Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: PE v3.0 nearly a year later... Thoughts?

Agree that the "Learning curve" for V3 was quick and stress-free. I like how the topics are spread across Maintopic, off-tpoic, way-off, artists, etc. Groups are fun but the 3 that I'm a member of seldom have new posts...no biggie.

Enjoying it quite well......thanks Team for "maturing" the site to what we have today.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Regardless of what some think, the PM feature is a huge loss. I enjoyed my virtual friends and meeting these same friends in person. I totally appreciate all of the mods efforts and Duncan's huge efforts/accomplishments on the site. I pretty well forget a lot about the old side, I'm gettin' old, so the new site is fine. I'm proud that I've stayed on board for almost ten years and I've greatly cut back my level of postings, reformed. I suspect those who post every thought or think they're mods themselves, are oblivious to it. It's definitely annoying. The Group feature doesn't work that well. The change has been seamless but there are clearly many improvements and some drawbacks. I don't get as many belly laughs from the PMs but I've actually have real friends, colleagues, and families for that. I think Cozy has made a very fine moderator, very fair, balanced, and still shares his fast knowledge.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'll give my personal take as a user/mod...

Pros:

- Site doesn't crash.

- I like all the expanded forum choices and the fact that one can use the "new posts" method to get the news feed.

- Better blocking tools. Notice how it's a little more civil around here with a little attrition.

- Easy to post, edit, insert vids, etc.

- full site on mobile devices works well.

- The BB software is upgradable and more future proof.
    I agree with all of this - much of it is behind-the-scenes stuff, but much of it also goes to usability, and this version has it all over the previous one, IMO.

Cons:

- Groups are a big FAIL imo. For those who liked PMs, it really didn't replace it at all. I probably check my groups once/week now. On the flip side, since something like "baseball" is on the main forum, there's no need to go to groups.
    I think the Groups are fine, but with the "Way Off-Topic" forum, there's not as much of a need for them, and this might be the best part of the new site. Now we can talk about just about anything, and all are invited, instead of the 25-member limit and the whole "secret, hidden PM" aspect. Yes, I respect that this is intended to be a music site, but there are a lot of great conversations with many great people in those off-topic threads.

- Quote feature. That PEv2 quote feature ruled. PEv3 and many other similar BB software are a step back.
    This is probably the only bad thing about this site, IMO, but PEv2 was the only forum I've ever used that had that, so I don't miss it as much as some others.

Wish List:

- Posting limits. Just from my perspective, there are a handful of people that dominate the site (or have way too much time on their hands) and post every thought that enters their head. The PEv2 posting limit at least helped with that a bit.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of posting limits, but that's probably because I'm one of those who abuse it.

- A good poll system: because encouraging participation is always good for the site.
    I agree - this would be cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I'll give my personal take as a user/mod...

Pros:

- Site doesn't crash.

- I like all the expanded forum choices and the fact that one can use the "new posts" method to get the news feed.

- Better blocking tools. Notice how it's a little more civil around here with a little attrition.

- Easy to post, edit, insert vids, etc.

- full site on mobile devices works well.

- The BB software is upgradable and more future proof.

Cons:

- Groups are a big FAIL imo. For those who liked PMs, it really didn't replace it at all. I probably check my groups once/week now. On the flip side, since something like "baseball" is on the main forum, there's no need to go to groups.

- Quote feature. That PEv2 quote feature ruled. PEv3 and many other similar BB software are a step back.

Wish List:

- More significant musical topic starters. I feel this has improved slightly, but is still down from the early years (circa 2005). I like learning about new music personally (old or modern), not the same stuff over and over again.

- Posting limits. Just from my perspective, there are a handful of people that dominate the site (or have way too much time on their hands) and post every thought that enters their head. The PEv2 posting limit at least helped with that a bit.

- A good poll system: because encouraging participation is always good for the site.

- Makeover a bit. I like that Duncan kept the color scheme for the changeover, but the look is still patchworked from the launch.
    I apologize for having too much time on my hands. I don't have a lot of friends, and I feel that I bore my friends and family with music discussion, because that's all I talk about.
    Damn, now I've got this song stuck in my head.

