Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Easy living

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I've lived in Victoria, BC (southern tip of Vancouver Island) all my 51 years. Love it. Here's a quick assessment.

Weather: Moderate, moderate and more moderate! We're in a rain shadow with the Olympic mtns to our south and Coastal mnts to our east, therefore systems tend to come our way off the pacific then dump when they get close to the mountains. Consequently, although we'll get our share of dreary days, there's actually not as much rain as one would guess. I've heard it said that Victoria gets 1/3 the rainfall that some parts of Vancouver get. Summer days are typically about 23c (about 77f), though there's a few days of mid to high twenties. This July was fantastic as we went for something like 35 days with no measurable rain, and high temps between 23 and 26. Falls are lovely with pleasant temp's extended to mid-October. Winters are generally mild. I'd love more snow. We usually get at least one snowfall, perhaps 3-4 inches if we're lucky. This last winter I didn't see a flake!

The City: We're a government (capital of the province) town, a both a tourist and retirement destination with things like the Butchart Gardens, Empress Hotel, and a very Englandish feel, especially downtown. Lots of great pubs. Pop is around a half-million I believe. No crime to speak of.

The Area: There's a wide range of topography/geography on Vancouver Island. We're within 4 hours of Long Beach (Tofino), Parksville (great tides where, at peak low tides, you can walk out the sandbar for a good 10 minutes before hitting ocean), Mt Washington (ski hill), Carmanah valley (trees, lots of them and big ones) and probably others I'm not thinking of.

I think I'll stop there. Dont' want our population swelling anymore than it is

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I've lived in Victoria, BC (southern tip of Vancouver Island) all my 51 years.
    Sounds ideal for me. I've only been to Canada a few times, but the people there seemed pretty happy.

A guy in Vancouver told me that the typical resident there spends about 2/3 of their paycheck on housing alone. But because of the social services, they don't pay for other things that Americans like me would have to.

One thing I know for absolute sure, is that I could never live in a Bible Belt state. And I'm fairly certain they wouldn't want me.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Southern California is totally wasted on me. I don't surf, I don't like the sun, I don't like the heat between July and November, and though the beach is only 5 miles away, it's always so freakin' crowded there that I never go.

I really should be living somewhere that rains more and has big trees. But all my friends and family are here, and I'm not the kind of guy who can just pick up and move for no reason.
    Me too, I am in west Garden Grove.. love going up to Bishop and the Sierras, it would be cool to retire there...

PS: by the title, I was expecting a Uriah Heep thread.....(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Madison's tolerable but not ideal (for me at least). Wisconsin has two seasons: winter and (road) construction. That being said, there's a slight chance I may be moving to Chicago sometime next year, so I'd better get used to traffic congestion.

I love Madison. It is my wife’s hometown and if I had to live somewhere else in the Midwest I think I could live there. I love the people in Wisconsin. Give them a beer, a brat, and some cheese and they are happy. Compared to Southwest Michigan I find Wisconsin to be much more laid back. Madison is the perfect sized city. Big enough to have most of the advantages, but small enough not to have all the crap. I don’t know, maybe it is just me, but I really like the place.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    In my adult life I've lived in :-

Cincinnati OH - Too Midwestern for me, it's the cheapest place I've lived and the standard of living if you have a family is very good. But there was no spark there for me. No atmosphere.

Most people where I live don’t really consider Cinci to be part of the Midwest. To me it has always been the gateway city to the south. I have family in the Cinci area and it is much more southern oriented than up in Michigan / Wisconosn and even northern Ohio IMO.

Steve Sly

I've lived in a few places so far, but most of my life, it was at two places at the samle (usually a w-e hideout and a place in a big city)

For me to settle down permnently, it would either be a big city with a nearby enjoyable countryside... or a countryside place with an internationam city within a hour's reach.

Toronto : loved quite a few things there, but when compared to Montreal, (where I lived for two years and spend most of my w)-e during the 80's) they lose out by a margin (I think it's to do with women )... In both case, the "up-north countryside" was cool, but if I had to choose a countryside place in Canada, I'd go for the Okanagan valley in BC (which relativel far from Vancouver that was (is it still?) a great city, where I'd have to have pad. BTW, sorry for/to my United Statian friends, but the only places that would attract me to live are some place in New England (NH most likely) or Northern California (within reach of Frisco)

Mexico (only lived there six months in 85)... THAT was pure hell (even during the 80's), but I loved the country and the Oaxaca region is one of the best place around, if you've got dough enough to protect yourself. Taxco is neat area as well. Can't dare to think how the country is nowadays since the NAFTA deal.

