Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goblin - What do I need?

Goblin - What do I need?

Hi -

As many of you know, I broadcast a prog rock radio show and I'm already planning a Halloween special (as Halloween is on a Thursday this year ... which coincides with my show night!) and having heard Goblin on Gagliarchives Halloween Special, I know I need to include them! So, with ProgDay coming up and with some money saved up, I plan to pick up one of their albums if one of the vendors has it available. What can you folks suggest?

Ian

If that is the band that composed the music for horror movies, most notably Dario Argento, then maybe the soundtracks for Deep Red or Suspiria would be OK. That music is recognisable. Although the audio levels in the movie Suspiria were too high (but that's another topic).

Btw, Deep Red is also known by its Italian title - Profondo Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Btw, Deep Red is also known by its Italian title - Profondo Rosso.
    Er, I'd say it is primarily known by its Italian title.

But yes, both Profondo Rosso and Suspiria are good, Tenebre has some reasonably fine parts and even the post-Goblin Phenomena has some solid synthesizer ditties on it. But the best Goblin album by far was Roller, IMHO.

The pre-Goblin vocal-based symphonic rock group Cherry Five released a great album as well, albeit somewhat derivative of Genesis and Yes.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not much to add; Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Roller and the Cherry Five album are all essential. Il fantastico viaggio del “bagarozzo” Mark (not a soundtrack) is also very good.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Talent Is an Asset”-Sparks/Kimono My House

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

But yes, both Profondo Rosso and Suspiria are good, Tenebre has some reasonably fine parts and even the post-Goblin Phenomena has some solid synthesizer ditties on it. But the best Goblin album by far was Roller, IMHO.

The pre-Goblin vocal-based symphonic rock group Cherry Five released a great album as well, albeit somewhat derivative of Genesis and Yes.
    There was also the movie "The Church" ("La Chiesa") - if I'm not mistaken, that one is mainly credited to Keith Emerson and Goblin, although I don't know how much each of them did there. It definitely has that Goblin sound and it's a good soundtrack.

And, btw, Phenomena is fantastic except for those metal parts which although not completely awful, lack subtlety which the other parts have. Although there are people who like those metal band songs there.

But the best Goblin album by far was Roller,
    Yup. One of their few non-soundtrack albums. It should be noted that sometimes Goblin get both funky and/or electronic, so if that's not your thing then beware.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Buio Omega(!)

NonHoSonno
    Suspiria
    Profondo Rosso
    Phenomena
    Tenebre is not (credited as) Goblin. But it's a great album.
    Contamination (some Zombi 2 vibes going on here Ack, the movie even starts the same!)

And don't forget the one people always seem to forget...
    Solamente Nero!

Goblin related: I Libra - Schock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYYYMK1Odf0

Not much Goblin to be found in the La Chiesa OST.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Suspiria & Zombi Dawn Of The Dead were the ones Udi recommended to me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And, btw, Phenomena is fantastic except for those metal parts which although not completely awful, lack subtlety which the other parts have. Although there are people who like those metal band songs there.
    There's an Iron Maiden song in there, isn't there? Anyway it's really badly featured in the movie itself, which counts among the weakest of Argento's 1975-90s work, IMO. Only the introduction, with the synth mumble following that girl who misses the bus, stands out as "classic" Argento.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Roller Il Fantastico Del Bagarozzo Mark are the best Goblin for me. Cherry Five is killer also.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Roller Il Fantastico Del Bagarozzo Mark are the best Goblin for me. Cherry Five is killer also.
    My sentiments, exactly

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Roller & Il Fantastico Del Bagarozzo Mark are the best Goblin for me. Cherry Five is killer also.
    Throw in Suspira and I'm with you.

As mentioned before:
    Roller wasn't a soundtrack that's why it is more consistent. I think their best by far.
    Profondo Rosso, Suspiria are the best soundtrack-albums both are rather short but very good.
    If you want vocals then go for "Il Fantastico Viaggio Del Bagarozzo Mark" (not a soundtrack) Very good prog Album.

"Cherry Five" is actually the real Goblin debut. It was shelved after it was recorded, because of contract problems
    with the drummer Carlo Bordini (Rustichelli & Bordini). It also features the vocalist of "L'Uovo di Colombo".
    There never really was a group called "Cherry Five". That name was made up because of its late release and
    again because of contract problems (that's why the Goblin members are not listed in the line up)
    It's sung in English and also rather in a british prog style (and really great).

If you like live albums and want to have some good overview go for the "Live in Rome" 2CD (by "New Goblin")

I will have to check out Suspiria.

More love for Roller here. Short, but exquisite. One of my faves from the rich Italian scene.

Also Goblin related-- as many know, one of the best fusion albums from Italy-- Etna.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Only the introduction, with the synth mumble following that girl who misses the bus, stands out as "classic" Argento.
    I disagree
    It's classic Argento and a nice companion piece to Opera...
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Roller
    Deep red
    Dawn of the dead
    Chi(single)
    Yell(single)
    Patrick
    Amo non amo
    Squad antigangsters
    Contamination
    Buio omega
    Notturno

This is 1975-83
    These are my faves. I don't see what's so good about suspiria. It's just noises mainly. The only song I really like is blind concert which didn't even make the movie

Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 08-19-2013 at 06:39 AM.

There's an Iron Maiden song in there, isn't there? Anyway it's really badly featured in the movie itself, which counts among the weakest of Argento's 1975-90s work, IMO. Only the introduction, with the synth mumble following that girl who misses the bus, stands out as "classic" Argento.
    Yes, there should be an Iron Maiden song, also something of Motorhead or some other metal band. You could say that this music gives the scenes some edge, the last time I saw those tracks did not bother me as much as previously, although without them it would be even better. As for the movie itself, I wouldn't say that it is one of the weakest of his. Let me put it this way - most of his 70's work is better than Phenomena, but within the 80's context it works just as much as Tenebre, Opera or others on which he worked as writer or producer - Demons and La Chiesa.
    On a side note, I think that John Carpenter was an even better composer not only on his directed movies, but also Halloween 3.

As for the movie itself, I wouldn't say that it is one of the weakest of his. Let me put it this way - most of his 70's work is better than Phenomena, but within the 80's context it works just as much as Tenebre, Opera or others
    Well, at least this movie gives a new understanding to the "phenomena" of actors not being able to inhale - I'm thinking specifically of the roommate of Jennifer Connolly's character. Donald Pleasence is great fun as always, though. In a sense I thought Argento's stad at the supernatural (with Inferno especially) was going somewhere, so that when he returned to the giallo genre with Tenebre things were already heading downhill. I guess Phenomena was his attempt at merging the two.

I've never heared Goblin's music.I'm intrigued by the posts and music clips here.I'll order two cds,i'll have to decide which two.......hmmmmmm.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Daemonia is a modern band formed by former Goblin keyboardist Claudio Simonetti. They've recorded an updated, fresh version of Zombi/Dawn of the Dead as well as a Dario Argenti tribute album. Worth checking out.