Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Is there a consensus on what a good jumping off point is with Wobbler's catalog?
    No consensus. Luckily.

I'd actually recommend Rites at Dawn as a starting point, not because they show off either capabilities or capacities there but simply due to the fact that it's their ultimate display of pure stylistic dedication and thus to a level of commitment. They set out to make an overtly "Yes and GGiant"-informed record, and they realized that so remarkably well. To that effect, it's a token of their abilities to reach an objective.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Cool album art. I'm not that familiar with them. The last song I remember listening to was something about a white dwarf in winter? Maybe. Is there a consensus on what a good jumping off point is with Wobbler's catalog?
    Good input from Sputnik and SS above, however I would recommend purchasing them in order of their release, only because that worked well for me (other than Afterglow, which is on my list to purchase per recs from PE posters) and also due to the fact that I liked Hinterland a lot. Also, it would allow you to witness first hand how they progressed throughout their existence, to date. I also break from the pack a bit when it comes to Rites Of Dawn, which I liked, especially the outstanding keyboard segments on "In Orbit". I would save "From Silence" for last.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    For the jewel-case CD?
    Yep. I'm still tempted
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yep. I'm still tempted
    I like ordering directly from these chaps so hopefully they'll keep making em! The new package looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The new package looks beautiful.
    OMG, Frankster! I didn't know about the so-called "exotic" format! But then I saw it!

It's cooked in a human sawed-off baldhead topskull (from which the brainmeat has been removed, typically culled out with a letter-opener) like a gumsoup, hitherto only known in the rest of the world through a pair of esoteric Mongolian-mythologian descriptions (Tibethan lamaism) and thoroughly spiced with fart-sage from a local goat of some age.

Anyway, it LOOKS like a frozen brain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXFReLnJD9w), but it tastes like a popsicle electric anteannae semen-cake Jimmy dimmy dong.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ yep. That's why I gots it.

OMG, Frankster! I didn't know about the so-called "exotic" format! But then I saw it!

It's cooked in a human sawed-off baldhead topskull (from which the brainmeat has been removed, typically culled out with a letter-opener) like a gumsoup, hitherto only known in the rest of the world through a pair of esoteric Mongolian-mythologian descriptions (Tibethan lamaism) and thoroughly spiced with fart-sage from a local goat of some age.

Anyway, it LOOKS like a frozen brain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXFReLnJD9w), but it tastes like a popsicle electric anteannae semen-cake Jimmy dimmy dong.
    Ok, so I guess the 12 bucks postage is not unfair in this (jewel) case

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I like ordering directly from these chaps so hopefully they'll keep making em! The new package looks beautiful.
    I couldn't resist! Twelve dollars shipping,oh well. It cost me $37 Canadian but I'm supporting the band directly and I'll get twice as much enjoyment from any other CD I buy!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here in Oslo, when the time comes, I can go into a record store and buy the new Wopps album with a Norwegian-Kroner-bill while I'm fluffing my left nostril.

And afterwards I'll bring it home and spin it on my p1 turntable while I'm sipping a bittu The Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o.

Here in Oslo, when the time comes, I can go into a record store and buy the new Wopps album with a Norwegian-Kroner-bill while I'm fluffing my left nostril.
    Richard my man, I have to say that I am a little bit jealous that you have stores like that where you live. Honestly though, I'm glad that places like that still exist. There are a couple record stores in my town, but never in a million years would they stock a new Wobbler album. It's an enjoyable experience to go into a store, walk out with a physical album, and then come home and put it on the turntable for a listen. And the joy of finding a gem after searching through the racks is a special thing -- I nearly flipped my lid when I came across a pre-owned copy of Sky Train by Barry Miles a few months back.

