Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Thompson - any fans?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Richard Thompson - any fans?

I was always a bit familair with the style, singing and guitar-playing of Richard Thompson, but lately I've downloaded (with the discography on Wikipedia and RYM right next to it) almost all studio-outings, whether with or without Linda.

And now I'm a fan, and I'll predict this will cost me a lot of money, for I now want all his CDs on an original format. I really like his voice, his guitar-playing is like heaven and the production of most of his albums I've heard so far is open and transparant, the way I like it.

I'll start probably with an unexpected one, which has clicked with me enormously: "The Old Kit Bag" (2003). Here's a track from it, though I would rather have showed 'First Breath' which is just awesome. But this one is amazing too:

So, any fans out there? What are your personal favorite SONGS, instead of whole albums?

Oh, and I've deliberately put this at main. I think he's that well-regarded, influencial and loved among progfans, that a place within this main forum is deserved. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I've seen RT live more than any other performer, and obviously he's a big favourite of a mine. The Old Kit Bag is actually a good choice: although he has a classic period, and that's not in it, it would be as good an entry point as any for someone trying him out now.

For prog interest, I suppose you'd have to turn to the Fairport Convention song 'Sloth' ... I'm struggling to think of much in his solo catalogue that would especially resonate on this board.

I remember seeing a video (can't remember if it was on MTV, Video Jukebox or what) back in the 80's called When The Spell Is Broken. Good song, as I recall. He's one of those classic Strat players, though I know for most of the last 20 or so years, he's actually been playing something else after retiring his old pre-CBS Strat he had used in the 70's and 80's. But he was on Letterman a few months ago, and at least for that appearance he again played a Strat (albeit a different one, I presume, from his old guitar).

Henry Kaiser once said that Richard Thompson is one of those few musicians who keeps improving in each field he endeavors in, ie as a guitarist, singer and songwriter. He then added that the scary thing was he was already brilliant to begin with in all those areas, and has only gotten better from there.

Pour Down Like Silver is in my personal top 10 albums of all time.

In terms of songs, I think 'A Love You Can't Survive' from The Old Kit Bag is unspeakably brilliant.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I am a huge Richard Thompson fan , have been for years. His guitar playing is what first drew me to him and then I learned what fantastic songwriter he is. In my opinion he is one of the all time greats.

I bought "Hand of Kindness" when it came out based on reading some good reviews and was hooked. I spent the next 10 years or so a huge RT fan. Bought all the 1980s-90s records, saw him live when possible, etc. But eventually the material became less and less interesting to me. He's got this ultra-intelligent but also very cynical worldview that permeates most songs, and I just got tired of it. I've tried to give some of the recent CDs a fair shake but they failed to generate any sparks for me.

Of course he is a great player and I still like Hand of Kindness a lot. So my recommendation would be to go slowly with acquiring the catalog, one at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've tried to give some of the recent CDs a fair shake but they failed to generate any sparks for me.

Of course he is a great player and I still like Hand of Kindness a lot.
    Love the above mentioned album, as well as another lesser known title, Amnesia. And I've had the same experience with some of the newer albums. But my peak interest in Thompson's music was from 1987-1994. Got hooked on Daring Adventures, and spent a lot of time listening to Rumour And Sigh; and the Watching The Dark collection back in the early 90s.

The best thing I've experienced in recent years is the Live In Providence DVD. That is a killer show! And I'm still a big fan of the French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson albums.

er.....

I only have "I Want To See The Bright Light Tonight" and "In Concert, November 1975" but planning to get more. Great player, "Calvary Cross" has some fantastic playing especially on live versions (14 minutes on "In Concert"!).

Love his music, though I admit I've kind of lost track in the last decade or so (Mock Tudor is that last album I got). Saw him at the Roxy in the mid-90's, he was incredible, so effortless.

A favorite, despite the last chord being cut off:

Incredible album, too bad they their marriage fell apart while they made it:

B000000612.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    ...or you could love

Love, love, love Richard Thompson. Favorite songs, off the top of my head, the aforementioned 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, When the Spell is Broken and Calvary Cross, also Can't Win, I Still Dream, I Misunderstood, Put it There Pal, Beeswing, The Way That it Shows, Al Bowlly's in Heaven, and many many more. I'm generally more fond of his dark brooding ballads than his up tempo rockabilly-ish numbers, but there's a lot to love in all different styles throughout his whole (vast) catalog. I'll be seeing him live in a few weeks for the, I don't know, 10th time or so since 1994. Always brilliant in concert.

