Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury organ

Canterbury organ

Is this famous sound commonly used by Stewart and Sinclair a Wurlitzer?

A Lowry through a fuzzbox was it not?

As I recall it, Ratledge played Lowrey and Stewart played a Hammond.

I found an ineresting article about Mike Ratledge's organ sound:

"Ratledge's first organ in Soft Machine was a Vox Continental, which he soon replaced with a Lowrey Holiday Deluxe, relatively inexpensive compared with the Hammond he would have preferred. The Lowrey had a number of features that Ratledge put to good use (e.g., note bending), but suffered from a "weedy" quality (Ratledge's word) that the keyboardist remedied by using a fuzz box. With this setup plugged into a Marshall stack, seriously deranged volume levels were possible, but feedback was hard to avoid in the silences between notes. In a real-world example of the cliché about necessity being the mother of invention (and perhaps an inevitable Zappa reference as well), Ratledge found he could prevent feedback by avoiding the between-note gaps and forging on with his solos in a legato style, relentlessly pushing forward like a circular-breathing saxophonist who never takes a gulp of air until his solo is completely finished. Brian Hopper is quoted in the Bennett book describing the Ratledge soloing approach as "uncompromising strings of notes, leaps of musical structure and texture, and complex time signatures that all characterize a style not heard before or since."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/mike-ra...#ixzz2cn5KLcSc

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    As I recall it, Ratledge played Lowrey and Stewart played a Hammond.
    Sinclair also played a Hammond
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Stewart and Sinclair did play Hammond but most of the time they didn't. Hatfield at the rainbow is definately no Hammond

Dave Stewart writes: http://davebarb.amajor.com/visitor.html Hammond L122 organ

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Stewart and Sinclair did play Hammond but most of the time they didn't. Hatfield at the rainbow is definately no Hammond
    Stewart always used a Hammond except in the very early days of Uriel (largely unrecorded). I don't see what makes you assume the Rainbow show isn't with the Hammond. There are parts where he used his (also fuzz'd) Hohner Pianet to play dual lead lines with the Hammond (as in the climax of his solo in "Halfway Between Heaven And Earth").

Sinclair also used a Vox Continental in the early days, then switched to a Hammond until 1974 ("Fairfield Halls" live album) when he got a different, and VERY inferior-sounding model (heard on "Cunning Stunts" and, to most disastrous effect, on the BBC "In Concert" from March 1975), which was probably lighter and easier to carry when the band toured the US in late 1974.

Get organised

I believe you're mistaken. What is the other make of organ you imagine Stewart and Sinclair played, and where is your evidence?

Hmm didn't know about that model. My dad has had a Hammond for years and thought it didn't sound like a Hammond

Hmm didn't know about that model. My dad has had a Hammond for years and thought it didn't sound like a Hammond
    Maybe he doesn't know about THE FUZZBOX!

Quote Originally Posted by Progulike View Post
    Maybe he doesn't know about THE FUZZBOX!
    Did Jon lord use the fuzz box?

Did Jon lord use the fuzz box?
    No, Jon Lord used a cranked Marshall amp, and a Maestro Ring Modulator. You can hear the Ring Modulator for instance on the intro of Lazy on Made In Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Progulike View Post
    I believe you're mistaken. What is the other make of organ you imagine Stewart and Sinclair played, and where is your evidence?

On the innerfold pictures of For Girls, I'm quite sure Sinclair plays on a Hammond B3 (or similar)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Dave Stewart writes: http://davebarb.amajor.com/visitor.html Hammond L122 organ
    An L122 is part of the L100 series. Same electronics, different styles and woods. Emerson had a L-102 and sometimes put it through a fuzz box.

You can see Stewart playing his with the Bruford Group in "Rock Goes to College".

Here's a pic of Dave Stewart's L122 (from Dave & Barbara's Facebook page). It's also on a pic of the back of The Civil Surface.

540465_429705380382182_1074071802_n.jpg

anyone foolish enough to argue "Canterbury minutae" with "Calyx"
    1. Is gonna get their head handed to them
    2. Deserves what they get

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Calyx" has "Steve F." to thank for a lot of what he knows !

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

My thoughts exactly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]An L122 is part of the L100 series. Same electronics, different styles and woods. Emerson had a L-102 and sometimes put it through a fuzz box.
    I believe Tony Banks used an L-100 series organ in the early 70's (before switching a Model T), as did Rick Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Here's a pic of Dave Stewart's L122 (from Dave & Barbara's Facebook page). It's also on a pic of the back of The Civil Surface.

540465_429705380382182_1074071802_n.jpg
    Was this made in the 60s? Doesn't look as good as a b3 lol

Was this made in the 60s?
    '61 to '72.

Doesn't look as good as a b3 lol
    It's not. I call mine "Eric" because it's like half a B.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I believe Tony Banks used an L-100 series organ in the early 70's (before switching a Model T), as did Rick Wright.
    Thijs van Leer also used a 122.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    '61 to '72.

It's not. I call mine "Eric" because it's like half a B.
    Damn another good line
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There are people, and I'm one of them, that think the Hammond spinet models sound slightly better than the big church consoles for rock. I wish I still had my M3; that thing growled.