Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad: Final Season

Methinks the opening disappearing acts are not to be taken lightly...

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I was physically ill watching epi 14. Never in my life has any form of entertainment, let alone a television show, effected me in such a way. I've experienced a few extreme family tragedies in my lifetime, and all I can say is this show turned my guts inside out and brought me back to that same exact headspace. Un. Fucking. Believable. I had trouble sleeping. That's pretty powerful stuff.

Hands down best episode of TV of all time. Completely high emotion from start to finish without a second of let-up. How can they top this for the final 2 shows??
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

thanks for no spoilers, y'all...gonna watch it tonight. And thanks for the warning...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I was physically ill watching epi 14.
    Me too. Just unbelievable. I was in a bad space for awhile - somewhere I'd in fact never been. What a powerful episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Me too. Just unbelievable. I was in a bad space for awhile - somewhere I'd in fact never been. What a powerful episode.
    As a dad, it was really rough... as a mom I couldn't really even imagine.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Ozymandias could well be the finale for me. Gilligan is a genius, and this one will be hard to top, but somehow, he probably will in these last two episodes.

I don't recall reading any Shelley in the past: (my loss)

"I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

I know this is a tale told many times before, but this show just paints Shelley all over it's gorgeous cinematography, editing and acting. There's Walt toppled over on the desert sand, his "shattered visage," his "frown", "his wrinkled lip" and most of all, his "sneer of cold command".

How about Meth Damon shedding a tear for Hank? And Hank's death was only the beginning of the heart shattering events we saw.

Poor Walt Jr. And God, Marie's scene with Skyler, when she tells her to "be prepared" when we in the audience all know that Marie is about to need a big dose of her own advice.

That was Heisenberg and his "sneer of cold command" for sure, in his own house (soon to be a colossal wreck) in a death struggle with Skyler.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 09-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

i will roll around on the floor laughing if the producers pull a Shyamalan and turns out Walter White has been in a coma the whole time and everything we've seen is a massive in-body hallucination/dream.

I didn't get to watch it until last night. Holy moley, that was intense!
    I had trouble sleeping.
    I did too. It was sort of a delayed reaction, because the full impact of it didn't really hit me until I went to bed and found myself thinking about it instead of falling asleep. So much drama packed into one episode!

Walt has gotta be one of the most complex characters ever created for a tv show. He has become an evil asshole in so many ways, yet he still has some scruples and compassion left, trying to save Hank and bawling his eyes out after it was unsuccessful and returning Baby Holly to the Fire Department after (apparently) realizing she's better off with her mother, as much as he seems to hate her now.

I don't know who I feel more sorry for, Marie or Walt Jr.; both of their lives were just totally shattered.

It's with eager anticipation and dread that I'm waiting to see what's going to go down in these last two episodes.

I think that (SPOILERS) that whole Heisenberg blow-up on the phone was his way of making Skyler an obvious victim and try to deflect police suspicion from her. One could argue the kidnapping was for the same motivation but I don't think so- I think he really snapped and meant to keep his daughter at all cost at that moment. Anyway, the teaser for next week implies it doesn't work and the heat is coming down on Sky.

BTW here's my prediction for the ending- Walt and Jesse wind up chained together in that lab with nothing to live for, and they agree to make it a giant smoking crater and/or poison cloud taking out each other and as much of the new gang as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I think that (SPOILERS) that whole Heisenberg blow-up on the phone was his way of making Skyler an obvious victim and try to deflect police suspicion from her.
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that, but that makes perfect sense. Seems like sometimes you have to be as clever as Walt to figure out his motives for some of the things he does. I'm obviously not.

I'm hardly that but we talk about it here at the studio a lot. I don't think Walt's thinking clearly either now. he's under way too much pressure. His plans are spur of the moment and they have holes. Our big question now is was the temporary kidnapping some brilliant move or an emotionally motivated screw-up??

I somehow see Jesse coming out on top. He's the only major character, at this point, who is capable of redemption.

Walt's line/plea near the end of "we're a family!" while trying to run away with Sky, Walt Jr. And Holly and escaping the cascading events was truly indicative that he's become fully delusional.

