Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Sabbath - Live Evil...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Agree 100% as I was at that show.
    Lucky you
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Can't believe all the flak Live Evil gets here....chocked....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

OP asked aboaut dio era live sabbath and you guys all ignore him and recommend ozzy stuff. lol

well warners or deluxe? rate your music has them about even; the remastered ones tend to score a little higher but they don't talk much about the sound quality or whats changed.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't mind Dio's interpretation of the OO era tunes, but for a 'gloom and doom' band like Sabbath, having stupid call & response audience singalongs like H & H is just wrong. It's not the Bay City Rollers or Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't mind Dio's interpretation of the OO era tunes, but for a 'gloom and doom' band like Sabbath, having stupid call & response audience singalongs like H & H is just wrong. It's not the Bay City Rollers or Journey.
    Yeah, but audiences always ate it up, so it can't be all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Yeah, but audiences always ate it up, so it can't be all that bad.
    Perhaps, but offer them another song as an alternative and I'm sure they'd be happy to refrain from eating.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Perhaps, but offer them another song as an alternative and I'm sure they'd be happy to refrain from eating.
    Totally don't agree. Heaven & Hell was a must play song at any Dio-era Sabbath concert, just like War Pigs, Iron Man, or Paranoid would be at any Sabbath show with Ozzy. Regardless of whether you like the 'on and on, on and on it's heaven & hell' or the 'ohhh, ohhhh ohhhh ohhhhhhhh" chants with the crowd, if they omitted this song most fans would not be too happy about it. It's easily in the top 3 most popular songs from the Dio version of the band.

That being said, I do see your point to a degree, but as someone who saw Sabbath with Dio many times, this little 'sing along' only took up maybe 2 minutes of a 90+ minute show, so there was plenty of crushing epic metal to be had.

I normally detest singalongs at shows....I find them juvenile. But Heaven and Hell is an exception for me....it just always seemed like the right thing to do, especially since it meant interacting with Ronnie. In fact, that's certainly the reason I thought it was ok.

The version of H&H on Live Evil is astoundingly great, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    I normally detest singalongs at shows....I find them juvenile. But Heaven and Hell is an exception for me....it just always seemed like the right thing to do, especially since it meant interacting with Ronnie. In fact, that's certainly the reason I thought it was ok.

The version of H&H on Live Evil is astoundingly great, IMO.
    It kind of depends really... I generally don't like the customer-friendly "audience participation" bit But....

Rush's CloserTo The Heart was a real surprise (to me anyway, but maybe to the band as well at first)

although not a surprise, I once heard on radio Skynyrd do an instrumental version of Freebird, where the audience sang the whole lyrics instead of the singer... despite the plan (the singer announced it and obviously the mikes had been set above the crowd) that kind of ruined its spontaneity, it was still a highly emotional thing (drew tears of joy from my eyes), especially that the audience actually had it down pat...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Back to Live Evil, I've always had a soft spot for this album, though it seems to be taking a beating among most here. Always thought Ronnie did a fine job on those old Sabbath classics, and the H&H and Mob Rules tunes sound great.

If you guys have not heard it you might want to check out the bonus disc that came with the re-mastered “Mob Rules” that came out last year. It is a live album from the same tour as “Live Evil”. Although it covers similar ground I think it is a much better performance with a few different tracks.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Totally don't agree. Heaven & Hell was a must play song at any Dio-era Sabbath concert, just like War Pigs, Iron Man, or Paranoid would be at any Sabbath show with Ozzy. Regardless of whether you like the 'on and on, on and on it's heaven & hell' or the 'ohhh, ohhhh ohhhh ohhhhhhhh" chants with the crowd, if they omitted this song most fans would not be too happy about it. It's easily in the top 3 most popular songs from the Dio version of the band.
    You misunderstood my statement. I didn't state a different song, I mean another one (an additional one), instead of the childish call-and-response.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You misunderstood my statement. I didn't state a different song, I mean another one (an additional one), instead of the childish call-and-response.
    Got ya!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xipetotec6 View Post
    No one likes the Hammersmith live release?
    Hammersmith is blistering and I think that set is available again as the second disc on one of the deluxe editions for those who missed out on the Rhino/Handmade release.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If you guys have not heard it you might want to check out the bonus disc that came with the re-mastered “Mob Rules” that came out last year. It is a live album from the same tour as “Live Evil”. Although it covers similar ground I think it is a much better performance with a few different tracks.

Steve Sly
    That would be the Hammersmith set I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    That would be the Hammersmith set I assume.
    Yes, it is.

Steve Sly

Has anyone seen the footage filmed for the aborted Live eviL concert film?
    The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; ¾ an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc., is sure to be noticed.