Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychedeliic Pill

Psychedeliic Pill

Man, this rocks!!! It kicks the arse of most of his recent albums with Crazy Horse. Apart from Americana, which is also fantastic, I'd have to say this is the best NY & CH album since Ragged Glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1qw2MmVOM
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-15-2013 at 08:27 PM.

eye eye

Agreed, great album!

Steve Sly

His best..... since at least Ragged Glory .... or even Rust Never Sleeps
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Long loping guitar solos, great lyrics, wonderful disc.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    His best..... since at least Ragged Glory .... or even Rust Never Sleeps
    I didn't even for a heartbeat consider jumping over Ragged Glory & letting Psych Pill go all the way back to Rust because for me Ragged Glory is such a seminal, fantastic grungy record & one of his top 5 IMO.

There is no doubt that this is one of my favorite Neil albums ever. I love the songs, the jams and the way the album sounds. 100% Classic Neil "If I feel the need jam for 25 minutes, fuck it!" Young. What amazes me is he can jam for so long, play so few notes, and yet keep me engaged as a listener. What a fucking legend!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I like it for the most part, though I Was Born in Ontario is kind of lame.

I used to be and still am, his music always spoke to me that had this organic naturalistic vibe to a lot of it. I haven't picked this up yet though, but saw where it was out. I never picked up the last album either prior to it. But I like the sound to this one already. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I like it for the most part, though I Was Born in Ontario is kind of lame.
    I hadn't relistened to it fir the first ever since I had bought it and the initial discovery in the following weeks .

It's maybe not as strong as I'd originally thought (but Neil never THE perfect album anyway), but I'm always a sucker for Neil's sleazy and sizzling electric guitars, like in here.

Yeah, some tracks are weaker, notably on the repetitive lyrics (some of these tracks coulmd fit in the repetitivr catchy chorus thread), others are not that well recorded (though a dirty sound never never hurt Neil's music), but you can sense some tracks are elongated to fit the double disc format (thinkibg of Always Dancing). With a little bit of editing (and I dçon't mean necessarily on the three longer tracks), the album would've held on a single CD (but not on a single Lp).

In some ways, Psych Pill could be one of the example of how a double vinyl now imposes the CD format a double disc release.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In some ways, Psych Pill could be one of the example of how a double vinyl now imposes the CD format a double disc release.
    Can you elaborate on that as I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Well, beforehand, when a double vinyl studio or live album was reissued on CD, they either cutout a track to be able to fit it into the 80-mins of a Cd (as Electric Ladyland suffered)...

Then the CD length imposed that most albums of the 90's and 00's imposed the vinyl version to go double (which I found a tremendous setback)

In PP's case, the total album length is above 80 mins (close to 85 minutes, I believe), but it's still able to fit one two vinyl discs, but it's forcing the CD format to go double-disc. And since the industry seems to hint (or be happy to hint) that albums are now made more for the vinyl format, then CDs....

Hope I made it clearer

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I like this album a lot. Favorites right now are "Driftin' Back" and "Ramada Inn."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    Yeah, some tracks are weaker, notably on the repetitive lyrics
    There's nothing on there that competes with Neil's own:

"Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone
    Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no t-bone"
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

In PP's case, the total album length is above 80 mins (close to 85 minutes, I believe), but it's still able to fit one two vinyl discs
    In terms of total length it would, but because of the track lengths the vinyl version is actually a five-sided triple LP.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    In terms of total length it would, but because of the track lengths the vinyl version is actually a five-sided triple LP.

You're right.(I checked).. but that's pretty dumb too, IMHO

Splitting Drifting Back in two sides is downright stupid ...
    you can put up to 30 minutes of music on a vinyl side (TD and Klaus Schulze did a few times)... so that 27-mins+ BDB track could've itted on side A alone.

Hope I made it clearer
    I think so. But I think the word you are looking for is required NOT imposed, that's what makes it hard to understand But I see what you mean now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1qw2MmVOM
    With that very first strum on Walk Like a Giant at 7 to 8 seconds did anyone else immediately start singing Del Shannon's Runaway which opens with exactly the same little strum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S13mP_pfEc

Neil has always been fond of borrowing riffs and little bits & pieces as reference markers, I wonder if this one is intentional or just coincidental.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Christ, Neil is too prolific. I lost touch with him years ago because he just produces too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Christ, Neil is too prolific. I lost touch with him years ago because he just produces too much.
    I know what you're getting at, but PP dates from early Oct last year... and he's not released anything since

OK, the year is not yet finished, but he release either one or two album/year (often two)... So he must be in a rut

Oh yea, definitely a very busy man. I have every album (including comps, soundtracks and lives) up to and including Sleeps With Angels on vinyl, so that's about 35-40 LPs.

A few of the oddities I have on vinyl are "Lucky Thirteen", "Eldorado" "Unplugged" and "Journey Through the Past"

Then I went over to CDs only, when in about 94 it was starting to get really difficult to find vinyl anymore, so on CD I bought the albums from Mirror Ball to Are You Passionate... and that was the last one I bought on CD, because the string of 3 documentary type albums after that, I thought were bloody awful, I still don't own them - Greendale, Prairie Wind, Living With War.

But with Neil and the Horse back on track I bought Americana on double vinyl.

Excellent album. I agree it's his best since Ragged Glory.

I'm overdue to get PP. I know I need it. A new release is coming soon but it is one from the archives, a long ago show at The Cellar Door. I really enjoyed Greendale and Prairie Wind and while there were films associated with them, I don't think they are documentaries.

No, I know, but they had a kind of serious moaning feel about them about communities, workers and social problems. Compare them to Fork in the Road where he found his sense of humour again.

I found Greendale covered territory Neil has often written about; ecology, drug culture and to a lesser extent, media reporting. Prairie Wind is more serious as I think it is more personally reflective as he wrote and recorded this knowing he he was going to have a neurological stent inserted soon after recording : he was not sure wether his capacities would be affected by surgery. As I recall from reports when these albums came out, both were written and recorded in about a two week span each. Stunning array of instrument sounds nicely woven together on Prairie Wind. I'll have to give Fork a few more listens, my initial impression was that it was too car centric (cars being another Neil theme) and was more casual in preparation and delivery than the NY standards I am used to. Sleeps Like Angels has a 'moaning feel' for me and I thought that might have been his best since Tonight's the Night.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Greendale was interesting soundwise because even though it was a Crazy Horse record, Poncho was left out of the sessions, so it had the same grunginess but with a less dense sound. I've never paid close attention to the words so I don't really recall what his point was.