Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guilty pleasure: Circus – S/T, Movin On, Fearless Tearless and Even Less

New guilty pleasure: Circus – S/T, Movin On, Fearless Tearless and Even Less

For those searching for yet more underappreciated obscure prog that you heard about (in old hardcopy Laser’s Edge catalogs) but never found…I submit the following:

Circus, Swiss band, 3 albums, lots of VDGG influence early on (no keys) shifting to a later weird obsession with UK’s Danger Money (lots of keys).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1G1...3m7xJSGzUWkBf2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsacL...3m7xJSGzUWkBf2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlcN...3m7xJSGzUWkBf2

Enjoy,

Chris

The first two albums are quite excellent, with Movin' On being an all-time favorite of mine. The S/T is a quieter, more chamber-like affair that is very dynamic.

Movin' On has long been considered a classic, and has more bounce in its step. This is really a singular album, with strong bass, acoustic guitar, vibes and percussion being the main focus. The first few songs are vocal oriented, almost a bit poppy in their delivery. The VdGG comparison is apt in the instrumental passages, really coming to the fore at the end of side one with "Dawn" and on the suite on side two.

I just recently got the first two on vinyl and have been having a blast returning to them. No legit CDs have ever been issued, and it seems like one of the band doesn't have any interest in letting it happen.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    All three excellent albums. The legendary status of "Movin' On" kinda overshadows the other two, who are - though not as good - certainly in need for rediscovery. Especially the last album is terribly underestimated.

There's actually a pretty good live-album too: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6514.

I've been spamming Vicky from Esoteric Recording since the brink of this century to reissue this. I've even talked on-line (in 2005, I guess) with former drummer Fritz Hauser, now an accomplished Swiss percussionist. He lead me to Marco Cerletti, who seems to hold all the rights to it. Supposedly he didn't have time to bother with it, being busy with his company, whatever that is. I've no idea how things stand right now. Probably nothing is happening, which is a pity. This could be a fruitful collaboration, and a good series, just like the FM's lately.

I sure hope it will still happen. I'll grab all 4 in a heart-beat.

Why a guilty pleasure?

Absolutely marvelous first two albums... Movin' On nearing perfection...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I've been spamming Vicky from Esoteric Recording since the brink of this century to reissue this. I've even talked on-line (in 2005, I guess) with former drummer Fritz Hauser, now an accomplished Swiss percussionist. He lead me to Marco Cerletti, who seems to hold all the rights to it. Supposedly he didn't have time to bother with it, being busy with his company, whatever that is. I've no idea how things stand right now. Probably nothing is happening, which is a pity. This could be a fruitful collaboration, and a good series, just like the FM's lately.

I sure hope it will still happen. I'll grab all 4 in a heart-beat.
    Mmmhhh!!!... Pat from Galileo Records had announced at one point talks were under way for releasing their catalogue ... and even some unreleased material (which included another epic).... But nothing ever became from this... and he's not answered on topic (or at all) when asked about the progress on this "dossier"

Never say never, of coure (after all Kandahar and Sloche reissues did happen)... but I'm not counting on that anymore.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Have em all on vinyl... gave up on legit cd releases. Nothing guilty about them at all.
    In fact one of the best. They released 4 albums btw not 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Why a guilty pleasure?
    Guilty of being brilliant albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Absolutely marvelous first two albums... Movin' On nearing perfection...

Mmmhhh!!!... Pat from Galileo Records had announced at one point talks were under way for releasing their catalogue ... and even some unreleased material (which included another epic).... But nothing ever became from this... and he's not answered on topic (or at all) when asked about the progress on this "dossier"

Never say never, of coure (after all Kandahar and Sloche reissues did happen)... but I'm not counting on that anymore.
    Pat would most likley be frustrated like everyone (Sireena Records had anounced the rereleases some years ago and ended up quite bitter)
    who ever tried to do these albums. I still rember quite well how frustrated the band keyboarder (who tried to force the rereleases) was.

Seems to be a personal thing envolved. But even that Eider Stellaire was released, which seemed impossible, so there is still hope.

Movin' is a Monster. The other two a very good. The live one isn't really a Circus album but nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Pat would most likley be frustrated like everyone (Sireena Records had anounced the rereleases some years ago and ended up quite bitter)
    who ever tried to do these albums. I still rember quite well how frustrated the band keyboarder (who tried to force the rereleases) was.
    They didn't have a KB player... at least n the first two albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    They didn't have a KB player... at least n the first two albums
    Stephan Ammann was an original founding member of the band, but left before the first album (to rejoin on the live one (and third)).

And do not let us forget: Blue Motion a Circus follow up band with
    Stephan Ammann
    Fritz Hauser
    Stephan Grieder (Andreas brother)

All three great albums. The only serious complain is the name of the band - not very original) Everyone is calling them 'Swiss Circus', to avoid the tangle.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Guilty of being brilliant albums.

I think this is the band I was looking for.

I remember a thread here that listed a sort of keyboard-less VdGG, but I could've sworn it was from the early the '70s. Is there another acoustic guitar, sax/flute, bass, drums band out there that I'm thinking of?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I don’t get why a band this sophisticated should be considered a “guilty pleasure.” I do remember that I heard their debut first, and after all I had heard about them lo these many years, I was a little disappointed. It was far from bad but I expected more.

Then I heard Movin’ On. Now that is, for certain, a lost classic! They use the language of symphonic prog but take it someplace new and exciting.

I barely remember anything about the third, except that it sounded like just another typical, ordinary late-70s Euro-prog album. On the other hand...

