Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you download from Youtube?

Banned

Can you download from Youtube?

How easy is it to download music from youtube? I googled and found lots of info about how to do it. Is that something any of you do?

I see all of the Flash CDs have recently been posted there (along with tons of others) in their entirety without permission.

Banned
    So, do you download from youtube, Azol? Is this a common practice?

The soundquality is generally not very good, and the files tends to be quite big too (you can convert them so you get rid of the video, but still...).
    I think that people who 'steal' their music from the tube, either doesnt care, or its the last option to get a a particular song/tune, because you cant find it elsewhere.

YouTube offers tons of tutorial videos, which I use extensively (learning to play banjo btw )
    In all other cases I prefer physical product anyway.

I thought you were asking for any tool fit for the purpose.

P.S. This thread is a good candidate for offtopic board.
    Last edited by Azol; 08-12-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynoland View Post
    How easy is it to download music from youtube? I googled and found lots of info about how to do it. Is that something any of you do?
    It's easy enough to do. There are browser plug-ins and other software tools that allow one to download as video and convert the audio to MP3, etc. I've used it as a tool at times in my line of work where we've had to use/re-use pieces of content for video production or commercial and the client doesn't have the appropriate content elsewhere. It's gotten better for video as well, because you can actually download and convert HD video (if it was uploaded in HD).

I think it's probably more of a hassle than anything. I think someone who wanted to download something could find it somewhere other than YouTube.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

You can but your web-fu must be strong

You can record audio from Youtube using Audacity. I've tried it but the sound quality is poor. It's kind of like when we used to hold up a condensor mic from a boombox up next to the radio to record the song. I've only done it once and it was because I just wanted to hear the song in my car. After I was done with it I deleted it.

I've downloaded a lot from YouTube, mostly guitar instruction videos and some concerts that just aren't available anywhere else. YTD Downloader does the trick and the RealPlayer video download works but it's best on Firefox, not Chrome. Yeah, you are getting a huge file but given the memory on most computers these days it's a drop in the bucket. Unless you are downloading onto an iPad. Then you're hosed.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's easy enough to do. There are browser plug-ins and other software tools that allow one to download as video and convert the audio to MP3, etc. I've used it as a tool at times in my line of work where we've had to use/re-use pieces of content for video production or commercial and the client doesn't have the appropriate content elsewhere. It's gotten better for video as well, because you can actually download and convert HD video (if it was uploaded in HD).

I think it's probably more of a hassle than anything. I think someone who wanted to download something could find it somewhere other than YouTube.

There's an awful lot of rare music on Youtube that you won't find anywhere else-- Say, the Charlie Drake single "You Never Know" (produced by Peter Gabriel, with Fripp, Sandy Denny etc....) was uploaded recently and I used one of those online tools to mp3 it. Wouldn't use this for any in-print music, but I sure wouldn't want to pay $50 for that single.

sure!
    why not?
    lots of rare stuff
    as bRETT say, you won´t find anywhere else
    no problem with that
    and I only talk about videos where there is visuals
    music I buy and prefer a physical product

I found a free YouTube downloader on the net and installed it. I only have to cut and paste the URL address for the YouTube video and it will download it in any of an assortment of file types. I've used a few times very successfully, not so much for music but for live video of a band. But, after you install it run the Adaware or SpyBot or whatever adware/malware program you use because anything free on the Internet comes with cookies, you know what I mean?

The answer is "Yes, it can be done" - but knowing that this practice falls under piracy and copyright infringement laws, posting a guide or instruction here on how to do it is a violation of this messageboard's Terms Of Service (Article 3)....just sayin'

It would be great if I could download on iPad for later playback when I'm offline. Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    I found a free YouTube downloader on the net and installed it. I only have to cut and paste the URL address for the YouTube video and it will download it in any of an assortment of file types. I've used a few times very successfully, not so much for music but for live video of a band. But, after you install it run the Adaware or SpyBot or whatever adware/malware program you use because anything free on the Internet comes with cookies, you know what I mean?
    Looks like Youtube Downloader HD. It's free, safe, and easy to use.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    The answer is "Yes, it can be done" - but knowing that this practice falls under piracy and copyright infringement laws, posting a guide or instruction here on how to do it is a violation of this messageboard's Terms Of Service (Article 3)....just sayin'
    This was my reason for asking! I genuinely wasn't sure about how or if it's done, or the quality, but it's amazing to me how people rationalize stealing and are absolutely blatant about it. This is a sorry state of affairs. And anyone who grabs music online for free that is for sale is STEALING. I'm glad to hear PE's policy is that this should NOT be done and won't allow participation in it. Their position on this should serve as a clarification and warning on this.

