Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Breaking Bad: Final Season

I feel like Gilligan's too good a writer to rely on fanservice but c'mon Cranston's gotta be in it for at least one scene. You know how BB/BCS love their extended flashback scenes.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Normally I'm pretty pessimist about movie spin offs of TV shows, but this is Vince Gilligan. I get the impression it's going to work pretty well as a sort of 'after the end' scenario, but (I imagine) with a strong, self-contained story to drive it forward, and a lot more than just call backs to the source material.

just happened to catch an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal gets super emotional because his sons are going into business with him, lol

Just started binge watching BB today. Season 1 is awesome. Amazing how it sucks you in and you cannot stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Just started binge watching BB today. Season 1 is awesome. Amazing how it sucks you in and you cannot stop.
    The really amazing thing is that it stays at that level through most of the entire thing. "Better Call Saul" is also great.

Netflix and in Theaters now.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The really amazing thing is that it stays at that level through most of the entire thing. "Better Call Saul" is also great.
    That is pretty amazing to think about actually. It never had any seasons that were "bad", or even sub-par. It was pretty much consistently good throughout.

The Skyler passive-agressive act wears on me the during last 2 seasons. Great, great show as are all of its derivatives. Haven't seen the movie yet. We're on the second view of the whole series in the middle of season 5. It's just as good the second time around! For Saul to get as "bad" as he is in BB, there has got to be a hell of a lot more unspooling of his character and circumstances than has happened in Better Call Saul. Any non-spoiler thoughts on the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Skyler passive-agressive act wears on me the during last 2 seasons. Great, great show as are all of its derivatives. Haven't seen the movie yet. We're on the second view of the whole series in the middle of season 5. It's just as good the second time around! For Saul to get as "bad" as he is in BB, there has got to be a hell of a lot more unspooling of his character and circumstances than has happened in Better Call Saul. Any non-spoiler thoughts on the movie?
    Well my wife and I watched El Camino yesterday and truthfully, we were underwhelmed...It was nice to see some of the old faces from BB and get some idea of what happened to Jesse, however, we felt a little let down by the storyline and even more by the ending.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Finished Watching El Camino this afternoon. I enjoyed it. Highly worthwhile. Not quite as good as BBad, but yeah, I wanted to see something good come out of it. Some pretty bad guys endure some great Karma. Dont want to spoil it for anyone, but I liked the ending.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Watched the movie on Friday evening and thought it was very well done. Pretty much the same quality of BB, with a good if not predictable ending. I really enjoyed the use of flashbacks throughout. I would recommend it to any BB fan.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

it doesn't really scan as a movie to me - I can't see anyone who hasn't watched BB being interested in this and the fact that half of it is told in flashback means that not a whole lot actually happens. it is basically 2 more episodes of Breaking Bad, which of course is not a bad thing. it picks up right where the series left off and comes off like an extended finale. I agree it's a bit underwhelming - the "plot" was the bit I actually assumed would be told in flashback - but it's still as captivating as you'd expect. only weird spot for me is one of the returning actors from the flashbacks looking like he'd gained about 50 pounds.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I thought El Camino was excellent!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I liked El Camino....not amazing but solid. More like an extended episode than a proper film for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Yep. It happened to me a while back. I killed that thing in record time...I was doing almost a season in one day!! Crazy.

My wife and I watched El Camino last night. It wasn't fantastic, but it was nice enough that we're glad it exists. Great direction, good writing, awesome performances. It's more of that characteristic Breaking Bad dish of calculated pacing, tense action, subtle character development and outlandish turns of events. It's hard to say no to it.

My biggest gripe is it really doesn't contribute much to the overall story. It's not really even a necessary film from an arc or plot point of view. Since it doesn't set up a new series, add to the themes, or clarify the details of the original ending, the whole thing just feels sort of like a cool after thought, like "hey, by the way, here's what Jesse does after the end." It's a glorified epilogue. I was hoping (maybe delusionally) that the film would be an ambitious set up to another new series set in that universe, or that it would take Jesse's character arc in a really surprising direction. It doesn't detract from his original arc by any means, but it doesn't elevate it to new levels, either. El Camino, enjoyable as it is to watch, just doesn't have anything new to say. It's a very low-key experience compared to the explosive forward momentum of the series.

But let's face it: this film is 100% for the fans who just wanted one more second of Breaking Bad's atmosphere. And that's perfectly fine, because I'm one of 'em. I'm still waiting impatiently for more Better Caul Saul, though!

I finally got to see “El Camino” over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned it kind of played like two extra episodes to “Breaking Bad”. I thought the Flashback’s worked and it was cool to see a lot of old characters. The one scene when they flashbacked to the diner, with Aaron Paul recreating his younger, less sophisticated self was amazing acting. Some people have complained about the ending, but I liked it. Overall, I was satisfied with the whole thing and really enjoyed it.

One more thing regarding "El Camino" that could be a spoiler so don't continue reading.

The guy who plays Todd, Jesse Plemons I think his name is. That guy is just amazing in that role. He is one of the creepiest characters ever depicted on TV IMO, and he does a fantastic job in El Camino.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    ^^^^^^

Totally agree with the Jesse Plemons take. He was also very good in the second season of Fargo.
    Last edited by UnderAGlassMoon; 10-29-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Yes, he was also great as the captain in the Star Trek episode of Black Mirror. Very good actor!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

YUp, I have seen Plemmons in both Fargo and Black Mirror. The guy is one hell of an actor.

the scene with him singing in the car and the slow reveal was amazing, reminded me why I loved this show so much