Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

Listened to all of Afterglow yesterday. I hadn't really cared for it when I first got it, but it's pretty good. I liked Hinterland from the start.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Listened to all of Afterglow yesterday. I hadn't really cared for it when I first got it, but it's pretty good. I liked Hinterland from the start.
    Afterglow is my favorite .

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Afterglow is my favorite .
    Mine too, as I said earlier in the thread. But that was three years ago. Nothing has changed.

Bill

Yeah, not sure why, but Hinterland I liked right away and Afterglow I initially thought was horrible.
    <sig out of order>

Really late to this thread but I'm also a fan of Wobbler....especially Rites , though they are all very good.
    Someone above called Rites a minor classic and I would agree. The mystical vibe is excellent and the playing is simply superb. A lot of comparisons to Yes Fragile era but that doesn't bother me in the least. Been waiting for a new album for a long time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Had a listen to the debut album for the first time in a while. Very enjoyable, I'm not sure why it took some criticism originally - I guess it does sort of what Sinkadus does, which is found like Anglagard but with less panache, but it still scratches the Nordic symphonic Prog itch very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    but it still scratches the Nordic symphonic Prog itch very nicely.
    You mean your Norwegian fjord snowballs sack, right?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    There's a scissor for that.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, in damp weather I often come down with Nordic symphonic Prog itch.

I love all three Wobbler records equally. Hinterland was brutally direct, Afterglow was gorgeously arranged and recorded, Rites At Dawn scratches that Yes itch quite nicely.
    The Prog Corner

Shouldn't we be talking about 4 records by now? What's happened to them?

Their last FB post shows them signing with Karisma Records. That was on 30 June.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    They are performing at Progtoberfest III in Chicago on Sat Oct 21 along with many other amazing prog bands for the 3-day fest.

Hinterland crankin' on the hifi tonight. Haven't heard this one in a loooooong time. I dig it. That theme in the big piece is very catchy, and overall its a fun journey. Vocals are cool too, kind of an understated lead voice but it works bigly.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    Hinterland crankin' on the hifi tonight. Haven't heard this one in a loooooong time. I dig it. That theme in the big piece is very catchy, and overall its a fun journey. Vocals are cool too, kind of an understated lead voice but it works bigly.
    I share your enthusiasm. Great debut album for this outstanding Norwegian band. They always give the listener all they can handle, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I share your enthusiasm. Great debut album for this outstanding Norwegian band. They always give the listener all they can handle, and more.
    I have to say that after all of these years....and its been a WHILE for this debut for me...that I thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly more than ever. I think when it came out, the hype of The Wobblers supposedly being the "next" Änglagårders slightly poisoned my mind - kind of like Frodo and that damn ring. This music is quite different and quite lovely.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    They are still working on a new album. Started last year August.
    There's some great clips on YT:

And the one before that was über cool. It's the keyboards ...

Some Wakemanisms thrown in for good measure!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Is a Chamberlain and Mellotron basically the same thing?

Chamberlain is more of a former British premier minister actually.
    But yes, the Chamberlin is a precursor of the Mellotron. They were never sold outside the States, apparently. Great wiki articles on both instruments, btw.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    Chamberlain is more of a former British premier minister actually.
    But yes, the Chamberlin is a precursor of the Mellotron. They were never sold outside the States, apparently. Great wiki articles on both instruments, btw.
    Thx. I did notice the writing guides in English when he was fiddling with the thing.

A new Wobbler album in 2020 would go a long ways toward soothing my damaged psyche. Now that Dave Gregory is out of Big Big Train, Wobbler is new my favorite band.
    The Prog Corner

[QUOTE=Crystal Plumage;991718]They are still working on a new album. Started last year August.

My post is quite old, and it refers to the delayed release of From Silence to Somewhere, their 4th.

Good news in any case!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    A new Wobbler album in 2020 would go a long ways toward soothing my damaged psyche. Now that Dave Gregory is out of Big Big Train, Wobbler is new my favorite band.
    And a darn good choice for your new favorite band, I would add. These guys just keep getting better without repeating themselves and that is a rare commodity to find in the current Prog Rock era.

Talk about their range of keyboard instruments, I just spotted this list of instruments from the "Rites At Dawn" album write-up:

Lars Fredrik Frøislie --- Mellotron, Chamberlain, Hammond C3, piano, synths (Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist & Axxe, Korg Cx3, Solina String Ensemble), Rhodes MkII, Hohner clavinet, Wurlitzer, cembalo, Marxophone...

What the heck is a Marxophone, you musicians out there? Perhaps Wobblers version of a manifesto keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    What the heck is a Marxophone, you musicians out there? Perhaps Wobblers version of a manifesto keyboard?
    I think it’s one of those hybrid wind instruments—you know, mouthpiece of one on the body of another. I only remember seeing it credited on Rashaan Roland Kirk albums (along with stritch, which I also don’t know what it is).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I haven't listened to Wobbler for ages. I bought the first one when it came out after all the stupid glorification they did as promotion. I thought it was just okay.
    I bought their last one. I thought it was good but nothing special.

I plan to listen to them soon again these days. Lately I am revisiting - and enjoying- a lot of retro prog so lets see if these do a bit more for me now.
    I find more 'melodic' stuff easier to listen to while working then all that weird intense angular avant shit.