Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

I love Wobbler. All three records are terrific. The Yes-like direction they took on Rites At Dawn played right into my Anderson/Squire-loving wheelhouse. Better than Glass Hammer's attempts at remaking Fragile again and again. Wobbler is for real. Their Facebook page indicates that they've stabilized the line-up (at guitar) so hopefully 2015 will see some new music from one of the best bands around!!! (Please?)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    As for Tusmørke, no they are not really the 'new' Wobbler, but they may appeal to you regardless.
    To put it like this; if Wobby are all 1972-75, Tussy are more 1969-71. Kinda post-psych vintage "proto" stuff with a distinctly Nordic vibe (some Norwegian lyrics even), highlighting mood and groove to Wobby's atmosphere and dissonance. Stand Up-era Tull clashes with Rare Bird or Black Widow or the folkier bits of Edgar Broughton Band.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love Wobbler. All three records are terrific. The Yes-like direction they took on Rites At Dawn played right into my Anderson/Squire-loving wheelhouse. Better than Glass Hammer's attempts at remaking Fragile again and again. Wobbler is for real.
    There’s more than a bit of PFM to Rites at Dawn as well (more than one moment reminded me of them, in any case, especially the use of acoustic guitar, which a lot of modern-day “retro-prog” bands skimp on).

Anyway, count me in as another one who was disappointed by their first two after that captivating demo. But Rites at Dawn is the band fully-formed, and I highly recommend it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I do have and like the first album, but it is sometimes too dark, and it's too short. How are the other two?
    The 2nd and 3rd are much, much more upbeat.

The 2nd sounds like (almost exactly like) Gentle Giant.

The 3rd moves in a more New Age direction. Some compare it to Yes, but it also has hints of Floyd, KC, even Genesis. Yet it's no knockoff. They difinitely have their own sound and structure.

Wobbler kicks butt. I just wish they'd come out with another album.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    The 2nd sounds like (almost exactly like) Gentle Giant. [...] The 3rd moves in a more New Age direction.
    I personally hear preciously little GGiant in Afterglow and certainly no "New Age" in Rites. But each one his own ear.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's amazing to me how often someone says Wobbler sounds "exactly" like a particular band, and yet they each name a different band.

The official Wobbler Facebook page has just posted a photo with the caption "Recording some new material for an EP."

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

LIKE! ^

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    It's amazing to me how often someone says Wobbler sounds "exactly" like a particular band, and yet they each name a different band.
    Yes - also when someone says that Wobbler smells like another band, but they actually smell more like cooked meat.

Nah. They smell like fresh mountain air, footballs and patchouli oil.

image.jpg

"Wobbler
    "A little break from the recordings. Here we are enjoying a little football-match in the backyard of the studio."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The official Wobbler Facebook page has just posted a photo with the caption "Recording some new material for an EP."

So after all this time they only came up with enough material for an EP?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see remixed and remastered editions of Wobbler's 2nd and 3rd albums are available - anyone heard these?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see remixed and remastered editions of Wobbler's 2nd and 3rd albums are available - anyone heard these?
    I haven't heard of this, where did you see these?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Nah. They smell like fresh mountain air, footballs and patchouli oil.

image.jpg

"Wobbler
    "A little break from the recordings. Here we are enjoying a little football-match in the backyard of the studio."
    That skyline is a slice of Heaven.

Lars, perfectionist that he is, has remixed both Afterglow and Rites at Dawn. Both new editions are available from termorecords.com
    They are working very hard on new material. Anyone who has seen them live this past year will have heard some of the new stuff, and will know that it's shaping up to be their tightest, most fascinating material yet. News are also impending on a re-release of the first Wobbler album, Hinterland.

Personally, I really don't think any other band on the planet right now does "classic prog" better than Wobbler.