Stephan Ammann
    Fritz Hauser
    This is a worthwhile, and very underrated, release! I cherish my Laser’s Edge CD more than ever, considering how out-of-print this album is. They definitely don’t sound like one would expect a keyboards/keyboards/percussion trio to sound in 1980, heavily based around pianos and organ, with minimal synth (both keyboardists are credited with ARP Quadra, but it seems to have been used largely for bass parts).

Oh, and the term is “keyboardist” and not “keyboarder.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Continue”-Via Lumini/Vτos e sonhos

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I remember a thread here that listed a sort of keyboard-less VdGG, but I could've sworn it was from the early the '70s. Is there another acoustic guitar, sax/flute, bass, drums band out there that I'm thinking of?
    Island "Pictures" possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I don’t get why a band this sophisticated should be considered a “guilty pleasure.” I do remember that I heard their debut first, and after all I had heard about them lo these many years, I was a little disappointed. It was far from bad but I expected more.
    Actually, while I don't think Movin' Out sounds that much VdGG (maybe some of the vocals in the sidelong title track), their first album reminds me more of Gnidrolog rather than VdGG as well.
    Oh, and the term is “keyboardist” and not “keyboarder.”
    You may want to cut him some slack, since he's German

====================

Blue Motion: yup, it's rather good but sonically quite different from Circus... Though I find there is little musical continuity from what I've heard, anyway >>>> and that track is the only one I've ever heard >> are there other places I can hear the whole album?
    Last edited by Trane; 08-16-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Stephan Ammann
    Fritz Hauser
    Yes. This is a great album, sitting on the more experimental side of progressive rock, with its minimal electronic and jazzy aproach. Hopefully it got an official CD reissue by Laser's Edge.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Island "Pictures" possibly?
    I'd say! That one is a certified monster record - and arguably one of the very last truly progressive "symphonic rock" albums of the 70s (some Eastern European bands definitely added to the heritage during the 80s). Peter Scherer played keys (piano, organ, clavinet and Rhodes most prominently) and bass pedals, and there was no guitarist or bass player per sι. The material is great on this one, taking further steps and controlling that motion by way of compositional insight due to Scherer's scholarly practice. His later endeavours (including that album of film music which he released on Zorn's Tzadik label in the 90s) is very underrated, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes. This is a great album, sitting on the more experimental side of progressive rock, with its minimal electronic and jazzy aproach. Hopefully it got an official CD reissue by Laser's Edge.
    Yes of course. I still have the master tapes sitting here. Fritz Hauser sat in on the mastering session with Bob Katz and myself in NYC.

We only do authorized reissues...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Yes of course. I still have the master tapes sitting here. Fritz Hauser sat in on the mastering session with Bob Katz and myself in NYC.

We only do authorized reissues...
    since it appears it's Cerletti making obstruction for the Circus reissues, and he's not concerned by Blue Motion, how would Hauser feel about another reissue... I'm sure you'd find quite a few takers (me included)

Oh yeah. All 8 people on this forum who are interested, of which half will just download it from a blog site.

My eyes are filled with dollar signs just thinking about it.

[Oh, and the term is “keyboardist” and not “keyboarder.”
    Sorry for that, keyboarder is the ususal term in German. We tend to use a lot of words with a anglo-saxon sound to them which
    do not exist (or have a totally different meaning) in the English/American language (you might be confused if you would know what an Oldtimer or a Handy mean in German).

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I just recently got the first two on vinyl and have been having a blast returning to them. No legit CDs have ever been issued, and it seems like one of the band doesn't have any interest in letting it happen.
    No one corrected this, so I will (or maybe someone did, and I just missed it). There is a legit CD of "Movin' On". It was reissued by the Decoder label in 1990 and is near impossible to find anymore. I bought it not long after its release fortunately. The other 3 albums have never been reissued legit on CD (and as mentioned, both Galileo and Sireena made pre-announcements only to have to retract them later). As such, they continue to thrive in the pirate market.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Oh yeah. All 8 people on this forum who are interested, of which half will just download it from a blog site.

My eyes are filled with dollar signs just thinking about it.
    Hey Ken,
    Why not call me an arsehole straight out??
    What did I ever do to you to warrant such antipathy??

1- how did you manage with the Secret Oyster reissues (where I'm sure millions awaited eagerly a legit reissue)?? I had them all on boots (not necessarily Tachikas), but I still re-bought the first three (ok, I passed on Astarte, which is not good, IMHO), thanks to a certain Golden thought!!

2- I never hinted you'd make a fortune out of a Blue Motion reissue, or that you'd sell millions of copies of it. But there is a small demand (like there was for Secret Oyster), and PE is hardly the only site around... AFAIK, there aren't widely-available boots of the album (Tachika or Poor House or others) on offer on the net (or else I'd have one in my shelves... which would not stop me from getting a legit reissue... Just like I would buy all four legit Circus reissue if available, despite owning already the legit Movin' Out

3- Sure, the demand is tiny, and some potential fans have your first reissue (dating from.... 92, right??? >> there are no new prog fans since 92, right??), but with a comprehensive booklet or liner notes from Hauser, you'd probably manage to sell a few copies right away and if the reissue # of example is small enough (but not too small, or else there is no point) and you'd probably sell 90% in a year or so

4- How does Esoteric manage with some of those confidential reissues? I'd bet Vicky and Mark Powell would give it plenty more considerations than you seem to.

5- You have the master tapes, Hauser's approval should not be too hard to get (since you've had a previous one), so costs are probably less than if you were to do Flame Dream or Circus (just to mention other Swiss bands).

Yeah, sure, it's risky.... but then again everyone of your releases was/is a risky bet, right??