Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

And a shit-ton more less challenging and not half as creative that make million$$$$ upon million$$$$.

^ Billions, Frankerman. They make billions over billions and yet billions even more.

But you're essentially true in that practically no one make dose ol' timez feel as goodz'n'cozy again as dose aWobbanobs. So they truly deserve every bit of praise that's coming to them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Presumably the "mindlessness" was a token of his own zen process of listening, in which he doesn't necessarily crave "challenge" - it was obviously not an accusation against the music itself.

There's admittedly a lot of far more challenging (progressive) rock music out there than Wobbler.
    I don’t know what you consider challenging, but I’m up for a challenge, so please throw a suggestion this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    If Wobbler is mindless, what do you consider intelligent?
    Did anyone suggest that Wobbler is mindless? Why don't you first read what the guy wrote. Or is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    I don’t know what you consider challenging, but I’m up for a challenge, so please throw a suggestion this way.
    Not to derail. But I suppose it's not about "suggestions" or about what I personally consider challenging, it's about what is usually considered somewhat more elaborate than a rock'n'rolled classical mimesis anno 1969-75, for instance in terms of basic music theory and its formal application as execution. To this end, names such as Orthrelm, Ruins, Blotted Science, U Totem, Zs, PAK, Normal Love, Tipographica, Woodson's Ellipsis, The Flying Luttenbachers, Cheval de Frise, Hyrrokkin, Spastic Ink, Ahvak, Many Arms, PoiL, Naked City, Dysrhythmia, P.O.N., The Locust, MuvovuM, Behold the Arctopus or for that matter the earlier mentioned 5uu's and Thinking Plague plus some dozen others could be said to have advanced beyond those 70s.

I mean, half a century has passed since then so why shouldn't things move on. It doesn't imply one -has- to like or even respect it.

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Normal Love on a Wobbler thread? I'm in!! Two great bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Did anyone suggest that Wobbler is mindless? Why don't you first read what the guy wrote. Or is that too much to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Listening to them is like slipping into the warmest, softest, fluffiest robe imaginable. Just mindless pleasure!!!
    Literally quoted him, dude. Scrotum Scissor clarified miamiscot’s intension though. Calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Normal Love on a Wobbler thread? I'm in!! Two great bands.
    They should merge into a Happy Cow concoction - you know, like a Wobblove or Normler.

But oh boy, we're always calm in here, even amidst the glowing storms of winter white hell.

My review of the new Wobbler is now up. I hope you guys like it!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/wobb...-deep-karisma/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Granted I haven't heard the actual album yet, but the review itself is forcefully written with contemplative balance, the craft of subversive suggestion and that meticulous girth of associative colorite which I suppose has become somewhat mandatory for recensions on the "known". Basically you're asking the question of whether it holds up in terms of established and expected points of appeal, which is a good thing - as I understand that it's primarily intended for an insider audience. And so it goes - "Ya won't be disappointed!" - but as a potential (insider) listener I'd arguably also want to know if, say, there are any new instruments involved this time, what the lyrics are about and whether they appear to have evolved within their own compartment (the lyrics, I mean). As for the band itself you seem to indicate that they have actually bettered themselves. But to what extent are their aims "obvious" and to which degree do the results comply with those aims?

All in all a very good writeup. Thanks for posting, and I'm looking even more forward to the record as such now!

Much appreciated input, thanks for that! Truth be told, it's difficult for me to tell if there's an evolution in the lyrics, as I've rarely paid much attention to them on any of their albums. Perhaps that's to the detriment of my review as it does omit a facet important to others, but it would be insincere of me to write much about them in a forced effort to pretend they matter much to me (they don't with a great many bands, not just Wobbler). So that lopsidedness is the price paid for writer and reader alike.

I wasn't given a PR sheet with any details about instruments or the like, but I didn't notice anything wildly different in that department or I probably would have mentioned it. I could be proven wrong on that score however! But suffice to say, it's the standard Wobbly array of instruments.

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Great review!! Matches a lot of my impressions, as we've discussed. I think you really summed it up beautifully! I may steal a few of these ideas for my radio review... it's the highest form of flattery, you know!

Bill

Lorne...once again so impressed by your writing skills! Thanks again for another fantastic review. Can't wait to spin that green/purple plastic circle on that diamond tip
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Excellent review!! Where can I pick up a copy?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks also Lorne for posting the video clip. I can't wait to pick up my copy!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Regarding the clip, that is simple stunning example of the future direction of progressive rock. The vocals are excellent too. I checked Amazon, they had 3 releases by Wobbler but not the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Great review!! Matches a lot of my impressions, as we've discussed. I think you really summed it up beautifully! I may steal a few of these ideas for my radio review... it's the highest form of flattery, you know!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Lorne...once again so impressed by your writing skills! Thanks again for another fantastic review. Can't wait to spin that green/purple plastic circle on that diamond tip
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thank you friends, your kind words are so appreciated. Lars sent me a message saying the review was 'a joy to read', which made my day.

There should be a couple of purchase links at the bottom, but here in North America you might be better going with a vendor over here. I know Ken at Lasers Edge has it available for pre-order. Not sure if Amazon (Canada) will get it in stock, the pandemic situation seems to have made stocking niche product of secondary importance.

Thanks again (except Bill, who I'm keeping my eye on! )

https://wobbler.bandcamp.com/album/dwellers-of-the-deep

Thanks again (except Bill, who I'm keeping my eye on! )

Thanks, Frank. I pre-ordered 2 (one for a buddy), Such a great review and I also appreciated the video clip.

Thanks, Frank. I pre-ordered 2 (one for a buddy), Such a great review and I also appreciated the video clip.
    Nice...congrats. I have that green/purple vinyl pre-ordered.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I think the absolute future direction of progressive rock lies in a conglomerate of Vollenweider and the Wopps, with perhaps a bit of Vanessa Mae and Millivanillion thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think the absolute future direction of progressive rock lies in a conglomerate of Vollenweider and the Wopps, with perhaps a bit of Vanessa Mae and Millivanillion thrown in.
    With all Jackson Five melodies ever written played simultaneously on a mellotron with a broken Ab in the 3rd octave.

^ Nah. That would only make it corny, strange, odd and kinda RIO.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I was listening to The Chronicles of Father Robin today. If you like Wobbler, you'll probably want to check it out. Has a few very familiar names:

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie
    With all Jackson Five melodies ever written played simultaneously on a mellotron
    And make that The Samuel Jackson 5 then? (if you check out the above video, you'll get it )
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."