Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Änglagård- Hybris

FEATURED ALBUM: Änglagård- Hybris

One of the great albums of all time? Only you can decide...

Review from ProgArchives (Proghead)
    It's easy to understand how a band like ÄNGLAGARD had to happen. Let's see what happened in the prog rock scene in between the thirteen years before "Hybris" came out near the end of 1992 right up to that time: punk, disco, and new wave brought an end of prog rock by 1979. People were getting so desperate for something from their prog heroes in the '80s, they'd even welcomed ASIA, which I thought was just a pop band trying to pander to the Lowest Common Denominator. YES and GENESIS went pop. The Neo-prog scene emerged (such as MARILLION) which while welcomed by many progsters, many others derided it as being nothing more than a modernized update of the GABRIEL-era GENESIS sound. By 1991-92, things were really looking down on some of the big name prog acts: YES gave us Union, which is regarded by many as a big disaster. Likewise, ELP gave us Black Moon, which wasn't all that great, in my opinion.

That gave room to a Swedish band, in which half the members were 17-18 (that is drummer Mattias Olsson, guitarist Jonas Engdegård, and keyboardist Thomas Johnson - the other half, being older, around the 23-25 age range consisted of guitarist Tord Lindman, bassist Johan Högberg, and flautist Anna Holmgren). This band was called ÄNGLAGARD. Despite having members of age where they were either too young or not even alive when many of the great prog rock albums came out, they were obviously not pleased with how prog was going. If they had to put up with ASIA, if they had to put up with Love Beach, only to have the band reunite 14 years later and give Black Moon, they knew they had to take matters in to their own hands. And this was their approach: ditch all digital equipment, never lay their hands on a Yamaha DX-7, get themselves a Mellotron and Hammond organ, get themselves a whole bunch of other instruments, as long as it wasn't made after 1975 (except for the Korg Poly/Mono synth that came out in 1982). Basically take matters in to their own hands.

If many people think just how original Änglagård are hadn't tried hearing albums like CATHEDRALl's "Stained Glass Stories", or side two of SFF's "Symphonic Pictures". In fact the opening cut, "Jordröck" sounds a like like side two of the already mentioned SFF album, but with plenty of HACKETTt-like guitars, and some really nice, gently, pastoral passages with that Nordic feel. The rest of the album is of the same high quality, unbelievable complex music from musicians who obviously play like they were ten years older than they really were. There are the occasional vocals in Swedish, but are only brief. There's enough Mellotron and Hammond organ to make any '70s prog fan happy. And in fact, the traditional '70s prog fan not happy with the neo-prog scene, and not happy with digital equipment more than welcomed ÄNGLAGARD with open arms, even from people who obviously don't bother with most albums released after 1977 or 1978. I can see how this band set the prog world by storm.

It might be hard to believe that this album was actually availble on LP as well as CD at the time. The LP, released on the long defunct Colours label out of Norway was beautifully packaged complete with lyric booklet which has lyrics to all the songs, as well as photos of band members, various other photos, and what band member played what (in Swedish - in which they also included an insert in English which described the history of the band up to that point, and the band members and the instruments they played).

No doubt about it, "Hybris" is definately one of the best '90s prog albums.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Never heard of it...they don't sing in something weird, like Swedish or anything do they?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Absolutely fantastic, ten-out-of-ten album. I'll never forget hearing it for the first time on a cassette someone sent me in 1993 (with "Atavism Of Twilight" on the other side). It was the most dramatic, jaw-dropping prog I'd heard since my first tastes of Crimson and VDGG years earlier - but it was also quite beautiful and symphonic. I was absolutely thrilled with it, and I still adore it to this day (bought it immediately after hearing it, and the Mellotronen reissue since then... I believe both from Greg Walker? Can't remember now). I also love albums #2 and #3! I even sought out bootlegs and demos over the years (there aren't many, but what's available is great). This album also led to me branching out into more unfamiliar international musical territory, a practice which continues today. One of my favourite areas of my music shelves is where you'll find Änglagård, along with all of their contemporaries from that early 90's "Prog resurgence" period, and latter-day bands carrying on the tradition. Love it, love it, love it.

In short, this is some of my absolute favourite music ever recorded.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Was stunned when I first heard it, wonderful album, terrific mix of symphonic and angular without sycophantic nodding to the 70's.

Best of all-time? It's in my top 25. In the top 5 of the 90's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A "modern" symph-progressive bonafide classic if there ever was one. Although I came to enjoy Epilog even more (as well as the latest one) on purely musical terms, the micro-cultural revelation of Hybris was imminent on release - as if the initiated listener felt part of something very, very special. Obviously for us here in Scandinavia we had to some extent already had this sort of experience with Thule's Natt and the debut Landberk, but Änglagård really whipped it out big time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

well, guess I really need to hear this one!

Such a strong album. A strong band. Live too. It's a bit of an acquired taste for me though... I need to be in the right place mentally to spin it.

IMO one of the best albums of the 90's. By far the best album they have ever made.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's O.K.

Okay, I love it too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

One of the best 90s prog albums. Cover matches our site really nicely too!

I got it on vinyl upon release. Together with the debuts by Thule, Anekdoten and Landberk, this album reinforced my hopes for progressive rock. A classic of the genre!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I love this one, but they really got it going on Epilog! This is the band that really won me over at NEARfest and made me think, "Wow, there really is something to modern prog bands..."