I now live in Northern Holland (80 km north of Amsterdam) for the last 10 years, and the place is quite nice, partly because of the clean air coming from the North Sea (my lab is 400m from the sea.... OK, 450 at low tide ), but I like hills around me (so Holland is fucking flaaaaaat!!! Dunes and dikes are their mountains, and some of the germanic rigid rules (namely traffic radars) can be a burden... But I'm not complaining too much, because as a whole, this "'everything in its place" mentality has its very good advantages as well, as opposed to the latino laissez-faire. As a foreigner, it's pretty hard to make Dutch friends (they welcoming and open-minded enough, but at one point, once their curiosity is quenched, they're just returning to their own circle of Calvinist or Lutherian friends. So we tend to hang out in our European Commission bubble ghetto.... But I'm soooooo glad I spend my week ends in Brussels (where my GF lives), because it allows me to induge in foods that the Dutch have no idea exist is supermarket outside their country and have access to other cultures than Dutch or United Statians ones.

I don't think it's related to the fact that I was born in Brussels (when I came back in the early 90's, I knew quasi zero people here) , but the place is soo cool, despite the political (read Flemish) situation and the awful public transport management issues (gangrened by the Flemish and their industrial lobbies)... and of course a very so-so weather (grey skies are all too frequent) and a certain lack of street cleanliness (lack of respect from a certain type of citizebns)... As for the countryside the Ardennes are closer than the Laurentides are to Montreal... Except for that, the place is soooo multi-cultural that we have some Michelin guide Italian, Indian, Sushi, Spanish, French and Belgian restaurant. Of course the European Commission (my employer, even in North Holland) makes the place so enjoyable, but also makes it too expensive for the locals, who can't afford the house prices (Belgium's general real estate is over-valued by over 40%) ... The only things I miss in Brussels are a good Tex-Mex restaurant (the best two have closed in years) and maybe one or two more Swiss restaurants (for the fondues), a cool concert place like Verviers (Spirit of 66 is 130 km away, not couting the return trip), maybe a good record store (situation's better than a few years ago, but still, it's fucking baaaaad)...

Would I live any other place??? Yeah, if money was no object, and I could have the buddies come in for a visit or better yet, live by my place., I'd go to a better climate place. Yeah, I have a thing for southern hemispheres where summer are longer, but not nearly as torrid as above de Cancer tropic. I kind of like aq lot of places in Chile, and one day, I'll go to my dreamland southern New Zealand island to see if it lives up to my fantasies of the best place in the world (I'd better start swimming, though, because the full-day plane ride over there sounds like pure fucking hell)

Soooo, more realistically, some places in Southern France (or Corsica) are awesome: some of these medieval villages perched upon a hilltop in lost valleys of the Pyrénées, Southern Alps or the Cévennes (not too far from Carmaux's RIO festival). Fuck, I'd settle down in Spain, just to be able to make love to Spanish women daily (my achille's ligament, straigth to my heart and dick), but I'm not that friendly with blazzing hot weather. As long as it remains dry heat, OK, but humid heat is murder for my well being. But these faraway/hidden places would lack most of what I loved in international culture that I'm so used to.

Voilà... you know ever'thang
    Last edited by Trane; 08-24-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've lived in NYC all my life(60 years come December),i'm urbanized to the point of catatonia....just kidding..(cough,cough).I fantasize about moving north,away from summer heat and humidity, which i find more and more difficult to tolerate as i get older.Pacific northwest sounds good, maybe Canada(Vancouver) if they'll let me in.

New Zealand hath its charms;climate, progressive government,scenic sites,and, of course,all those sheep.
    Last edited by walt; 08-24-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'll take the humidity and heat of Florida over frozen winters in the north any day. The only other place I've lived besides Miami is San Francisco. If I could go back to San Francisco (because my heart is still there) I'd go. Only time I ever saw the northeast of the US was on a drive I took from Miami to upstate NY. Once I got out of the "south" all the grimey-ness of the northeast started appearing. Driving through Philly I couldn't believe the undustrial, grime spewing all over the place from smokestacks. Well, I guess if you're born and raised there you adapt and learn to love and appreciate it. Me, I like the humidity and the wildlife down here. I like the diversity. Some days I barely speak any English at all. I love that about Miami.

Trane:
    Mexico (only lived there six months in 85)... THAT was pure hell (even during the 80's), but I loved the country and the Oaxaca region is one of the best place around, if you've got dough enough to protect yourself. Taxco is neat area as well. Can't dare to think how the country is nowadays since the NAFTA deal.
    Did you smoke any Oaxaca?

Lived in Canada my whole life. Don't think I could live anywhere in the USA because of the gun culture. You may be use to it but from an outsider it scares the shit out of us. If I had to stay in Canada it definitely would be in the Okanagan Valley somewhere away from the people because it is unbelievably beautiful and I'd be just a few minute drive from total wilderness. If it was outside Canada it would definitely be New Zealand because there are more sheep than people and any country whose #1 religion is rugby is the place for me. Any city with more than 5000 people would be too big for me.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

The gun culture scares the shit out of some of us Americans too.