I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the new setup, but by now I'm totally used to it, and like many features here. Still don't use most of the functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

We've also lost some good members along the way (could anyone conceive of this site existing without Lino?)
    I'm almost loath to post this question, but my curiosity gets the best of me, and it's something I've always wondered about...I think Lino was a really good guy, but never saw what set him apart from dozens of others here, so I never really understood the Cult Of Lino. (Yes, I know it became a joke and was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but there seemed to be something real underlying it.) Was it personal interaction at Prog Festivals? Was he well known to people before he came to PE? He wasn't the most knowledgeable Prog guy on the site, (literally, not saying he didn't know anything,) but he certainly was friendly and good conversationally. But at the PE family reunion, dozens of guys (and gals) could have that on their name tag. So where did this come from? What's it all about, Alfie? I'm truly not trying to be controversial, so if this is something better discussed in PM, then by all means, PM me!
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I, for one, am happy you stuck it out.

As am I
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think Cozy has made a very fine moderator, very fair, balanced, and still shares his fast knowledge.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I do sympathize those who feel a bit of a loss because the PM system is not quite the same. I don't engage in too many of the Way OT threads, but I started the baseball one, and it runs very much like the PM version did with several regulars and several occasional posters. But I just can't keep an interest in the Groups for some reason.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 08-22-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of posting limits, but that's probably because I'm one of those who abuse it.
    True. At least you have something to say...an opinion, a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I never really understood the Cult Of Lino.
    Me neither. I think it's just one of those things where these things take on a life of its own. It just...is.

What I can tell you is that I've met him at several NFs and he's a very likeable guy, who is a bit of an extrovert and can carry a conversation. He always has a smile on his face. He's always been very courteous to me and my wife... and just so dreamy!

and just so dreamy!

Banned
    Thanks for the kind words.

I do sympathize those who feel a bit of a loss because the PM system is not quite the same. I don't engage in too many of the Way OT threads, but I started the baseball one, and it runs very much like the PM version did with several regulars and several occasional posters. But I just can't keep an interest in the Groups for some reason.
    Wait a minute... You're Cozy? When people around here kept talking about Cozy, I thought that there were talking about Cozy Powell. How many mods does PE have? There should be a Meet The Mod thread. The is the first board of this type that I have been on. So, that is one of the reasons why I act the way I do. I'm not used to mods, and stuff like that. I know that this may not be the place to post this, but I just want people to know that I'm a nice guy, and I want to stay here. Sorry, I am just bothered by the warm reception that some people are getting, and it seems like some people that did not stay with PE are missed, while others are not. I don't want to be in the "others" group.

Jon Neudorf
    To the powers that be - excellent job on PE3.

Queston. Are we still planning to get the review section up and running? If and when the time comes will do all that I can to help.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Wait a minute... You're Cozy? When people around here kept talking about Cozy, I thought that there were talking about Cozy Powell.
    Yes he is. Think of PE as "Weekend at Cozys."

Banned
    Yes he is. Think of PE as "Weekend at Cozys."
    Great. I hope I don't get stuck with carrying a dead uncle around.

Wait a minute... You're Cozy? When people around here kept talking about Cozy, I thought that there were talking about Cozy Powell. How many mods does PE have? There should be a Meet The Mod thread. The is the first board of this type that I have been on. So, that is one of the reasons why I act the way I do. I'm not used to mods, and stuff like that. I know that this may not be the place to post this, but I just want people to know that I'm a nice guy, and I want to stay here. Sorry, I am just bothered by the warm reception that some people are getting, and it seems like some people that did not stay with PE are missed, while others are not. I don't want to be in the "others" group.
    Yep, that's me! There's pretty much just myself, Sean, and Duncan as mods. My first name is Sean as well. As I've had a few close "Sean" friends in the prog community over the years, a few people started calling me "Cozy" as a nickname (as my last name is Powell) and it just stuck.

As far as you and the board goes, I think it's just a matter of trying to do your best to get along and make some friends. There are a lot of nice people here. There are a few that go out of their way to antagonize. We've tried to clear the board of a few of those people. As a result, the requests for us to moderate are down. And many of the remaining "spats" between members are usually misunderstanding or mild conflicts. The trick is learning how to back away from one if you happen to get caught up in it. Many times, the person on the other end really has no interest in getting a conflict either.

I remember when Amy was a mod....hey, where the hell is Amy?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Yep, that's me! There's pretty much just myself, Sean, and Duncan as mods. My first name is Sean as well. As I've had a few close "Sean" friends in the prog community over the years, a few people started calling me "Cozy" as a nickname (as my last name is Powell) and it just stuck.

As far as you and the board goes, I think it's just a matter of trying to do your best to get along and make some friends. There are a lot of nice people here. There are a few that go out of their way to antagonize. We've tried to clear the board of a few of those people. As a result, the requests for us to moderate are down. And many of the remaining "spats" between members are usually misunderstanding or mild conflicts. The trick is learning how to back away from one if you happen to get caught up in it. Many times, the person on the other end really has no interest in getting a conflict either.
    Thanks for the advice, Mr. Powell. Believe me, I don't mean to antagonize.

No complaints here.

Well, except for a few posters who shall remain nameless.

But the site itself is fine. I just hit "New Posts" to keep up with the latest, which is a lot like having the forum views combined at the old PE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No complaints here.

Well, except for a few posters who shall remain nameless.

But the site itself is fine. I just hit "New Posts" to keep up with the latest, which is a lot like having the forum views combined at the old PE.
    I hope I'm not one of the "posters that shall remain nameless".

I hope I'm not one of the "posters that shall remain nameless".
    You want him to name you?

Banned
    You want him to name you?
    No. I like my name and wouldn't want to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good call on the polls, I'd certainly like to see their return and is one of the few things I do over at PA.
    PA pols have no credibility, because anyone can start one, and they can be slanted by the creator... PE polls were kind of "official"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    If the soul was centered in their minds around the PM culture then it probably was sucked out. But at the end of the day this place is mainly about musical discussions so I can't shed many tears over PMs going by the wayside.
    Actually I agree with this... the PM-only crowd was kind of irrelevant to the official front-window facade of PE.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I think most of the people who bailed on PE3 were already disaffected with PE2.The switch and somewhat more cumbersome format just sped up their decision.
    I don't think that was the case... certainly not Nestor or Nasser (which I haven't eread in ages)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Who was the old legal nut on PE2 who insisted he'd never leave even if he was the only one there whistling in the dark? Nestor? I remember him doing multiple posts to himself in the last days when he was the only one there.
    While I liked Nestor, if a tad amusing, I ultimately found his stance pitiful...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of the things I do like is the "v" quote marks on the corner of the posts you want to answer, but the bad thing is they don't go away once you've posted... like in this thread. I went onto read and quote more, but the old checked-post reappeared on the new post I was about to writer. Can this be dealt with??

Originally Posted by Scott Bails

True. At least you have something to say...an opinion, a discussion.
    I also think the post limit was a pain, because I've had the problem once or twice per year, when there was a flurry of good threads at the same time...it also lead people todelete theiir posts and made some threads incomprehensible as a result... but yeah, some people have too much time on their hands, and should get a life

Me neither. I think it's just one of those things where these things take on a life of its own. It just...is.

What I can tell you is that I've met him at several NFs and he's a very likeable guy, who is a bit of an extrovert and can carry a conversation. He always has a smile on his face. He's always been very courteous to me and my wife... and just so dreamy!
    Never met or really understood the Lino thing on PE, but I went almong with it, because he was such a likeable guy.

Wait a minute... You're Cozy? When people around here kept talking about Cozy, I thought that there were talking about Cozy Powell. How many mods does PE have? .
    Certainly don't want to be condescending, but how long have you been on this board not to know this??

Yeah, the Sean issue even got me to change my user name fropm Sean Trane (as I have it on PA) to just Trane, because I've had people (and not newbies either) asking me for my bank account number so they could send their donations
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.