Thread: Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger or Mystical Adventures

Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger or Mystical Adventures

or

Big JLP fan here! ..... I really, truly love both of these albums. I suppose I'd take Cosmic Messenger if I had to choose.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The title track from Cosmic... and The Final Truth from ...Adventures are two of my most listened to JLP tunes.

I rarely listen to either album straight through.

Cosmic really kicks MA's butt. That said, Enigmatic Ocean kick's CM's butt too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    IMO CM over MA, but he put out a great string of albums over about a 10 year span starting with Aurora, and that includes both of 'em.

Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, Mystical Adventures
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Can I choose Imaginary Voyage instead? LOL. Though I love all three, he was hitting his creative peak on these albums.

I think Mystical adventures is a bit more in a symphonic rock direction. It was the second Jean Luc Ponty album I bought and the first one I really fell in love with. The first album I had was Aurora, but it didn't click with me. Now I love it, but well, my tastes have widened.

I love them both but would give CM the nod over MA. It's more consistent, something about the title track just enthralls me from the very first notes, and it has the high speed solos of Egocentric Molecules to boot.

The MA suite is a favorite though.

Imaginary Voyage and Enigmatic Ocean are neck and neck for me. I think a comparison between those 2 might have more interesting results.

Cosmic Messenger comes in 3rd, then the others follow with Mystical Adventures and Aurora probably toward the top of that pack.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Love them both, but my vote goes to Mystical Adventures. Part of this goes back to playing Rhythms of Hope in a band back in the 80s, but I've always really loved this album.

Bill

I love them both as well, but have to go with Cosmic Messenger because it was my initiation both via album and concert! What a master he is. Joakim Leviano as well!

I slightly favor Mystical Adventures. I think his last foray into the long-form suite was his most coherent. Both "Jig" and Stevie Wonder's "As" are favorites as well.

Don't know either album, but my fave Ponty records are Aurora, and the Jean Luc Ponty Experience-Open String
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Both!