I just pulled out Hinterland for the first time in ages. There is a heck of a lot of music jammed into those (quite long) compositions. I do wonder what the point of even having vocals on that album was. The vocalist doesn't seem very good, is mixed kind of low, and most of the vocal lines and melodies seem like an afterthought. I think it might have been more interesting as an instrumental album. However, I also noticed that the tracks seem longer than they actually are, and they are pretty long to begin with. That said, I did enjoy Rites At Dawn quite a bit few times I heard it, but have yet to pick up a copy. Now that Jacob tells me it (and Afterglow) have been remastered, I think I'm going to have to get both of those. Also VERY interested in hearing any new material they come up with........good news that some is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I just pulled out Hinterland for the first time in ages. There is a heck of a lot of music jammed into those (quite long) compositions. I do wonder what the point of even having vocals on that album was. The vocalist doesn't seem very good, is mixed kind of low, and most of the vocal lines and melodies seem like an afterthought. I think it might have been more interesting as an instrumental album. However, I also noticed that the tracks seem longer than they actually are, and they are pretty long to begin with. That said, I did enjoy Rites At Dawn quite a bit few times I heard it, but have yet to pick up a copy. Now that Jacob tells me it (and Afterglow) have been remastered, I think I'm going to have to get both of those. Also VERY interested in hearing any new material they come up with........good news that some is in the works.
    I largely agree with you about Hinterland. My favorite parts of that album are instrumental, and Rubato Industry has always been my favorite track. I'm not certain why they didn't give us "finished" versions of the demos that did finally appear on Afterglow. Compared with these, the music on Hinterland seemed somewhat less developed and not as challenging. The vocals issues compounded those problems. That said, I don't hate Hinterland, it's listenable, but I always thought it could have been better.

Rites at Dawn is a different approach, and I think that album worked pretty well, but in some ways it was sort of a "new beginning" for the band, with very different approaches in several areas. Personally, Afterglow is my favorite so far and I would like to see them veer back into that territory to some degree with the next one. But it's up to them.

Bill

Hinterland for me......

Well, there's Discipline, La Torre dell' Alchimista, Seven Impale, Birds & Buildings, Diagonal, Areknames and maybe just one or two others (do Thieves' Kitchen or Future Kings of England count here?) to match Wobbler in the "retro" thing - for me. Too bad about the silence that tends to halt several of these acts for uncanny durations between signs of life. In Wobbler's case, however, this is completely understandable, seeing how busy Lars is and also considering Martin's very proficient activities with Tusmørke.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, there's Discipline, La Torre dell' Alchimista, Seven Impale, Birds & Buildings, Diagonal, Areknames and maybe just one or two others (do Thieves' Kitchen or Future Kings of England count here?) to match Wobbler in the "retro" thing - for me. Too bad about the silence that tends to halt several of these acts for uncanny durations between signs of life. In Wobbler's case, however, this is completely understandable, seeing how busy Lars is and also considering Martin's very proficient activities with Tusmørke.
    To break the silence (at least a little bit)

For Discipline: There will be Matthew Parmenter's third solo Album next, before a new Album by Discipline (hopefully)
    La Torre dell' Alchimista are working on a new Album (they are just very slow)
    Not much going on for Diagonal
    Birds & Buildings have a lot of Releases planed (but are also very slow) (most of that will be under the Deluge Grander moniker)
    Areknames are gone with the wind (i don't think they will ever come back).
    Last edited by TheH; 10-22-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Pulled out 'Rites of Dawn' the other day, and listened again yesterday. I probably enjoy this album as much as anything to come out this century. 'In Orbit' is impressive technically, but more important to me, is the emotional impact. Parts, especially between 4 and 7 minute mark, I relate to on a very deep personal level. That doesn't usually happen. And the entire album is pretty magnificent. So then, any word yet on new material?

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'd like to hear the first album without the vocals. I think it would be a much better album.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I'd like to hear the first album without the vocals. I think it would be a much better album.
    Luckily, Jacob just announced that he had pulled all the stops of his social network and gotten Kenny G.'s adopted half cousin, Freddy B., to replace all vocal tracks on that first Wobbler album with a miniatyre wha-wha-/fuzz-tuba.

I've heard Freddy B. is offering this service to a lot of bands (even non-english speaking), perhaps one day there will be a Freddy B. Vocalizer HiFi-box ™ which you can play your favorite album through - and then Voila !, Demetrio Stratos sounds like Freddy B.