And afterwards I'll bring it home and spin it on my p1 turntable while I'm sipping a bittu The Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o.
    You have good taste (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Richard my man, I have to say that I am a little bit jealous that you have stores like that where you live. Honestly though, I'm glad that places like that still exist. There are a couple record stores in my town, but never in a million years would they stock a new Wobbler album. It's an enjoyable experience to go into a store, walk out with a physical album, and then come home and put it on the turntable for a listen. And the joy of finding a gem after searching through the racks is a special thing -- I nearly flipped my lid when I came across a pre-owned copy of Sky Train by Barry Miles a few months back.

You have good taste (obviously).
    It's the same here in Athens, Greece. And it's not even freezing - so that your balls drop and you pick'em up and put them in a jewel case - cold too.

But I'd rather live in Oslo, as long as I have Rick and Triple Cask as my friends there...

PFM did much of what the Wob are into nowadays; stuffing out a potpourri of Yasz and Jet Trull and 'sis and GGaunt and Cringsom. Plus some Griffoon. And a bit of Flooopp. And M.C.-5 Hammer.
    And they fully admit to their love of Italian Prog. That is what separates Wobbler (for me, at least) from all the other retro acts who primarily ape the UK artists of yore.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Did it 6 days ago ...green/purple vinyl

edit: glad I did too...already sold out.

We started taking preorders a few days ago...

https://www.lasercd.com/search_resul...%20of%20the%20

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I saw the last Wobbler album on vinyl in my local record store in the Seattle area. Unfortunately, it was in the "Metal" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I saw the last Wobbler album on vinyl in my local record store in the Seattle area. Unfortunately, it was in the "Metal" section.
    Well, that's better than nothing I suppose.

Banned
    Sure, right next to Jethro Tull vinyl, correct?

Cool album art. I'm not that familiar with them. The last song I remember listening to was something about a white dwarf in winter? Maybe. Is there a consensus on what a good jumping off point is with Wobbler's catalog?
    All I know is you need to listen to the title track on From Silence to Somewhere. In my opinion one of the best prog epics in forty years.

No consensus. Luckily.

I'd actually recommend Rites at Dawn as a starting point, not because they show off either capabilities or capacities there but simply due to the fact that it's their ultimate display of pure stylistic dedication and thus to a level of commitment. They set out to make an overtly "Yes and GGiant"-informed record, and they realized that so remarkably well. To that effect, it's a token of their abilities to reach an objective.

I'll give this a spin. Appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Good input from Sputnik and SS above, however I would recommend purchasing them in order of their release, only because that worked well for me (other than Afterglow, which is on my list to purchase per recs from PE posters) and also due to the fact that I liked Hinterland a lot. Also, it would allow you to witness first hand how they progressed throughout their existence, to date. I also break from the pack a bit when it comes to Rites Of Dawn, which I liked, especially the outstanding keyboard segments on "In Orbit". I would save "From Silence" for last.
    Appreciate the feedback! I'm looking forward to taking a deep dive into Wobbler. Progressing from early releases onward is how I got into Haken.

At a local chain, anything released by InsideOut, and Radiant Records have always been filed in the Metal section.
    Last edited by progmatist; 08-25-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Ok, I really dig Rites at Dawn. It's like a Yes album I wish they had made. Love the vocal arrangements and guitar/keyboard interplay. Are their other albums sounding anything like Rites at Dawn or are they pretty different one record from another?

Ok, I really dig Rites at Dawn. It's like a Yes album I wish they had made. Love the vocal arrangements and guitar/keyboard interplay. Are their other albums sounding anything like Rites at Dawn or are they pretty different one record from another?
    Their previous one, Rites at Dawn, is also very Yes-like (probably even more so). So if you like the Yes vibe on this one, you might like Rites as well.

Their others Hinterland and Afterglow are a bit different; more like Anglagard and Gentle Giant. Still very good, but a bit of a change in style.

They've never done anything as overtly Yes-like as Rites at Dawn. But I'd suggest you give From Silence to Somewhere a sample. That's probably the next closest and where I'd explore next were I you.

Bill