Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KANSAS 40th Anniversary show- Pittsburgh reviews

Pittsburgh was one of the first, if not the first, city to play them on the radio substantially. Can I Tell You was a decent hit regionally and they did a lot of concerts there. I never saw them there myself; I was too young.

A few pics including the big, fan group shot under the marquee...

ksgrp.jpgIMAG0731.jpgIMAG0773.jpgIMAG0743.jpg

Here is a BETTER group shot in front of the marquee.... Are you in there?

KSGrp.jpg

And I ran across this ad today that I have never seen. Usually it's Wakeman or some guy like that, but this time it was Kerry! Know anything about that board? Is it a wannabe Moog from Korg?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean; 08-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Korg was doing some hip stuff back then- it just lacked sex appeal *lol* They couldn't get the fat Moog sound but they had a very affordable set of patchable synths in the MS series that could do things the MiniMoog couldn't do at all, and the poly synths were arguably much more interesting than the PolyMoog. They were more of a geek synth.

First audience recording is already out.

How is it?

Haven't heard it. Only saw the download. I'll probably check it out, but I'm waiting for lossless.

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Had a great whirlwind trip up to Pittsburgh. The band was really on fire and the scope of the setlists was wide. Tempos and performances were fiery!
    Wow, if I had known PE folks were going to the show I would have logged on to PE prior to my taking off for Pittsburgh. Maybe I saw a few of you at "Meat & Potatoes"?

Agree with Sean that it was a awesome show, surpassing all my expectations.

My wife and I flew from Southern California to see the show. We went and saw the Pirates the night before and spent about four days in Pittsburgh before we left for Ohio (Amish Country). The band Kansas was great and Pittsburgh is a very cool city. We tried to hit all of the bars and pubs in Pittsburgh, including a day down on Carson St. but could only visit a fraction of them. Buying beer was a challenge when we first flew in, I had to ask a guy in a Home Depot parking lot how the hell one buys beer in Penn Found the drive through distributer and then all was good.

Back to Kansas, best show I have seen from them in the last 20 years. Absolutely fabulous and it didn't hurt having seats right by the stage! The FAC T-shirts were really cool too. A very special item to take home with us. Caught a drum stick at the end of the show sighned by Phil and my wife loved that. Seeing Kerry on stage and Dave Hope was also a really nice touch. The second half of the setlist really, really, rocked. I was very impressed.

Thanks for posting the vids and pics. We haven't had time to download the ones we took yet.

all the best!

Wow! I wonder if I saw ya and didn't realize it. Post a pic when you can! Awesome review!

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    I will do that once I download the pics we took from our phones.

I was wearing a Frost* Philly Experiment T-Shirt, the one with the Red, White, and Blue snowflake on the front & a Pirates baseball cap. Row B, right stage.

I would assume the T-Shirt would have grabbed someones attention but maybe not?

I really liked the fact that Kansas included four songs off the first album. Lonely Wind was a nice suprise and Can I Tell You really sounded great live. Many, many other highpoints too, especially Magnum Opus. Just a fun time overall, the give away during the break was a nice touch, and the vibe was great.

Did Kerry and Dave play the whole show, or where they just doing guest spots?

Just guest spots. Kerry did Hold On on guitar and The Wall on keys. Dave played Lonely Wind and The Wall. It was a miracle Kerry could even get through Hold On on guitar, there's no way he could play the whole set like he used to. And Dave obviously does not know the set like he used to either. Still, they added a lot just being there. Kerry playing at all, a mere 4 years after his stroke is pretty unexpected.

audience recording

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    First audience recording is already out.
    Do you have a link for the audience recording?

Here is a compilation of the videos I shot. They don't look great, but I think they sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spohammer View Post
    Do you have a link for the audience recording?
    http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90...gh-162588.html

You'll need a utility to expand the .rar file.

It's lossy. I have not grabbed it, so I don't know the quality. I understand Walsh sounds pretty rough.

Nice angle for Can I Tell You?

I grabbed the show off Dime for a friend, he's a Kansasshole.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!