Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King Animal - New Soundgarden

Fripp!

I'm still playing the album. I love it. I can't gush enough about it.

These songs are as good as anything they've done:

Been Away too long
    Non-State Actor
    By Crooked Steps
    Blood On The Valley Floor
    Bones Of Birds
    Taree
    Worse Dreams
    Eyelid's Mouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yes, it is. Get it. You're gonna love it. Great band. Also check out the non-album track "We Are The Whip." You'll want the other two Audioslave albums, eventually.
    Wasn't the last one a concept album?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Fripp!

I'm still playing the album. I love it. I can't gush enough about it.

These songs are as good as anything they've done:

Been Away too long
    Non-State Actor
    By Crooked Steps
    Blood On The Valley Floor
    Bones Of Birds
    Taree
    Worse Dreams
    Eyelid's Mouth

Sorry, I just couldn't believe what I read. LOL!! Someone on a prog site saying that they don't like Robert's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Sorry, I just couldn't believe what I read. LOL!! Someone on a prog site saying that they don't like Robert's playing.
    I didn't say I didn't like his playing, I've just never been all that crazy about his style. I get the same vibe from Kim Thayil, but I do think Kim is fine guitar player. He also reminds me a bit of Jimmy Page. But when I hear Jesus Christ Pose and Kim's doing that atonal riffing thing it reminds me of Red-era King Crimson. Ya know, this music is called grunge, but I think it's just intelligent, hard/rock, right up there with Crimson and Rush.

I was fartin' around at Youtube and found this:

They do 2 songs from King Animal and Rusty Cage. The interview with Jools is lame. Jools tries to be cute and funny and you could see that Chris tries to restrain himself from doing one of these --->

But it's cool to see this band is still so badass after all these years. If they come down here I'll go see them.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 12-10-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Nice video. If anything, they're playing better than they did back in the day. Perhaps less substances around or just more focus on getting the job done.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The only thing about that stupid interview I liked was finding out that Johnny Cash covered "Rusty Cage." I'm not a Johnny Cash fan but I'm curious to hear that cover he did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I didn't say I didn't like his playing, I've just never been all that crazy about his style. I get the same vibe from Kim Thayil, but I do think Kim is fine guitar player. He also reminds me a bit of Jimmy Page. But when I hear Jesus Christ Pose and Kim's doing that atonal riffing thing it reminds me of Red-era King Crimson. Ya know, this music is called grunge, but I think it's just intelligent, hard/rock, right up there with Crimson and Rush.
    I don't think you're that off on your point since Kurt Cobain was a fan of Red.

Here's Johnny:

Now there's a singer that could make damn near anything his own.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks for posting that video Jerjo. I've been meaning to check out Johnny's cover of Rusty Cage. I'm not into Johnny Cash but I'll give him props for doing a country cover of a fast, grunge/rock song like that.

Jesus, man I cannot stop listening to King Animal. It's been what? 3 weeks? A month? I simply cannot stop listening to Soundgarden. They're like Rush! Intelligent rock with odd time siggies. My God they rock!!!!!

just finished listening to a borrowed copy of King Animal.
    initial impression - sounds pretty much like they picked up where they left off, doesn't quite smack me like Badmotorfinger or Superunknown did when i first heard them but those are hard to top in my book. i'm sure i'll like this even more with repeated spins.

i thought the same thing about Clockwork Angels when i bought it and it's is by far my favorite of 2012.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    By Crooked Steps vid. Directed by Dave Grohl. Does Grohl even sleep? I think not.

http://soundgardenworld.com/crookedSteps/index.html

The eons are closing
    Cannot believe I have forgotten that this was out.....must fix this error.

Re: Audioslave
    One trick pony and that trick was used on Cochise (psst...I have all the albums, so dont go there). However, I could listen to Cochise a hundred times in a row, its that good of a tune.

Re: Superunknown
    While it might not be my fave SG album (that's probably badmotorfinger); the title track is likely my fave SG song.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit