Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    The second is a little too Gentle-Giantish for me. And I love Gentle Giant. But I don't need knockoff GG.
    God, you must really hate Happy The Man, Yezda Urfa, and those GG-inspired pieces that Spock's Beard does.

I have bought and will buy any music that involves LFF (& Jacob as well).

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

chalkpie
    Wobbler? I don't even know her! Oooooooooohhhhhhhh.............

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    To be honest, the Jon Anderson-ish vocals on Rites were a bit of a turn off, and even though the music was well done, it all ended up sound to me like they were trying to mimic Glass Hammer, which is definitely not the direction I expected or wanted them to go in. Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but I didn't really care much for the Yes direction from Glass Hammer either. I wanted Wobbler to keep as much of the Norwegian sound as possible.
    My problem is that Wobbler sounds amazing except for the vocal parts. Great vocal prog employs songs that could stand on their own without all the progginess. It bums me out when great prog bands just sing over an instrumental section rather than building the song up around a good tune. There's nothing compelling about the vocal melodies in Wobbler's music. When they stop singing though, they hit their stride.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Great vocal prog employs songs that could stand on their own without all the progginess. It bums me out when great prog bands just sing over an instrumental section rather than building the song up around a good tune. There's nothing compelling about the vocal melodies in Wobbler's music. When they stop singing though, they hit their stride.
    I agree with your premise here, but I certainly think that Rites at Dawn fulfills your criteria. It is filled not only with great vocal melodies, but also lush harmonies - all sung by a great singer.

As for new material, I know that Lars&co are working on it, but Lars' schedule is very full these days with other musical projects as well, so I suspect we won't see any brand new Wobbler release in 2014. Maybe '15, but that's just me guessing.

chalkpie
    If these guys were from say Texas or Alabama and had a lot more southern rock influence, I think they would be my favorite band ever. As it stands, the Scandinavian influence doesn't really work for them, so I am going to have to pass over them for now. IMO of course. YMMV. ESPN. WWF.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If these guys were from say Texas or Alabama and had a lot more southern rock influence, I think they would be my favorite band ever.
    Last thing I heard they were working on an album of 38 Special covers.

Funny, I was just thinking about Wobbler today...how much I love their last album. Rites at Dawn is clear and away my favorite. In fact, I think it is a minor prog classic. The Chris Squiresqe vocals really appeal to me and the whole thing has this mystical feel to it that I really enjoy. I really hope they record another one with the same lineup and even more mellotron (yes, I have a problem).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    It is filled not only with great vocal melodies, but also lush harmonies - all sung by a great singer.
    +1. You said it better than me. The harmonies and vocal melodies are what take this Wobbler album to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    As for new material, I know that Lars&co are working on it, but Lars' schedule is very full these days with other musical projects as well, so I suspect we won't see any brand new Wobbler release in 2014. Maybe '15, but that's just me guessing.
    Dear Lars, focus on a new Wobbler album. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Great vocal prog employs songs that could stand on their own without all the progginess. It bums me out when great prog bands just sing over an instrumental section rather than building the song up around a good tune. There's nothing compelling about the vocal melodies in Wobbler's music.
    What really bums me out is when rubbish "prog" bands employ "progginess" to camouflage what amounts to equally rubbish Bryan Adams/BonJovi'an "tunes" so as to make for 10-47 minute "suites" with the hope of rendering this altogether "more prog".

Wobbler, on the other hand - are exactly what they aspire to be; no more, no less. Few bands commit to this specific style of "prog" with such dedication and ambition nowadays, and very few succeed in pulling it off.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wobbler is a great band.

Banned
    I do have and like the first album, but it is sometimes too dark, and it's too short. How are the other two?

chalkpie
    Loving Rites at Dawn! Not usually my normal listening tastes these days, but what a gorgeous slice of prog! Clever-ass time changes, some killer almost classical progressions (always with a Scandinavian scent), weird RIO-blurbs and blips that last one or two meausures, and a fuckin KILLER bass tone. Actually really accomplished playing with real deal tones; "crappy synths - I summon you to my clogged cesspool, now damnit you filthy maggots!!"

I like this.

chalkpie
    PS - cool dudes. I hung out with these guys at NF, the year they played the slot before Frogg in '05.

Loving Rites at Dawn! Not usually my normal listening tastes these days, but what a gorgeous slice of prog! Clever-ass time changes, some killer almost classical progressions (always with a Scandinavian scent), weird RIO-blurbs and blips that last one or two meausures, and a fuckin KILLER bass
    Yo, Frankie - I'm right there with you. With the contemporary "retro-symph" progressive bands there are only a couple of handful I can really enjoy nowadays, but Wobbler certainly sit near the peak. There's yet another badass Norwegian band currently doing something "same but different", namely Seven Impale - you should try them out as well. And Tusmørke, although they are a different beast altogether ('though still donning two Wobbly-members, including Lars).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Glad to see you come around, Frank.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Glad to see you come around, Frank.
    I've always dug these cats, but I still think my favorite music by them is the first two demo pieces they made....isn't one called "White Dwarf" or "White Wizard"? Great writing.

I've always dug these cats, but I still think my favorite music by them is the first two demo pieces they made....isn't one called "White Dwarf" or "White Wizard"? Great writing.
    "Winter White Dwarf". It resurfaced (under a different name?) on the second Wobbler release, Afterglow - which is great, btw.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Winter White Dwarf". It resurfaced (under a different name?) on the second Wobbler release, Afterglow - which is great, btw.
    Oh nice! I must check that out then.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yo, Frankie - I'm right there with you. With the contemporary "retro-symph" progressive bands there are only a couple of handful I can really enjoy nowadays, but Wobbler certainly sit near the peak. There's yet another badass Norwegian band currently doing something "same but different", namely Seven Impale - you should try them out as well. And Tusmørke, although they are a different beast altogether ('though still donning two Wobbly-members, including Lars).
    Seven Impale eh? Will investigate - danka. So is Tusmørke the "new" Wobbler then?

Seven Impale eh? Will investigate - danka. So is Tusmørke the "new" Wobbler then?
    Seven Impale is available right now on Progstreaming:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...Of%20The%20Sun

As for Tusmørke, no they are not really the 'new' Wobbler, but they may appeal to you regardless.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Haven't heard them since Hinterland, which I didn't stay with for long. I'm ready to try them again. I like 'Rubato Industry" on first listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I don't personally think Hinterland is all that good, though I've never found it bad enough to get rid or. My favorite track on that is Rubato Industry. The next one, Afterglow, which revisits the original demo tracks is my personal favorite. They are in sort of "Anglagard" mode on this album and I find it musically the most interesting. Rites at Dawn is more song oriented, with far stronger vocal arrangements and performances. You may want to give Afterglow another shot, but depending on what you like, it may not be worth it as the style and focus of the band has changed pretty dramatically with their third release.
    I posted this a year ago. I have spun Hinterland once since then, and actually I liked it much better. Perhaps one of these cases where familiarity has helped out. I still like Afterglow best, but I'm glad I hung onto Hinterland.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Hmm, maybe he's on a holiday. Normally he's quite quick, and he should know. Anyway, I'm in the camp that only likes "Rites Of Dawn", but the first two left me somewhat cold. Maybe I should revisit?
    You must revisit both Hinterland and Afterglow. Such a great, great band!!!
    The Prog Corner