I could never live in the deep south. I used to visit my brother in Alabama when he was going to college there. It's just too damn hot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Why would you describe Texas that way?
    I've been to Texas numerous times, and my sister lived there for nearly a decade. Fire ants, scorpions, BBQ, cowboy boots, George Bush (upper and lower), fried foods, guns, Susan Komen Run For The Cure is sponsored by the American Tobacco Institute there. I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've been to Texas numerous times, and my sister lived there for nearly a decade. Fire ants, scorpions, BBQ, cowboy boots, George Bush (upper and lower), fried foods, guns, Susan Komen Run For The Cure is sponsored by the American Tobacco Institute there. I could go on.
    Well I like the BBQ part but that's about it!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Lived in Canada my whole life. Don't think I could live anywhere in the USA because of the gun culture.
    it's actually more of a "gun sub-culture." It exists but it's certainly possible to almost never come in contact with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am pretty happy with where I live in Kalamazoo Michigan.
    You summed it up well, Steve. Kalamazoo was my nearest "big city" when I was growing up, and I got my degree from WMU. Sometimes I miss southwest Michigan just because it was home for so long, and the cost of living is pretty decent. But I wouldn't move back unless I had the money to buy my childhood home down in White Pigeon.

Most people where I live don’t really consider Cinci to be part of the Midwest. To me it has always been the gateway city to the south. I have family in the Cinci area and it is much more southern oriented than up in Michigan / Wisconosn and even northern Ohio IMO.
    As someone who spent the first 30-ish years of his life in your neck of the woods, I agree with that. Cincy to us was a southern city, more than a Midwestern one.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I've lived in the Clark County, Indiana portion of Kentuckiana for about 20 years.
    Really pretty part of the state. My folks used to drive through Madison on trips to Kentucky, and I dated a woman from New Albany for several years. I know neither one is Clark County, but they're nearby. Fond memories of that part of Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'd really miss the full service only gas stations. Fill my own tank? How barbaric!

Oregon is the only other state that doesn't let you pump your own gas. I didn't even know about it until we were on vacation in Oregon and I hopped out of the rental car to fill it up. With the nozzle in my hand, a guy comes flying out of the station to grab it from me. You would have thought I had a lit match in my hand or something.

That would drive me nuts if I lived there. Why not just give people the choice of whether they pump their own gas?

If it was outside Canada it would definitely be New Zealand because there are more sheep than people and any country whose #1 religion is rugby is the place for me.

Interesting that there are several of us in this thread for whom NZ would be our ideal destination. I say we all pool our resources and go.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Steve Sly
    You'd know better than me, I was comparing it to SW CT and Boston, my only terms of reference. I do like Columbus & Cleveland better in Ohio so you may well be right. It was a bit too Republican, God-fearing, Family friendly, & Safe for me. I like a bit more character & edge. I actually liked Covington over the river in KY better.

My perfect place to live would probably have San Diego's weather, Cincinnati's cost of living, Boston's geography, bar's & restaurants, and Newcastle's social scene.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lived in Canada my whole life. Don't think I could live anywhere in the USA because of the gun culture. You may be use to it but from an outsider it scares the shit out of us. If I had to stay in Canada it definitely would be in the Okanagan Valley somewhere away from the people because it is unbelievably beautiful and I'd be just a few minute drive from total wilderness. If it was outside Canada it would definitely be New Zealand because there are more sheep than people and any country whose #1 religion is rugby is the place for me.
    you'd swear we'd be soul brothers on this issue.... (Okanagan and South NZ rules)

Any city with more than 5000 people would be too big for me.
    ... until this!!

it's actually more of a "gun sub-culture." It exists but it's certainly possible to almost never come in contact with it.
    Yeah, I believe it's possible to live away from it... I suppose 95% of contacts with gun-happy people fondling their fancy are accidental or coincidental

You'd know better than me, I was comparing it to SW CT and Boston, my only terms of reference. I do like Columbus & Cleveland better in Ohio so you may well be right. It was a bit too Republican, God-fearing, Family friendly, & Safe for me. I like a bit more character & edge. I actually liked Covington over the river in KY better.

My perfect place to live would probably have San Diego's weather, Cincinnati's cost of living, Boston's geography, bar's & restaurants, and Newcastle's social scene.
    That's crazy!!! ... Preferring Cleveland to Cinci... The only thing Cleve has going for itself is that it's possible to escape to Canada by swimming across the lake... The place is a dump (at least it was still that way in 93...)

