Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Yes: Fly From Here

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    On my IPod version I deleted "Bumpy Ride". Madman at the Screens segues quite nicely into the FFH reprise.
    Wow, it really does! I always thought that Bumpy Ride seemed out of place (not surprising, seeing how it was written by Howe - unlike the rest of the suite). I might actually keep the suite this way, so thanks!

Bumby Ride is one of the worst thing Yes has ever done. Yes, I hate it much more than Circus Of Heaven which I in fact find slightly amusing.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Bumby Ride is one of the worst thing Yes has ever done. Yes, I hate it much more than Circus Of Heaven which I in fact find slightly amusing.
    That statement's a little extreme, don't you think? Bumpy Ride is only a tiny little track. It goes by real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    That statement's a little extreme, don't you think? Bumpy Ride is only a tiny little track. It goes by real fast.
    i like it, too. it's a quirky little bridge between the (stunning, IMHO) “madman at the screens” and the grand reprise. tightly functional and not out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i like it, too. it's a quirky little bridge between the (stunning, IMHO) “madman at the screens” and the grand reprise. tightly functional and not out of place.
    Well, for me the most annoying thing about it is that it feels utterly superfluous in the grand scheme of this epic. It completely breaks the flow of the song. And maybe flow is sometimes good to break but not with anything that sounds this stupid. Bumby Ride sounds like it came from some little children's animation series.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Banned
    This is better than what I said.

Well, for me the most annoying thing about it is that it feels utterly superfluous in the grand scheme of this epic. It completely breaks the flow of the song. And maybe flow is sometimes good to break but not with anything that sounds this stupid. Bumby Ride sounds like it came from some little children's animation series.
    Have you ever heard Willow Farm?

Have you ever heard Willow Farm?
    By Genesis? Yes I have and I like it very much.

Banned
    By Genesis? Yes I have and I like it very much.
    Well, that also sounds like music from a children's program. Btw, I like both songs.

Well, that also sounds like music from a children's program. Btw, I like both songs.
    There is both interesting and crappy music in every "genre". Btw. I also like Mike Oldfield's Blue Peter which IS music for children's program.

Played the heck out this when it came out, and I liked it very much

I hadn't visited it in a good while but did yesterday and was still enamored for the most part

Not their best ever, but unrealistic to expect that - it is quite solid IMO

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    FFH is a frustratingly middling album for me. I can't say I love it. I can't say that I think it outright sucks. The suite is mostly nice, but lacks a satisfying ending. The songs in the second half sound like outtakes from two or three different sessions in various stages of completion sort of haphazardly thrown together without rhyme or reason. I will say that I feel like with a ten year gap between albums and trying to establish the band with a new singer that it seems to me like they needed a home run and FFH isn't one of those.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    FFH is a frustratingly middling album for me. I can't say I love it. I can't say that I think it outright sucks. The suite is mostly nice, but lacks a satisfying ending. The songs in the second half sound like outtakes from two or three different sessions in various stages of completion sort of haphazardly thrown together without rhyme or reason. I will say that I feel like with a ten year gap between albums and trying to establish the band with a new singer that it seems to me like they needed a home run and FFH isn't one of those.
    Regarding your comment about side two:weren't some those songs indeed "outtakes"(they were written years before)? Also, what don't you like about the ending to the title track?

this album’s greatest triumph? benoit david sounds like HIMSELF. this is not to be underestimated.
    I agree with this, and it's a big reason why I enjoy Mystery so much. He's a great singer when he sings naturally!

As for "Bumpy Ride"... I don't mind it but the FFH suite may have benefited from its omission. I'd certainly rather listen to it five times over than "Circus Of Heaven" once.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Liked it on first listen -- still like it. It's not the greatest Yes album but it's better than fair in my opinion. Certainly more listenable than Calling All Stations was for Genesis fans.
    This !

"While Fly From Here might not reach the lofty heights of Yes' classic material or even Drama, it's certainly the best thing they've done in years and a step in the right direction back towards their classic prog sound." --- I agree.

I don't expect every play in football to end up a touchdown, nor every batter in baseball to hit a home run on the first swing. To expect such sucess from a band is... is...is...@%#^*.

FFH is what it is --- another album by Yes. no more, no less. Try to experience it instead of listening to it, you might like it more. I like it, but YMMV.

Chut! Chut!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I still like it, but don't love it. It does make me wish Horn was never run off as their producer years ago. Compositionally speaking, Yes still needs Jon Anderson's touch - just not his tight-fisted grip over everything else.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Fly From Here is my favorite of the latter-day Yes albums (and I like those just fine as well). I love that it sounds so different from what came before, but is still definitely Yes (in the same way that Drama or even 90125 were many years before).