Absolute classic!

Top 5 of the 90's for sure.

I got to hear them rehearse for the first Prog Fest in a rehearsal studio in Burbank. It was a permanent brain altering experience.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

'92 that where difficult times to get your hands on prog releases like this one. I didn't have internet back then and none of my usual prog dealers carried this one. There where some rave reviews about this one, but not even contacting the reviewers helped a bit (most of them reacted like you had to be in some sort of sect to be privileged to the knowledge
    where to get it).

So I had to wait about ten years to lay my hands on it, but it was worth the wait (although I like the two other albums a bit more).

As Thule where mentioned: I wrote a review of their debut album for a german prog site. Shortly after that I got an email from their german drummer (he's doing their web site now) who was very surprised that someone outside of Norway even heared about them.

I bought it at NEARfest 2003 along with Epilog.

For what it is, Hybris is great.

I would say the best Nordic symph prog twofer ever!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    '92 that where difficult times to get your hands on prog releases like this one. I didn't have internet back then and
    none of my usual prog dealers carried this one. There where some rave reviews about this one, but not even contacting
    the reviewers helped a bit (most of them reacted like you had to be in some sort of sect to be privileged to the knowledge
    where to get it).
    Yes, the early days of the internet really (not counting old 80s BBS modem systems etc.)... I loved those early digest groups like Paperlate, Notes From The Edge, The National Midnight Star, Freaks... what was the Gentle Giant one again? Kevin Gilbert was on there... anyway, like I mentioned earlier, Hybris was sent to me in 1993 as part of a tape trade from someone in California if memory serves. We used to do a lot of live boot tape trading etc... looooonnng before some of those shows were cleaned up ('remastered') and easily obtained via assorted download methods. The idea of transferring that amount of data back then was practically unheard of. Besides, what if someone needed to use the phone?

I'm pretty sure Greg Walker was selling his music via a catalogue in those days, I can't quite remember. But I did order Hybris as soon as I could. It was only about a year later that Epilog came out and then the live album (along with boot cassettes of them on their U.S. tour, where they often played "The Musical Box" with a wildly out-of-tune mellotron). And then - silence - for about eighteen years until wonderful album #3.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I got this back in 92 or 93 from Ken from his mail order catalog. It's definitely among my favorites from the 90s and remains my favorite Anglagard album.

The only part of it I don't like as much are the vocals, but they don't spoil the party. Musically I think this is Anglagard's most exciting record. Epilog is possibly more mature and original compositionally, but this Hybris just rocks and captures the exuberance of the classic 70s material in a way few albums since that time have, to my ears. Haven't spun it in ages, so I'll dig it out soon.

Bill

Mmm. Well I guess I don't need to add anything to what has already been said. I know many disagree, but I actually enjoy the newest offering just as well.

in mid-92 or early 93, I was looking at my library system's book catalogues, and basing my research criterias on number of compositions, list of instrument played... date of release ... and eventually record label >> as soon as I read "mellotronen", it was reserved, and when it arrived the following week, I had a stroke after the first two minutes of play... Can't say it was a fluke, but it was an accidental find

I soon discovered Anekdoten and Landberk...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    It only takes one quick glance at the cover to say, without words, volumes on this release. Simply put....a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

One of the great albums of all time? Only you can decide...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    As Thule where mentioned: I wrote a review of their debut album for a german prog site. Shortly after that I got an email from their german drummer (he's doing their web site now) who was very surprised that someone outside of Norway even heared about them.
    IIRC, he only contributed to their very first album, Ultima Thule - which appeared in 1987 when absolutely *no one* in our Nordic lands were doing such stuff. This was also the release which for a short time got them mixed up with a certain political subculture expecting them to be something completely else (and eventually mistaking them for the Swedish far-right oi group Ultima Thule). Natt (1990) is a confirmed classic with underground rock circuits in Norway, to the extent that it even shows on more or less official "best of" lists with the critics' and co-musicians' vote. The band originates from Honningsvåg, a remote fishing village situated not far from the North Cape. To me personally, this is every bit as important as anything Änglagård did - although I love the latter.

And I thought Viljans Öga was a tremendous release.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    This is way overrated IMHO. It sounds like a compilation of "money shots" from various old school prog albums without either the originality or thrill of discovery that makes the old stuff so good or the strong songwriting that carries it. I doubt it would get so much love if it didn't have a Mellotron on it and weren't so self consciously retro.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 08-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Rated number 12 on PA and number 6 on Gnosis. In both cases it's the highest rated post seventies album.
    And it's hard for me to disagree about it being the best post-seventies album i've heard. Yup it's all a matter of taste but this is an incredible album.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I remember hearing about this and how it was the resurgence of progressive rock. I got a copy of it off someone online back about 95 and the first track was great, then it started losing me with each passing moment. I've tried numerous times over to love this album, but the best I can say is that I like it. It's definitely not a bad album, but to me it's not one of the best since the classic 70's. I tried their second one also I liked it even less. And to me the vocals are horrid. No vocals on the second couldn't save it though.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Still my favorite from the band: a monster release. It is, as they say, the true quill.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.