Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson and a major motion picture

The Wilson song is probably used only in the trailer and some other composer does the full score for the film. Trailer music only very rarely has anything to do with finished film. And with directors like Paul W. S. Anderson almost never...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    The Wilson song is probably used only in the trailer and some other composer does the full score for the film. Trailer music only very rarely has anything to do with finished film. And with directors like Paul W. S. Anderson almost never...
    Possibly true. But the fact remains that SW has come to the attention of Hollywood (even if it's only trailer makers for now). That is a positive development for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Possibly true. But the fact remains that SW has come to the attention of Hollywood (even if it's only trailer makers for now). That is a positive development for him.
    Yes, that I agree with.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I disagree.

For all of those out there who are dissing SW for doing this:

Who are we to have a say in how SW chooses to navigate his personal musical journey?

I say, good for him. I wish I were in his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    There are lots of great folks making terrific soundtracks. If Wilson is (a) big enough to have attracted someone to use one of his songs in the soundtrack to what looks like a major motion picture, and (b) that leads to him actually doing some formal soundtrack writing, then as long as he doesn't compromise the music he makes - which is, based on his career to date, highly unlikely - then why not? It might bring more people to his music, and that's never a bad thing.

Plus, frankly, if he can make some extra bucks that will allow him to continue doing what he's doing, that's all the better.
    Agreed across the board. It's just the selfish SW solo projects fan in me posting.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I remember when the "Peter Pan" film came out over ten years ago, and Coldplay's "Clocks" (which was everywhere anyway) was in the trailer. So maybe Wilson's song is an "insta-mood" song now, used by studios when they want to create that haunting mood that's so elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    For all of those out there who are dissing SW for doing this:.
    ... it got someone who dismissed PT with "The Incident" to buy the album after all. Not because it was in a trailer, but because it reminded me it was a decent song and why hadn't I bought the album yet?

Well the guy did turn down 5 Million to do another tour with PT before embarking on Grace for Drowning, so I DOUBT money would be a motivating factor in his desires to do film scores. Good on him, and I don't agree making money doing what you love and want to do is the same thing as selling out. The artist starving for his trade is the real true artist and a farthing more is selling out is bullshit. Just my view. I for one love a good film score, always have, and I think Wilson would be phenomenal at it.

Yep, I doubt that this signals a full score from SW ... but with his surround credentials he'd be great for underscoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I disagree.
    Pray tell, why?

Pray tell, why?
    He's too good for Hollywood. Waste of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Agreed across the board. It's just the selfish SW solo projects fan in me posting.
    Fair enough; but just think what he could do with his live show presentations, for example, if he had more money coming in from soundtrack work?

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Well the guy did turn down 5 Million to do another tour with PT before embarking on Grace for Drowning, so I DOUBT money would be a motivating factor in his desires to do film scores. Good on him, and I don't agree making money doing what you love and want to do is the same thing as selling out. The artist starving for his trade is the real true artist and a farthing more is selling out is bullshit. Just my view. I for one love a good film score, always have, and I think Wilson would be phenomenal at it.
    Five million? He may have turned down a loan or an advance, but I seriously doubt somebody was going to personally pay him 5 million for a PT tour.

Folks, believe it or not, Steven is an artist who probably wants his music to be heard by as many people as possible. That's not a bad thing. If you look at the IMDB message board for this movie, there are people asking about the music. Sadly, there are many people out there who have no idea who Steven Wilson is, but I am sure if they heard his music, they would be fans. I don't know how good this movie is going to be, but it is great that Steven's music will be played in theaters across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I can't imagine that we'd see that happen.

I suppose the best way to look at this is it's funding the projects we like to hear.

Of course, for any SW-haters, than this just confirms their view that he's sold out or is motivated only be economics.
    Exactly. There's nothing wrong with making money and being successful.

Good for Steven. About time he got a chance to break into cinema, which has been his dream for years. And if this helps catapult him into the big leagues so much the better. It's all about growing as an artist and film work can only be a positive for him. Anyone who calls themselves a fan should be happy for him.
    Totaly agree with you.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I wonder if this is based on the Robert Harris novel.

Regardless of who does the soundtrack, the last movie about Pompeii I saw had the great Frankie Howerd in it. This doesn't look to be at that standard.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I wonder if this is based on the Robert Harris novel.

Regardless of who does the soundtrack, the last movie about Pompeii I saw had the great Frankie Howerd in it. This doesn't look to be at that standard.
    As stated in post #17 it is based on the Harris novel.

Unfortunately, the director is a hack. Alien Vs Predator and a couple of Resident Evil movies. AVP was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The RE movies are not much better, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Unfortunately, the director is a hack.
    The only one by him I've seen is Event Horizon and that was excellent. Zero interest in movies based on computer games or any movie with 'versus' in the title

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I probably wouldn't have taken notice of the movie if it wasn't for the Steven Wilson connection. But now that I have, I will definitely go watch it to see what John Snow has been up to beyond the wall.

5 million?
    What's the story?

He has already had his music in a major motion picture if Porcupine Tree counts. The 2005 film Four Brothers starring Mark Wahlberg had a bar scene where the jukebox was playing PT. I can't remember for sure what song but I seem to recall it was "Shallow".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I read it in an interview when he was thinking about going it alone. I don't know where the money was coming from. He turned it down to pursue grace for drowning. I thought at the time I didn't think the guys in PT would have been too jazzed about that decision. Honestly, I didn't make it up. And in the grand scheme of things, 5 million isn't big money anymore relative to what some of the so called big name talent is pulling down is it?
    The whole point of the comment was to say I don't think he's simply motivated by the money. It's another artistic outlet he's interested in. And good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    The only one by him I've seen is Event Horizon and that was excellent. Zero interest in movies based on computer games or any movie with 'versus' in the title
    Event Horizon was a good flick. Hey, even a great director can't turn a piece of crap like AVP into anything worth seeing. Funny, I remember seeing Alien 3 in theaters and hated the movie. They ruined everything I loved about the first two films, and killed off major characters before the movie even started. They killed off Newt of all people! But I came away rather impressed by the direction of the movie. Didn't know it at the time, but the first time director was David Fincher, one of my current favorites.