As a keys guy I love that it has a real sense of space in the arrangements and sounds. There is very little noodling or soloing just for the sake of soloing. The sounds aren't the same old predictable picks (i.e. mellotrons) but instead are terrific choices that compliment the songs themselves. It is, to my ears, by far the best produced album Yes has done in a long time.

My one complaint would be that I would have liked them to have taken a little extra time to iron out the transitions in the suite; I do understand the reasons why it was done as it was, but I would've liked the parts to flow more seamlessly.

It isn't a masterpiece but it didn't need to be. It just needed to be an enjoyable Yes album and IMHO it is very enjoyable.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Regarding your comment about side two:weren't some those songs indeed "outtakes"(they were written years before)? Also, what don't you like about the ending to the title track?
    As far as the ending of the suite goes I feel like the first four sections are setting up some kind of grand finish that "Bumpy Ride" followed by a straightforward reprise of "We Can Fly From Here" simply don't adequately deliver.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Liked it on first listen -- still like it. It's not the greatest Yes album but it's better than fair in my opinion. Certainly more listenable than Calling All Stations was for Genesis fans.
    Agreed! That comparison is better suited for Open Your Eyes.

FFH crushes everything after Going.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I'm one of those people who put Drama right up there with the Yes Album and CTTE, so yeah, I like FFH! It really made me smile to hear some of those classic sounds and feels coming out of my speakers. To be honest, it's the first Yes album I've bought or listened to all the way through since Big Generator, so I missed a lot of 90s and later stuff. Regardless, I like having some Yes that's not under the direction of Mr. Anderson. I understand how some people won't like it, and some won't accept a Jon-less Yes. To each his own, but again, I was very happy to hear FFH. Except for Bumpy Ride. LOL!

No.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I still like it, but don't love it. It does make me wish Horn was never run off as their producer years ago. Compositionally speaking, Yes still needs Jon Anderson's touch - just not his tight-fisted grip over everything else.
    I believe if Horn wasn't run off as producer, then Big Generator would've turned into a carbon copy of 98125. Meaning, the longer songs wouldn't have gotten on there.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Fly From Here is my favorite of the latter-day Yes albums (and I like those just fine as well). I love that it sounds so different from what came before, but is still definitely Yes (in the same way that Drama or even 90125 were many years before).

As a keys guy I love that it has a real sense of space in the arrangements and sounds. There is very little noodling or soloing just for the sake of soloing. The sounds aren't the same old predictable picks (i.e. mellotrons) but instead are terrific choices that compliment the songs themselves. It is, to my ears, by far the best produced album Yes has done in a long time.

My one complaint would be that I would have liked them to have taken a little extra time to iron out the transitions in the suite; I do understand the reasons why it was done as it was, but I would've liked the parts to flow more seamlessly.

It isn't a masterpiece but it didn't need to be. It just needed to be an enjoyable Yes album and IMHO it is very enjoyable.
    I miss the organs, moogs, and mellotrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    As far as the ending of the suite goes I feel like the first four sections are setting up some kind of grand finish that "Bumpy Ride" followed by a straightforward reprise of "We Can Fly From Here" simply don't adequately deliver.
    The finish wasn't grand enough? It was very grand and dramatic with the keyboard horns. What more do you need? Dancing girls?

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I'm one of those people who put Drama right up there with the Yes Album and CTTE, so yeah, I like FFH! It really made me smile to hear some of those classic sounds and feels coming out of my speakers. To be honest, it's the first Yes album I've bought or listened to all the way through since Big Generator, so I missed a lot of 90s and later stuff. Regardless, I like having some Yes that's not under the direction of Mr. Anderson. I understand how some people won't like it, and some won't accept a Jon-less Yes. To each his own, but again, I was very happy to hear FFH. Except for Bumpy Ride. LOL!
    Classic sounds? I love FFH, but I didn't hear many "classic sounds". The 'tron and organ sounds only appeared briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No.
    No what?

I've only heard soundclips. And the long version of 'Hour of Need'. It all sounded pretty good to me. I probably should buy the album, but I only have so much money, and honestly, I enjoyed Glass Hammer's 'If' and Wobbler's 'Rites At Dawn' more than any Yes album of the last 30 years, not withstanding the KTA albums that I like very much. I also enjoy Magnification and The Ladder, but again, not as much as GH or Wobbler, both of whom have a Yes influence, especially Glass Hammer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I've only heard soundclips. And the long version of 'Hour of Need'. It all sounded pretty good to me. I probably should buy the album, but I only have so much money, and honestly, I enjoyed Glass Hammer's 'If' and Wobbler's 'Rites At Dawn' more than any Yes album of the last 30 years, not withstanding the KTA albums that I like very much. I also enjoy Magnification and The Ladder, but again, not as much as GH or Wobbler, both of whom have a Yes influence, especially Glass Hammer.
    What a poor excuse. I'm sure you can find a cheap copy of FFH on Amazon. I bought the deluxe edition of FFH on Amazon when it came out for $11.99.