Cinci has the advantage that Kentucky's Blue Mountains and Appalachian nature are just a spit away...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Southern California is totally wasted on me. I don't surf, I don't like the sun, I don't like the heat between July and November, and though the beach is only 5 miles away, it's always so freakin' crowded there that I never go.
    I live in the LA area and I do surf and I like the sun, so I do like it here.

You should try going to the beach in fall and winter. No crowds and cooler weather than the summer (and better surf).

I really should be living somewhere that rains more and has big trees. But all my friends and family are here, and I'm not the kind of guy who can just pick up and move for no reason. If I got a killer job in Seattle or somewhere like that, I'd probably take it.
    My sister lives in Seattle (Sammamash to be exact) surrounded by trees, a lake, wildlife, etc. She is pretty sick of the rain. It wears on almost everyone there.

If I had my choice to live anywhere, New Zealand would be high on my list.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I live in Syracuse, NY. Not quite as enticing as Cleveland, OH, but probably on par with Toledo! Shitty weather, depressed economy, no jobs, nothing to do.

I would agree with that. It is here and you can find it if you want it, but it is pretty easily avoidable as well.

Steve Sly

To me Cleveland and Columbus are very different cities from Cinci. Cinci is where the Bible belt really begins, thus tends to be a lot more of what you describe.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I live in Syracuse, NY. Not quite as enticing as Cleveland, OH, but probably on par with Toledo! Shitty weather, depressed economy, no jobs, nothing to do.
    I kind of like Toledo. We have friends who are originally from there and the last two summers we have spent a weekend there. They have a really nice Zoo and the Toledo Mud Hens have a beautiful little stadium right down town. Seems like a lot of good bars and restaurants downtown as well. We are going to the WMU / Toledo football game this fall at the Glass Bowl.

Steve Sly

We split our time between the Mid-Hudson Valley (NYC is an hour south, the Catskills an hour north) and western Mass in the Berkshires (gateway to points north). Both areas are heavily politically blue with an (mostly) educated, fairly well-to-do, culture & arts oriented crowd. Lots of great restaurants, bars, clubs, and music and arts venues throughout both areas, so there's always something happening. We dig it. No red states for us....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'd agree with that. It kind of depends on what area you live in and who you hang out with.

Quick funny story: a few years ago a friend invited me to a gun range with him and shoot some targets. That was the one and only time I have ever held and fired a real gun. It didn't really do anything for me, but at least I can say I did it once.

Then, a few months ago, the topic came up at work. One guy grew up in Kentucky, and the other grew up in Michigan, and of the three of us, the Southern California boy (me) was the only one who had ever fired a gun!

I would agree with that. It is here and you can find it if you want it, but it is pretty easily avoidable as well.
    No doubt... despite the stats saying that over 50% of the homes have a gun, I'm sure a lot of these occupants are not "gun-happy"... they just have one out of necessity (I got a swiss army knike in my kitchen drawer, whenever I need it )...

I'd agree with that. It kind of depends on what area you live in and who you hang out with.

Quick funny story: a few years ago a friend invited me to a gun range with him and shoot some targets. That was the one and only time I have ever held and fired a real gun. It didn't really do anything for me, but at least I can say I did it once.

Then, a few months ago, the topic came up at work. One guy grew up in Kentucky, and the other grew up in Michigan, and of the three of us, the Southern California boy (me) was the only one who had ever fired a gun!
    I guess that's the main point!! Who you know and frequent....Yeah, I've had buddies who hunted in the mid-north (though the one I did go hunting with twice used a bow and arrow)
    I fired a gun a long time ago, because "they" thought that diplomat families (which we were in Canada) should at least know what it's about and in case of necessity... But never had to even think about it since

To me Cleveland and Columbus are very different cities from Cinci. Cinci is where the Bible belt really begins, thus tends to be a lot more of what you describe.
    Funny, 'cause I always thought the bible belt started in Kenticky... but Igess the contagion spread across the river

Isn't Columbus (like Syracuse) a student city?? I went six or seven times to Syracuse because of Dead concerts... I though the city was rather cool to live in (certainly better than other upstate NY bigger cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Albany)

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    We split our time between the Mid-Hudson Valley (NYC is an hour south, the Catskills an hour north) and western Mass in the Berkshires (gateway to points north). Both areas are heavily politically blue with an (mostly) educated, fairly well-to-do, culture & arts oriented crowd. Lots of great restaurants, bars, clubs, and music and arts venues throughout both areas, so there's always something happening. We dig it. No red states for us....
    Yeah; from tgh finger lakes to Boston (and Maine), New England often cool... Vermont is great in terms of nature, but a bit isolated, IMHO, but if I was to live in that "area", I'd rather be in Southern Quebec (cultural heritage oblige) or to a lesser extent very-Eastern Ontario