Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pretenders

The Pretenders

What albums do you recommend? I just picked up Get Close for a couple of bucks — a really nice album. Good tunes.

The first two.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The first two.
    i would second that and i also like their last one from 2008 Breaking Up The Concrete.

it's all worth a listen.

I agree about the first two and for a good overview get the Pirate Radio box set

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The first three are essential (I, II, Learning To Crawl)
    Yeah, I know Learning To Crawl was a big hit, but it doesn't make it less an album than the first two.

Pretenders have a lot of great singles sprinkled throughout their canon, but Brass In Pocket is in my Top-10 pop songs of all time.

Played a gig with a Pretenders tribute band opening for us called Pretending. Big fun.

For those of us who were listening to them from day one the first 3 are essential. Why people are recommending just the first 2 is a mystery to me. The 3rd album was as good as the first two.

Banned
    all the early shit is essential. "Message of Love" just might be one of the greatest songs ever.

The first three are indeed essential. From what I have heard, the recent stuff is pretty badass as well but you have to start with the first three.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Definitely the first two - I consider myself fortunate for seeing the original band on the Pretenders II tour prior to
    the deaths of Pete Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott. The first album is an absolute must.

Banned
    I got the deluxe version of the debut for a nice price. Btw, does anyone understand what Tattooed Love Boys is about? I wonder what that hole was for?

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    Definitely the first two - I consider myself fortunate for seeing the original band on the Pretenders II tour prior to
    the deaths of Pete Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott. The first album is an absolute must.
    Same here.. Those two were such a loss... but the band did carry on. I saw them about 4 years ago and they were still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I got the deluxe version of the debut for a nice price. Btw, does anyone understand what Tattooed Love Boys is about? I wonder what that hole was for?
    I think the full lyrics give a clue.... a disenchanted prostitute.

The mid twenty joys around a heart that's black and blue
    Tattooed love boys
    I tore my knees up getting to you
    'Cause I needed
    To find out what the thing was for
    Been reading
    But man the time came to explore

I went apewire 'cause I thought
    Like I'd like it little tease
    But I didn't mean it
    But you mess with the goods doll, honey you gotta pay, yeah

A good time was guaranteed for one and all
    The tattoos did target practice in the hall
    While waiting for their number to get called out
    I, I, I, I found out what the wait was about

I was a good time, yeah, I got pretty good
    At changing tires upstairs bro
    I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was for

Now I see you
    All impressed and half undressed
    You got paint stick all over the scars and lumps and bumps
    Tattooed love boys
    Have got you where I used to lay
    Well ha ha too bad, but you know what they say
    "Stop snivellin', you're gonna make some plastic surgeon a rich man"

Oh, but the prestige and the glory
    Another human interest story
    You are that

Well, I picked up 'The Singles' and ll, so that should keep me busy for a while.

The first 3, and the BBC79 and Santa Monica 81 boots are all fairly essential

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Never met a Pretenders album that i didn't like. To varying degrees. The first three are essential. I, II and Learning To Crawl.

The Pretenders rendition of Bold As Love is one of the high points of the excellent Jimi Hendrix tribute album Stone Free.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    What albums do you recommend? I just picked up Get Close for a couple of bucks — a really nice album. Good tunes.
    Their debut was one of those perfect, five-star pop-rock albums but sadly, it’s never been equalled. For the rest, The Singles is enough for me.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Wake the World”-The Beach Boys/Friends

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    if you don't know by now, don't mess with it

"He thought in other heads, and in his own others besides himself thought."

~Bertolt Brecht

Don't forget Extended Play in addition to the first three full albums. Porcelain and Cuban Slide are worthy tunes.

They were always just a singles band for me...much like Texas!

Best Christmas song of all time--2000 miles.

Orcopian
    Living in Hereford, UK where the original band, bar Chrisie Hynde were from, the first 3 albums with James Honeyman Scott and Pete Farndon are deemed pretty legendary among the local music fraternity, and of course they are excellent as well. there are a lot of people you can talk to in the local pubs who knew them and played with them, and of course Martin Chambers is still playing drums (including the Mott reunion gigs) and is a regular at local gigs. One very interesting story I have heard is that James Honeyman Scott played on Robert John Godfrey's album the fall of Hyperion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Living in Hereford, UK where the original band, bar Chrisie Hynde were from, the first 3 albums with James Honeyman Scott and Pete Farndon are deemed pretty legendary among the local music fraternity, and of course they are excellent as well. there are a lot of people you can talk to in the local pubs who knew them and played with them, and of course Martin Chambers is still playing drums (including the Mott reunion gigs) and is a regular at local gigs. One very interesting story I have heard is that James Honeyman Scott played on Robert John Godfrey's album the fall of Hyperion.
    The original Pretenders lineup didn't play on three full albums; it was two albums and an E.P.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Don't forget Extended Play in addition to the first three full albums. Porcelain and Cuban Slide are worthy tunes.
    these tunes are now on the deluxe version of the debut album if i read the stories right.