Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever expanded an album?

does non-prog count?

with most prog being so album-based by virtue, it is difficult.

LEFTFiELD’s seminal dance/electronica album “leftism” absolutely needs the vocal mix of “release the pressure” and the totally gorgeous “fanfare of life” (a spin-off from the album’s >epic< “song of life”), which i have only seen on “café del mar” type compilations. hence, that's my version of that album, with these two tracks added to the end to round it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Bleah! “The Fool on the Hill” is one of my least favourite Beatles songs. I’ve never understood its appeal.
    personally, I never understood Strawberry Fields' appeal
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A better melody for a start.

And you do know you can edit quoted text, right?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

Edit..Edit..Edit..Edit..Edit..Edit..Edit...
    Actually, it would be nice not to have to edit your signature every time we quote a post or an answer of yours...

Why don't you fix that (please ) ... it's rather annoying
    Last edited by Trane; 08-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, it would be nice not to have to edit your signature every time we quote a post or an answer of yours...

Thanks for having my back, Trane. Don't recall anyone else having a signature. Not even the mods.

I did this all the time when I was a student and loaned LPs and CDs from the library. I copied them on MCs and added my own 'bonus tracks'. Since I stopped copying and started buying more, I have to make an extra walk to my CD collection. I keep in shape that way.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I wouldn't change anything about 'Pawn Hearts', I can't see why 'Theme One' was ever slapped in the middle of it- that's certainly not how it was released here. 'Theme One' is an oddity in their canon, not sure why they did it (is it the one and only cover version in their catalogue...probably Peter Hammill's as well?), though I like it as a 'stand alone' item as it was originally released.
    Theme One was slapped in the middle probably because it had an actual melody, you know what they call a "hook", and the American record company probably thought it might at least generate some radio airplay on "progressive rock" FM stations, as opposed to simply releasing it as a single as it had been in the UK.

As for why they did it, it could have possibly be the record company pressuring them for a "single". And somehow, the VDGG guys strike me as having a sense of humor perverse enough to think that covering the BBC's "theme music" (which is exactly what Theme One was originally) would be "good for a laugh".

Expanded Radiohead's The King Of Limbs with the Internet singles released before it (These Are My Twisted Words and Harry Patch (In Memory Of)), and the four songs released on singles afterward (Supercollider, The Butcher, Staircase, The Daily Mail) - never settled on a final order, but a nice expansion from 8 songs to 14, all from the same general era. (These Are My Twisted Words is my favorite song of the lot.) Expanding albums is fun.

Bleah! “The Fool on the Hill” is one of my least favourite Beatles songs. I’ve never understood its appeal.
    I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I have to agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I believe that Sgt Pepper should really include Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields.
    Apologies if you know this already, but The Beatles were stuck with the typical British record contract of the day that required 2 albums a year + a non-album single every quarter of the calendar. They needed something for the first quarter and they were kind of short of material after finishing the incredible Revolver album, so they put out the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single in February. To be honest, I don't think either song really fits stylistically on that album, but I still think the 45 is the greatest single (A & B side) ever released.

I heard Penny Lane on the radio the other day and I was blown away (again) about how perfectly it's constructed, the absolutely incredible brass arrangement, the wonderful lyrics, Paul's vocal, the subtle use of percussion etc.
    Where in the album sequence would they go though?
    If both songs were included, I'd drop Mr. Kite and put Penny Lane in its place and on side 2, drop When I'm 64 and put Strawberry Fields Forever in its place, it would flow perfectly from Within You, Without You.

I think the album is kinda OK as it is, however.
    ...or you could love

Banned
    I love Mr. Kite, especially the carnival-like organ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Apologies if you know this already, but The Beatles were stuck with the typical British record contract of the day that required 2 albums a year + a non-album single every quarter of the calendar. They needed something for the first quarter and they were kind of short of material after finishing the incredible Revolver album, so they put out the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single in February. To be honest, I don't think either song really fits stylistically on that album, but I still think the 45 is the greatest single (A & B side) ever released.

I heard Penny Lane on the radio the other day and I was blown away (again) about how perfectly it's constructed, the absolutely incredible brass arrangement, the wonderful lyrics, Paul's vocal, the subtle use of percussion etc.If both songs were included, I'd drop Mr. Kite and put Penny Lane in its place and on side 2, drop When I'm 64 and put Strawberry Fields Forever in its place, it would flow perfectly from Within You, Without You.

I think the album is kinda OK as it is, however.
    Didn't know about the typical UK reciord deal. Knowing that, it's no wonder that there were tons of album filler in other bands... comparativelt, the Beatles had very few

I'd keep the Pepper album running order as it is, but if push comes to shove, I'd replace Within You (which is expandable) with Penny and Fields.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I once made a version of King Crimson's ConstruKction of Light with Belew's original 'I Had a Dream' intro added back before Larks IV. I thought it worked well.
    I did exactly the same thing. Great minds ...

I would replace side 2 of aqualung with side 2 of the quad album and other versions. Hymn 43 sounds great in quad but I was always a bit let down by the original version. I like Wind up quad better too. My god quad is a bit better also. The MU version of locomotive breath is also better than original. You could make this a double album with disc 1 and 2 consisting of:

Disc 1
    Aqualung
    Cheap day return
    Mother goose
    Cross eyed Mary
    Wondring aloud
    Up to me
    Hymn 43 quad
    Slipstream
    My god quad
    Locomotive breath MU
    Wind up quad

Disc 2
    Wondring again
    Dr bogenbroom
    Nursie
    Life is a long song
    For later
    Up the pool
    Lick your fingers clean
    Just trying to be
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 08-25-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Having borrowed from the library the deluxe version of In Search Of The Lost Chord,
    I'd have expanded the album with three tracks that came from those sessions:

What Am I doing Here? (3:54)
    King And Queen (3:53)
    A Simple Game (3:45)

the latter was a B-side to Ride My See-Saw