Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Thompson - any fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    ... Haven't actually seen him live apart from on the TV, but I really should fix that one of these days.
    You must, he puts on a great show.

great guitar playing, great songwriting, awesome voice. How can I not like the man?

Quote Originally Posted by JSS View Post
    You must, he puts on a great show.
    And especially when solo, has a tremendous sense of humor.

If Meet on the Ledge is not played at my funeral someone's gonna get an asskicking.

He put on a free show last night at Chicago's outdoor Millenium Park. He did a 30 minute acoustic set, then came back out for a 75 minute Electric Trio set. It was a fine display of guitar playing, singing and songwriting, on a nice summer night. Despite not being familiar with his catelogue, I was thoroughly impressed with his performance!

Huge fan..have been for decades. You can even read some reviews of various Thompson related things here.

Not only do I have all his records, I've got all the Fairports, many guest appearances, and his live recordings sold at his online store.

I even opened up for him in one of his many Ottawa appearances (he was playing solo that time)...and after his set, we played a short set with him, where he smoked....and I didn't

Huge fan here. I've seen him twice - once with band and once with solo guitar. I went in thinking, "Ah man, one guy with a guitar, this is going to be so BORING!". Boy was I wrong - he may have been more captivating with just an acoustic guitar and voice - it's actually my preferred way of listening to him now!

I'm not much of a Linda fan (I feel that he came into his own in the late 80's / 90's - starting with Amnesia - but all of his solo records up to that point were pretty good). Favorite songs? That's harder than picking favorite albums! Here are a few of mine -

RT's the best!!

This is a great song, and Christine Collister is delightful

Love both of those. MST3K is awesome, by the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Not only do I have all his records, I've got all the Fairports, many guest appearances, and his live recordings sold at his online store.
    Any recommendations for which of those shows to bite on first?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I highly recommend Semi-Detached Mock Tudor and More Guitar. Both are most excellent and get frequent plays around here. Many of the pieces are better than the studio versions.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I highly recommend Semi-Detached Mock Tudor and More Guitar. Both are most excellent and get frequent plays around here. Many of the pieces are better than the studio versions.
    He really has little or no duff songs or albums. And is amazing live - I agree that often his live versions of songs are better than the studio versions. He's also vey funny and entertaining on stage. You hear stories of him doing impromptu Abba medleys in the back rooms of Scottish pubs on a 5 string acoustic. He's a one off.

Pretty awesome free show last night at Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.... huge crowd.

c
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If you're a fan of his electric playing, More Guitar is a good place to start. Two Letter Words, from around the time of Mirror Blue, is another that runs the gamut from acoustic (with Danny Thompson) to more flat-out electric; probably my favorite overall show. More recently, Ducknapped and Live Warrior are also very good.

I like his 70s albums best, especially Henry, Bright Lights, Silver and, best of all, the extended workouts on some of the live recordings. His contribution to Fairport is most prominent on Full House, while Liege and Lief is rightfully regarded as the masterpiece of British folk-rock.

Since then I've really enjoyed his guitar playing and live performances, but often I've found his songwriting less interesting - and less dark - that it's generally regarded as.