I guess the very first scene of this season where Walt is in a diner on his 52nd birthday making a deal for a ton of guns, now seems to portend that he's preparing for a final showdown with the new gang to free Jesse and go down in flames doing it given his inevitable death from cancer.

Yeah, Walt totally knew the fuzz was listening in on/recording the conversation. That's why he said what he said. He wanted to clear Skyler from any blame. I thought that was pretty obvious. At one point he was at the risk of completely over-playing his hand!

Incredible episode.....
    Agree with those that thought Walt knew he was bugged, and was trying to paint Skyler as victim...but the Holly grab could be taken a number of ways. The Knife fight with Skyler had me on the edge of my seat, man that was painful to watch.....

Yeah, Walt totally knew the fuzz was listening in on/recording the conversation. That's why he said what he said. He wanted to clear Skyler from any blame. I thought that was pretty obvious. At one point he was at the risk of completely over-playing his hand!
    Yes, I thought this was fairly evident as well (not that she remotely deserved such treatment after trying to murder him a few hours earlier - I was kind of hoping he'd kill her in the fracas, actually), but oh well.

I don't think he was ever at any *real* risk of overplaying his hand - that was just to make sure that everyone in the audience was getting what was going on.

I also thought it was obvious and even a little bit overdone, but I was kind of surprised the next day at work talking about the episode with people who did not get that at all out of the scene. Most of them seemed to think Walt was just being an asshole, but to me I thought right from the start of the scene that Walt was trying to take the heat off of Skyler. In fact I thought by the end he was laying it on a little too thick to the point that it would be obvious to the police of what he was trying to do. Regarding the baby, I guess it could be taken as a calculated move (setting up the phone call) or just a spur of the moment decision. After the end of the episode I had come to the conclusion that it was calculated, but I guess it may not have been.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I also thought it was obvious and even a little bit overdone, but I was kind of surprised the next day at work talking about the episode with people who did not get that at all out of the scene. Most of them seemed to think Walt was just being an asshole, but to me I thought right from the start of the scene that Walt was trying to take the heat off of Skyler. In fact I thought by the end he was laying it on a little too thick to the point that it would be obvious to the police of what he was trying to do. Regarding the baby, I guess it could be taken as a calculated move (setting up the phone call) or just a spur of the moment decision. After the end of the episode I had come to the conclusion that it was calculated, but I guess it may not have been.

Steve Sly
    My thought is that taking the baby was an emotional response in the moment, however when Holly started asking for Mama at the gas station restroom Hank realized the consequence of his actions and calculated the best strategy from there.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    My thought is that taking the baby was an emotional response in the moment, however when Holly started asking for Mama at the gas station restroom Hank realized the consequence of his actions and calculated the best strategy from there.
    I tend to agree with that.

Anyone catch Walt's pants from the first season lying on the ground as he rolled the barrel past them?

I have a feeling that the fast forward scene of Walt being at his house in a caddy with an M60 might have something to do with the last two episodes. His last line to Skyler, "I still have work to do" has to be some foreshadowing, no?
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i will roll around on the floor laughing if the producers pull a Shyamalan and turns out Walter White has been in a coma the whole time and everything we've seen is a massive in-body hallucination/dream.
    I could only imagine.

People would probably burn down Gilligan's house, or worse!
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Just a few examples of the little touches that make this show the best of the best:

Head shot!

Walt's pants from episode 1.

During the flashback phone call. Damn that was a great moment! (take the knife, take the knife!!!!!)

Gus got his. Will Walt?

That must have been some sweet ride across the country in the tanker truck.

The Jesse arc in this episode was so brutal, is he going to fool Todd and get out? So easy to keep Walt's rat trapped after all, so can Jesse take the rat's way out?

No, way too easy for this show. Poor Andrea, and what a scene for Aaron Paul there.

What a great way to bring Gray Matter in to the picture, for those who may have forgotten all about Gretchen and Elliot. Just when those who have may have been thinking Gray Matter will not factor in to the ending after all, when Walt is at his possible lowest ever moment, Wham!

Their story about the Blue meth sweeping the world, and their final insult to Walt about his minor contribution to their success is what reawakens Heisenberg for the final reckoning.

There may yet be some mind blowing events ahead comparable to "Ozymandias" for Lydia, Gretchen, Elliot, Todd and the Nazis yet...