Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Hackett-Live CD/DVD Box Set of the GR II !

Ordered this from Amazon but it hasn't shipped - hopefully today

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colininla View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Why NOT offer it to those who'd love to see it?!
    I can't remember what this was in response too, but I was joking - I was NOT surprised Hackett was releasing a CD/DVD set of this show. And happy that he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Ordered this from Amazon but it hasn't shipped - hopefully today

BG
    Not in until 11/1.

It was that way with all 3 Inside/Out discs I ordered.

So I cancelled Amazon and bought from Laser's Edge.

This was released nearly two weeks ago . Made a special trip to HMV on two occasions but wasn't in stock blaming their supplier . Managed to get it yesterday at an independent store . Only played the CD"s so far .
    I like the fact the DVD is incorporated in the package & not a seperate release . More artists are now doing this i.e. the Deep Purple , Led Zeppelin & Def Leppard live releases are the same .
    Nice to know not everyone milks the cow dry !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This was released nearly two weeks ago . Made a special trip to HMV on two occasions but wasn't in stock blaming their supplier . Managed to get it yesterday at an independent store . Only played the CD"s so far .
    I like the fact the DVD is incorporated in the package & not a seperate release . More artists are now doing this i.e. the Deep Purple , Led Zeppelin & Def Leppard live releases are the same .
    Nice to know not everyone milks the cow dry !
    Milk it, baby!

This arrived today from amazon. Nice looking set!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ordered directly from Hackett. Shipped and still waiting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm interested in the DVDs, myself. I want to get the visual experience, and hopefully some surround sound to go with it. If I want to listen to a CD while cleaning the house, or whatever, I'd much rather hear the studio versions. Even in this modern age, live CDs never sound that great, to me. I call forth The Porcupine DVD of The Incident tour as my evidence. It doesn't sound full and powerful at all, to my ears. I got through it once, and that was it.

But if live CDs are your thing, go for it.

neil

I saw the show three times and enjoyed it very much? Amazon now says shipping is delayed to Nov 1st.
    Quite honestly two and half hours of great music.

Yes, the CD's are great! good sound quality. The DVD color looked a little washed out. Probably the lighting because still shots looked fantastic.
    I'm glad overall that I bought it. Would probably not make it to a performance. Will see him again when he returns to new or his back catalog.

Oh, I received my copy October 10/25 from Burning Shed. I guess I need to contact them about the 2 DVD's in different formats
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I just spent the evening watching both DVDs in their entirety. Very entertaining... I loved the players and the atmosphere of the show, and I enjoyed the behind the scenes footage/interviews.

I'm really not a fan of Amanda Lehmann's voice, but that's a minor point. I was impressed with everyone else, particularly Gary O'Toole. Great set!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm interested in the DVDs, myself. I want to get the visual experience, and hopefully some surround sound to go with it. If I want to listen to a CD while cleaning the house, or whatever, I'd much rather hear the studio versions. Even in this modern age, live CDs never sound that great, to me. I call forth The Porcupine DVD of The Incident tour as my evidence. It doesn't sound full and powerful at all, to my ears. I got through it once, and that was it.

But if live CDs are your thing, go for it.

neil
    I never warmed up to The Incident. I like "Time Flies", but that's about it for me. I liked the previous albums by PT.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Ordered directly from Hackett. Shipped and still waiting.
    Mine arrived today.

Same here. Signed, too. Wasn't expecting that! Great set so far.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Fucking Amazing DVD.....Nan is such a great "Peter" clone and has dones the make - up too.....Is Steve Rothery doing his Leslie West impersonation...lol

Expecting mine in todays mail

Bride is working so a great window for a detailed initial viewing......if it comes

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

As usual. the US Postal service does NOT disappoint

20131102_135221.jpg

Lets get his party started....

BG

Fantastic DVD. Have mine since last week through the "Compact Disc Center" Bethlehem, PA. Thanks Mary! Saw the show at the Keswick theater, North of Philadelphia sans the light show and guests but it still gave me goose bumps.

Listened to the entire audio only from a torrent download last night. I do support Steve, so I will purchase the CD/DVD set soon. As good as the sound quality is, and the solid perform, IMO the more recent shows I've gotten from Dime shows the band even tighter, and all the musicians sound more relaxed and at ease in playing the old songs. Remember, the Hammersmith show was in May, only the second month into this long tour. The band is really on fire now, plus in May there was no Hogweed or Salmacis. I still look forward to the purchase and seeing the DVD show, but hope Steve will add a Live Selection disc like he did with the studio version, which will include Hogweed and Salmacis. That would be awesome! But all in all this release gets a up. I'm very glad this entire endeavor to revive the music of the prog-Genesis has been a major success for Steve. It shows you that the once great prog band has not been, and will never be forgotten.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 11-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Great, great DVD, but one regret - having Steve Rothery desecrate the Lamia's ending guitar solo was a really bad idea IMO

I haven't been this upset since Trevor Rabin shredded all over Howe's Yours is No Disgrace on the Union tour : )

That aside, what a great band - esp Roger King, who I think did a great job a faithfully playing Bank's statements

Just a heads up, there is also a really worthwhile boot DVD titled "The Giant Hogweed Returns to Homestead" that makes a great compliment to this

Excellent sound, and the focus is mainly on Steve the entire show, surprisingly good audience shot two DVD set

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Just a heads up, there is also a really worthwhile boot DVD titled "The Giant Hogweed Returns to Homestead" that makes a great compliment to this

Excellent sound, and the focus is mainly on Steve the entire show, surprisingly good audience shot two DVD setBG
    Thanks for the props Brian. We enjoyed recording and sharing it.

There was an issue with the Flying Colors DVD do as they mastered in 25 fps. I guess there are certain players, some made by Sony and another brand I can't remember, that won't play 25 fps. I wonder if the same issue with the SH?

Bummed

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This arrived today from amazon. Nice looking set!
    Yeah, got mine from amazon too. After reading some reviews, it looks like the US NTSC version disc 1 dvd of the concert has an issue with IKWIL... I was saving mine for xmas but opened it up and popped it in, going right for that chapter. Ugh, mine freezes and skips a few times in this chapter! So disappointing! Also on cd 1, BOTR has some weird ticking going on in the back for the middle bit of the song. What is this? No QC anymore, I suppose. So, sending it back. Wanted to get a replacement, but its out of stock. Emailed Amz and they again have no idea when it is coming in again. My guess? After a new error free run is made. So sad....
    On the plus side the picture and sound were fantastic on the dvd.

I don't get it - don't they test these things?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't recall that error... I'll check it again tonight to see. It does seem that glitches happen more often nowadays. For example, the Thick As A Brick 5.1 edition was a major flaw, with many people (including myself) having to get replacement discs. EMI did send them quickly, however.