ME! I'm a fan. I see him every time he comes back to the UK, either with or without a band. He's been a great guitarist (acoustic/solo or electric/band) for a long time, but he's also one of those few artists who continually improve on their songwriting. He's currently singing better than ever in my opinion. Oh, and he tells great self-depreciating jokes, too.

Mock Tudor is a fine collection of songs. I like his latest - Electric. It contains no fillers and one or two potential lifetime greats, such as Salford Sunday and My Enemy.

The songs Beeswing and Al Bowlly's In Heaven are two of the finest, bittersweet songs I've ever heard.

Don't really have much exposure to Fairport Convention or his work with Linda. I actually feel he's moved onwards and upwards since then. He doesn't seem to look back much.

N

In my opinion, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning is the apex of storytelling. I can see the story when he sings it. The guitar playing is a bonus and with Richard Thompson that's a massive bonus.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Love his music, though I admit I've kind of lost track in the last decade or so (Mock Tudor is that last album I got). Saw him at the Roxy in the mid-90's, he was incredible, so effortless.

A favorite, despite the last chord being cut off:

Incredible album, too bad they their marriage fell apart while they made it:

B000000612.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Great record. Reminds me of the legend that is Bob Mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    In terms of songs, I think 'A Love You Can't Survive' from The Old Kit Bag is unspeakably brilliant.
    Yessss! One of the greatest songs of his long career and it comes on a late album. Another one is 'Guns Are The Tongues'.

Hell yeah! Of course, the spoken intro makes sense of this one.

The dvd is desert island material all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    er.....

Like some of his early folk stuff with his missus as was. Not so keen on him in recent years, especially when he takes on other genres.

Love his guitar playing (and songwriting and singing).

One of my faves is Ghosts in the Wind, live with Danny Thompson on bass. A more recent, current favorite is Big Sun Falling in the River.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigdipper View Post
    ME!

Don't really have much exposure to Fairport Convention or his work with Linda. I actually feel he's moved onwards and upwards since then. He doesn't seem to look back much.
    He'll do a Fairport song now and then-- On the Dream Attic tour he opened the "oldies" set with their first single, "Tme Will Show the Wiser". And of course he still plays with Fairport every year in Cropredy. But he does tend to concentrate on newer stuff, and the "hits" he always plays are mostly solo stuff (Wall of Death, Vincent Black Lightning, Tear Stained Letter etc).

Huge, huge fan. Favorite songs? How long do you have? For starters:

“1952 Vincent Black Lightning”
    “Gethsemane”
    “Keep Your Distance”
    “King of Bohemia”
    “Mascara Tears”
    “Missie How You Let Me Down”
    “Now Be Thankful”
    “Outside of the Inside”
    “Persuasion”
    “Sights and Sounds of London Town”
    “Walking on a Wire”

Plus my favorite song of all time, "Beeswing."

NP: Prince The Hits/The B-Sides

Love him. My way in was through the French, Frith, Kaiser Thompson albums...funnily enough, despite him being the more successful name, he was the guy I'd never heard at that time. I think it was the tune Bird In God's Garden that had been joined up with Frith's Lost And Found that really did it for me. I have a little Fairport and a few of his solo records but this thread reminds me how lacking I really am.
    He's one of those extremely rare cases that is absolutely murderous on both the acoustic and electric guitar. I have never heard a remotely superfluous or boring solo from him.

Yes, surely anyone with ears, taste and a bit of intelligence must be a Richard Thompson fan...
    I mean, I don't necessarily have all of those, but anyone that does have all three must surely bow down and worship him as a genius :-)

I only started listening to him around the time of 'Rumour and Sigh', so it's always been one of my favourite albums of his. I also liked 'Mock Tudor', 'Sweet Warrior', 'Electric' a lot.
    '1,000 Years of Popular Music' is fantastically clever and entertaining, and I love that he's tackled Britney Spears as well as Nat King Cole, medieval folk song, etc.

I agree with those above who praise his brooding melancholic laments most highly, but I like his un-tempo no-nonsense but deceptively intricate songs too. A really wonderful, original and gifted guitarist, in addition to being a fine songwriter and performer. Haven't actually seen him live apart from on the TV, but I really should fix that one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    He's one of those extremely rare cases that is absolutely murderous on both the acoustic and electric guitar. I have never heard a remotely superfluous or boring solo from him.
    Agreed 100%.

I'm a longtime, massive fan.

I've reviewed recent releases at AAJ, including:
    Dream Attic
    Electric (Deluxe Edition)

As well as two DVDs:
    Live at Celtic Connections
    Live in Providence

I can't recommend him enough. Few others have had careers so consistent - I can't think of a bad RT album, and even those I spin less often are very fine.