Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I asked Damon today.

NO physical release.
    Can you please communicate to him that there are several people on this planet that consider him to be a fuckin genius and just love him?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Can you please communicate to him that there are several people on this planet that consider him to be a fuckin genius and just love him?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah! I am one of those. And we want physical release!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I bought the digi-file and I am 2 minutes into The Old Man and the Table Saw. Divine rendition! I love this band.
    I haven't heard the new live one yet but I dig that tune BIGLY.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I asked Damon today.

NO physical release.
    OK, thanks for the info. I have just bought and started a lossless download, which I'll burn to disc. If they release it on CD later on, I'll happily fetch it too.

1. What anyone wants or doesn’t want in terms of a format doesn’t mean dick.

2. He is basing this decision strictly on sales or lack thereof. Therefore, even though Wayside Music would love to sell it to you, I (and I think you) should respect this decision which I KNOW Damon didn’t take lightly.

3. There is no future CD release planned and I would be shocked if a CD materializes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I haven't heard the new live one yet but I dig that tune BIGLY.
    Yes, one of my faves too. But just listen to this performance https://jackotheclock.bandcamp.com/t...he-table-saw-2

Still sad that there is no physical release but I bought today the digital version. And it is glorious! Brilliant fresh arrangements of the already great material. And it sounds really good also. Jack O' The Clock remains my the favourite "new" band.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Honestly, the recording was recorded digitally, mixed digitally and mastered digitally ... pressing it to CD would actually compress it more. While I understand the need to 'own' an object, I have no problem with the move to digital. It probably sounds better this way.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shedsoundsrecordings View Post
    Honestly, the recording was recorded digitally, mixed digitally and mastered digitally ... pressing it to CD would actually compress it more. While I understand the need to 'own' an object, I have no problem with the move to digital. It probably sounds better this way.
    But it sounds warmer on CD! (That's right isn't it?)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I know you're joking around, but:
    a 16 bit / 44.1 file should sound the same whether or not it's been put on to a physical item first. It's still a 16 bit / 44.1 file. One lives on a physical medium (a CD) and one lives on a different physical medium (a hard drive), but it's the same thing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I like to rub on my skin CDs and - particularly - vinyl so I can really appreciate music. It turns me on.

That's right (on my set-up). I don't have any dedicated playback system for files/streaming, so in order to enjoy music in decent sound I need to transfer the files to CD (which is pretty straight-forward if the bit-rate is the same).

This new Jack O' The Clock has been my first download purchase EVER (and the only own burnt CDRs I have had so far were my own DVD rips), so I am glad to kick off this new distribution channel with such a superb release. I'll keep sticking to CDs whenever possible, but there are already a few dozens of digital-only titles on my want-list, so I think I'll get back to download->burn procedure soon.

Now back to the live album... I dig a lot a jammy/loose vibe permeating this performance; the gamut of styles they incorporate into music melds surprisingly smoothly into an unhasty stream of various themes and arrangements. It's quite a feat to create such an intricate multi-layered music and make it communicative, emotional and (deceivingly) simple.

If we lived in the best of the possible worlds, it should be their long-deserved breakthrough. Consider me converted.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-06-2019 at 07:12 AM.

It's a terrific album with great versions well recorded.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's a terrific album with great versions well recorded.
    When I am done 'digesting' the latest two Cuneiform releases I will turn my attention to this one.

I know you're joking around, but:
    a 16 bit / 44.1 file should sound the same whether or not it's been put on to a physical item first. It's still a 16 bit / 44.1 file. One lives on a physical medium (a CD) and one lives on a different physical medium (a hard drive), but it's the same thing.
    It depends, I encode my stuff at 48.1 khz, so it does end up getting compressed when it reaches CD. Most people actually say its 'pleasant.'

Quote Originally Posted by shedsoundsrecordings View Post
    It depends, I encode my stuff at 48.1 khz, so it does end up getting compressed when it reaches CD. Most people actually say its 'pleasant.'
    Ian

I said the following: "a 16 bit / 44.1 file should sound the same whether or not it's been put on to a physical item first"

This is not something you dispute, is it?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Witness surpasses every conceivable expectation. I am not a fan of live albums in general and I wasn't that much excited with this release in the first place. The sound and versions of the songs are simply incredible. It's like watching paintings you really like, but suddenly the colors are more vivid, almost alive, like breaking out from the canvas. I have no other way to describe the experience of listening to the album. I am a bit frustrated from the poor recognition these guys get, but also feel extremely lucky that I have been able to receive this music against very unfavorable conditions. This is a band that I would easily put right next to all your fucking Jethro Tulls, Gentle Giants and Art Bears of days long past. On completely equal terms.

