Thread: RIP Marian McPartland

RIP Marian McPartland

This was mentioned in another thread, but nobody has started a thread devoted to her yet so I will.

Marian passed away last night at the tender age of 95. Although her voice was kinda "Katherine Hepburn-shaky" the last couple of years her program "Piano Jazz" continued right up until September 2010 when Marian was 92 (and re-runs since then). Her gentle interviewing skills often brought out surprising and surprisingly-human responses from her guests -- and they were "guests" rather than interviewees. I can remember several programs that opened up new artists to my listening, and she deepened my appreciation for a lot of others. Her witty duets with musicians of every stripe -- where you could hear she really LISTENED to what they were playing and responded appropriately -- were always a delight. Her guests ran the gamut from traditional to modern, not only pianists but singers, wind players and guitarists too.

Although she had a remarkable career and was in many ways a breakthrough artist, the show was never about her. She let her guests shine, and she brought out their best shine.

I'll miss "Piano Jazz."

Sad news, I just heard and came here to let folks know....

A giant in the Jazz World......she was in that pic from "A Great Day in Harlem" you know.....I'd say she was one of the most important figures in the Jazz community for a long time. I will spin her Birthday Tribute CD tonight...

She was a great ambassador for jazz.Piano Jazz was a wonderful forum,there were more than a few PJ programs that i cherished.It was especially cool when she had pianists on PJ;to hear two pianists talking "shop" was good stuff.

I post a link to the obit in todays New York Times.

RIP Marian McPartland

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/ar...bituaries&_r=0
    Last edited by walt; 08-21-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

As far as i know,only Benny Golson, Sonny Rollins and Horace Silver are still alive from that great photo shoot in Harlem.

Sad.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

sad, indeed.
    I love that photo!

Yeah, I used to listen to piano jazz a lot too. Since I moved I had a hard time keep track of her program due to there's not a good NPR channel around these parts or I was slow to find one. But yeah, she had a relaxing and interesting show.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, I used to listen to piano jazz a lot too. Since I moved I had a hard time keep track of her program due to there's not a good NPR channel around these parts or I was slow to find one. But yeah, she had a relaxing and interesting show.
    Me too. I used to love that show, and Bob Parloacha afterwards, on Saturday nights. I have the show with John Medeski recorded, they hit it off so well and sounded like they had a blast together.
    Damn.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Check the date this was written: it was an April Fool's joke.
    But don't feel too bad, Ed Palermo fell for it too!

Dag nabbit I wanted it to be true. It was totally believable !