The irony of course is that 50% (or more, who knows) of everything on Youtube is infringing copyright already. It's not like, oh, Yes, authorized those couple hundred videos of themselves that are posted. Of course, most bands like us don't worry about it because it all tends to be good advertising but that doesn't make it actually legal.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The irony of course is that 50% (or more, who knows) of everything on Youtube is infringing copyright already. It's not like, oh, Yes, authorized those couple hundred videos of themselves that are posted. Of course, most bands like us don't worry about it because it all tends to be good advertising but that doesn't make it actually legal.
    Not getting the logic: If a person knows that its illegal so that justifies that person to get a copy?

The copyright and infringement laws aren't just for the artist - but the uploader as well. That is their property. If they are uploading an illegal copy of something, that doesn't mean anybody should just go grab it. Thats for Youtube to deal with (and, yes, they do try and catch these). YT has a strict policy on copyright infringement and it does get enforced.

Still, what I said about this messageboard's TOS is still true (link at bottom) and im actually surprised why this thread hasn't been locked yet

You can record anything that goes through your sound card.

Not getting the logic: If a person knows that its illegal so that justifies that person to get a copy?
    No, of course not I'm merely pointing out that a lt of people watching things on Youtube don't stop to think that it just being there is often not legal, regardless of if they then download it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticWalden View Post
    It would be great if I could download on iPad for later playback when I'm offline. Possible?
    Trouble is that Apple doesn't support flash video.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Still, what I said about this messageboard's TOS is still true (link at bottom) and im actually surprised why this thread hasn't been locked yet
    Article 3 wasn't really intended for this type of discussion. The OP was not condoning or wanting to know how to do it, just asking how it can be done. It was really intended for those who may come to the forum to look to trade boots, CD-Rs, etc.

But I'll close the thread if it makes you sleep better at night.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Article 3 wasn't really intended for this type of discussion. The OP was not condoning or wanting to know how to do it, just asking how it can be done. It was really intended for those who may come to the forum to look to trade boots, CD-Rs, etc.

The OP's question wouldn't be the violation - some of the responses would be (and are, as they are instructions how to obtain media without the uploader's consent and that may contain copyrighted material).

Smrtaxx ... I personally do not approve of this type of thread but its continued existence will in no way affect how i sleep

Banned
    ...what I said about this messageboard's TOS is still true (link at bottom) and im actually surprised why this thread hasn't been locked yet
    Can I change the title? Perhaps it should be, "Why do people download from Youtube?" It shouldn't be locked because the point of the thread was to find out if the members here know this is going on and approve of it. I'm obviously against it! It's very revealing to see how nonchalant people are about stealing in this way, and helping others do it, too. My purpose is to ask people to think more deeply about it and POLICE themselves—to consider the consequences that are already obvious with the shabby state of music today. I've told friends No who have asked me for a copy or offered to copy one for me. This wouldn't be hard to stop, if people were aware and ethical.

P.S. As for taking down the thread, perhaps you can take down the posts that tell us how to do it? But they are the examples of how widespread and nonchalant people are about this. That's what I want to call into question with this thread.
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 08-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynoland View Post

Can I change the title? Perhaps it should be, "Why do people download from Youtube?" It shouldn't be locked because the point of the thread was to find out if the members here know this is going on and approve of it. I'm obviously against it! It's very revealing to see how nonchalant people are about stealing in this way, and helping others do it, too. My purpose is to ask people to think more deeply about it and POLICE themselves—to consider the consequences that are already obvious with the shabby state of music today. I've told friends No who have asked me for a copy or offered to copy one for me. This wouldn't be hard to stop, if people were aware and ethical.

P.S. As for taking down the thread, perhaps you can take down the posts that tell us how to do it? But they are the examples of how widespread and nonchalant people are about this. That's what I want to call into question with this thread.
    I have heard the OOP arguments before: I get that, but it still doesn't justify it unless enough time has elapsed where certain things fall into, and are deemed, Public Domain. This covers the media itself however Public Domain still doesn't cover getting a copy of something from the uploader without consent. The bottomline is: if videos were meant to be downloaded from YouTube, there would be an option for the uploader to specify it with a "Download This Video" link (I believe YouTube originally had this in its first year but was removed for copyright purposes)

Banned
    ... if videos were meant to be downloaded from YouTube, there would be an option for the uploader to specify it with a "Download This Video" link (I believe YouTube originally had this in its first year but was removed for copyright purposes)
    Well, that's good to know. I've also just notified the labels involved and expect some of the videos I've found will be taken down soon. With vigilance (which is always required where illegal activity is happening) and a little more thoughtfulness on the part of consumers, this can be solved for the benefit of all music lovers.
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 08-13-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: changed print size