy the debut as much.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This is another live performance that blew me away and gave me an appreciation for how good the band is, but was particularly impressed with the vocalist. Damn! Enough to embarrass anyone that's ever used Autotune!

Wish the audio quality was better, but these guys kick butt on so many levels it makes no diff.

I recognize the drummer, keyboardist, and bassist, but Is this indeed the same vocalist and lead guitarist present on Rites?

Yes, this is A. Prestmoe, their current vocalist who's also the singer on Rites. He's the guitarist/singer in another retro-progressive band as well, Father Robin - whom many people in PE would probably dig. They have an EP out on vinyl these days.

The guitarist is new, I think. I saw this lineup with 80+ paying onviewers earlier this summer (in the mid of the holidays!) at Revolver club in Oslo, and they smoked.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, this is A. Prestmoe, their current vocalist who's also the singer on Rites. He's the guitarist/singer in another retro-progressive band as well, Father Robin - whom many people in PE would probably dig. They have an EP out on vinyl these days.
    Just checking out their EP on Soundcloud (linked from their facebook page). Nice stuff! Hadn't heard of it before. 'The Chronicles Of Father Robin', according to their page.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    This is another live performance that blew me away and gave me an appreciation for how good the band is, but was particularly impressed with the vocalist. ]
    "Penis!" "Satan!" "Poang!"
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    LOL! I know! WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Don't forget the HAT

Wobbler wobbles but they don't fall down.

I hope they are still around.

Afterglow, which revisits the original demo tracks is my personal favorite.
    +1.
    Though I need to give Rites At Dawn a bit more time.

All their releases are great.

I like the first and third the best (Hinterland and Rites), but the second is OK, too. The second is a little too Gentle-Giantish for me. And I love Gentle Giant. But I don't need knockoff GG.

I cant pick a favorite Wobbler album, but 'In Orbit' is one of the finest pieces of music I've heard (from Rites) the 4 to 7 minute mark is beyond words. Love those chords!!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I cant pick a favorite Wobbler album, but 'In Orbit' is one of the finest pieces of music I've heard (from Rites) the 4 to 7 minute mark is beyond words. Love those chords!!
    Yep - the quiet parts in that section with guitar + keys reminds me of something off Genesis' Trespass. The vocals there hail Yes' Yes a bit, so it's a neat combo that is distinctly Wobbler.

Been several months... any word from those 'in the know'? I saw a photo this morning on Änglagård's Facebook page showing them writing/rehearsing new material (which excites me to no end!), but I'm also still wondering about new Wobbler stuff. Perhaps I missed any reports since initially making this thread.... anyone?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    To be honest, the Jon Anderson-ish vocals on Rites were a bit of a turn off, and even though the music was well done, it all ended up sound to me like they were trying to mimic Glass Hammer, which is definitely not the direction I expected or wanted them to go in. Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but I didn't really care much for the Yes direction from Glass Hammer either. I wanted Wobbler to keep as much of the Norwegian sound as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    To be honest, the Jon Anderson-ish vocals on Rites were a bit of a turn off, and even though the music was well done, it all ended up sound to me like they were trying to mimic Glass Hammer, which is definitely not the direction I expected or wanted them to go in. Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but I didn't really care much for the Yes direction from Glass Hammer either. I wanted Wobbler to keep as much of the Norwegian sound as possible.
    Interesting that you would compare the 3rd Wobbler to GH. Now that you mention it, it's a fair comparison. With GH, the Perilous album shows that Yes sound still present, but they remembered to sound like GH this time out. The music is far more original. Maybe a new Wobbler album in the same Yes-like direction will do the same thing, retaining more of that "nordic" sound you expect from them. Would be a nice mix.