Witness surpasses every conceivable expectation. I am not a fan of live albums in general
    I am a huge fan of live recordings and have a ton of them, and this one sits easily in my Top 5 of the live albums from this decade, alongside Matana Roberts' Gens De Couleur Libres, Fire! Orchestra's Exit!, Chamber 4's debut and Motorpsycho's En Konsert For Folk Flest.

If they have more live stuff, they should put it out. And if they release this album on CD, I'll buy myself a few copies to hand them to the people and let them hear it themselves!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-11-2019 at 02:49 AM.

I'm not typically a huge live albums guy, but I'm loving this so far. It's similar enough to the material on the albums to give me a lot to latch on to and for it to feel "tight", but different enough to give me a reason to keep coming back. It sounds excellent as well. I absolutely love this band, and it's astounding to me what they're able to achieve with such a small (albeit passionate) following.

^ One can only assume that it has something to do with Waitkus' strong academic merit in music, warranting not merely some level of institutional support but also a reputation not to take lightly as far as craft itself is concerned.

But sure, there's that sense of utter refinement in much of their music which comes across as a hellish endeavour to reproduce on stage. Eternal kudos to them, and too bad about that alleged "prog scene" who won't know - and probably can't know.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Well, perhaps that may be due to some of the stylistic ingredients thrown by JotC into the mix, which may be unpalatable for regular prog fans. At times there's a pretty strong (alt-)country vibe surfacing in their music, but how many proggers (would) listen to the stuff like Lambchop or Wilco?

Based on Internet forums I frequent I have a feeling that the band might be better off trying to reach alt/indie-rock crowd listening to Six Organs of Admittance, Andrew Bird or Animal Collective than trying to break to the prog audience. A few months ago I went to see PoiL playing at a punk venue and I don't expect any of the bands listed below ever get invited to a local prog fest "proper".

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/09/2...osition-bands/

A pity, but what can you do?
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-11-2019 at 09:22 AM.

I think you're being a little harsh but I broadly agree with the comment, JoTC have played ProgDay & SeaProg and were received very well at both events though both festivals have a history of signing 'edgy/avant' bands, more so than the ROSfest/Progstock type festivals. With the end of RIO, Freakshow is now one of the few festivals catering for the avant audience with a full schedule. I'll be looking around at all the festivals for potential alternatives to RIO.
    Ian

I'll be looking around at all the festivals for potential alternatives to RIO.
    I think the likliehood is that that any 'alternatives' would be focussed strictly on the younger bands (the Poils and the Schnellertollermeiers of the world) and not have any legacy bands or musicians or projects, due to (a) not understanding the connection and (b) not wanting to deal with the expense.

And more likely to be sympathetic bookings of 3 bands at one venue in one night. heck, look at the show you just saw with Dysrhythmia and Behold as more likely to be the 'potential alternative'. Throw Zevious on the bill and suddenly it's exactly what I am describing, except it isn't a multi-day event and it won't draw in an international audience. It's strictly for local consumption.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I think the likliehood is that that any 'alternatives' would be focussed strictly on the younger bands (the Poils and the Schnellertollermeiers of the world) and not have any legacy bands or musicians or projects, due to (a) not understanding the connection and (b) not wanting to deal with the expense.

And more likely to be sympathetic bookings of 3 bands at one venue in one night. heck, look at the show you just saw with Dysrhythmia and Behold as more likely to be the 'potential alternative'. Throw Zevious on the bill and suddenly it's exactly what I am describing, except it isn't a multi-day event and it won't draw in an international audience. It's strictly for local consumption.
    I agree, and I'd be VERY happy to attend those types of events. There was an event in London a couple of years ago that me & Phlakaton attended with Knifeworld, Spratleys Japs, Admiral Hard & Guapo played that was superb. That old Cardiacs group seem to put on annual events with the younger bands as the focus (Thumpermonkey, Prescott, Trojan Horse, etc). I've also been to London to see North Sea Radio Orchestra and William Drake.

I doubt I'm going to see any of the legacy bands unless they are on individual tours (ala Magma) and are coming through.

I'm going to pick and choose my spots over the next few years rather than ink in the same 3 or 4 festivals every year.
    Ian