Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

I've recently featured the new Jack O' The Clock, centered around the talents of one Damon Waitkus, at Progstreaming, and it's a band I seldom hear mentioned on this board. It's also a band that should be picked up, if possible, by either Cuneiform or AltrOck.

"All My Friends" is nothing short of amazing. As to not be labelled doing self-promotion, here's the album on their Bandcamp:

http://jackotheclock.bandcamp.com/album/all-my-friends

Here's a Youtube of one of their two other albums, soon to be in my possession:

Great, great song. A band to be discovered by some here. Please spend five minutes investigate this as you've now clicked on this thread anyway. What's there to lose?

I was blown away by All My Friends when i first bought it.The vocals didn't do much for me, but the instrumentation, the arrangements, the songcraft(instrumental) was what was striking, to me.Truly awe inspiring textures,outstanding in (almost) every way.

I've cooled out on this quite a bit from my initial enthusiasm, but still,well worth checking out.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Will have to check them out further, pecuilar stuff.

Are they American? The track has some country, american folk moments...

that First of the Year was fabulous, thanks for sharing it. i need to check these guys out further

very nice, indeed
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Sort of has an RIO feel to it. Good stuff.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

we've (Wayside Music) been selling them for a few years now. Very good stuff.

Yes, they are American.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Believe it or not, at times i get(got) a Henry Cow-ish vibe to some of the music on this cd.Part of its charm,imo.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Right!

One of my five-or-so favourite current bands; just ordered their latest release from uncle Steve - their previous one, How Are We Doing and Who Will Tell Us?, was nothing short of a revelation. These are truly "same, same but different" - melding folky song-form and an avant-garde aesthetic into something completely fresh as well as wholly accessible! Great, great band!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I was blown away by All My Friends when i first bought it.The vocals didn't do much for me, but the instrumentation, the arrangements, the songcraft(instrumental) was what was striking, to me.Truly awe inspiring textures,outstanding in (almost) every way.
    Well put. I actually really quite like Damon Waitkus' vocals. I think he sounds like just an average singer/songwriter, with a really good voice, which makes the music quite accessible.

I listend on progstreaming last week and very impressive indeed! Dunno if its really 'avantprog'. It is more song-based material with avant-gardish arrangments.

I will probably get their albums at some point.

Well hello All My Friends Are Dead which has just shown up at my door thanks to (of all places) Barnes and Noble and a student's gift card Xmas gift. So this is awesome music, right? I've got the most recent one, too but think this older release might be a tad better.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Very, very fine stuff indeed. Their three most recent have stayed in my six-slot car stereo since Progday - and I can't think of anything else, ever, that's been there that long.

I prefer Night Loops to All My Friends but both are excellent. I love the samples they use on Night Loops, it's headphone music all the way, such a pleasure. I believe it ended up as my third favourite for 2014 behind Bent Knee and Lunatic Soul.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Believe it or not, at times i get(got) a Henry Cow-ish vibe to some of the music on this cd.Part of its charm,imo.
    Not a surprise. The band got together at Mills College, where Damon Waitkus was a composition pupil of Fred Frith - I think all of them might have been.

Banned
    ... and founder Damon Waitkus has a very nicely crafted album before Jack O' the Clock that should appeal to RIO/Avant fans, well worth the $6 download or $9 CDR:

https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/damonwaitkus

I had never heard a note of JOTC before Progday last year.

I have heard many, many JOTC notes since.

Iirc, they're from the Bay area. Brilliant band!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful band, thought they were great at ProgDay though I was already a fan. Pretty much autobuy these days.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Love these guys. Insanely creative.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. I like it.

https://www.facebook.com/JackOTheClock/

Our new album, Repetitions of the Old City (I) drops NOVEMBER 1ST! Over an hour of new material by the original quintet plus guest appearances by FRED FRITH, DARREN JOHNSTON, JON RUSSELL, ANDY STRAIN, and SARAH HOWE WHITLEY. Look for a preview in the coming days!

Can't wait!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sweeeeet!!!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hooray! When can I order?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I prefer Night Loops to All My Friends but both are excellent. (...)
    +1

Banned
    In March 2013, I was suggested Jack O' The Clock for ProgArchives' "avant-prog" section, and after eight months, because the PA' sublime Avant Team were rejected the band, the Management pushed Jack O' The Clock in their "prog folk" section that was originally created for the bands like Jethro Tull and such. It certainly wasn't easy acceptance by the Management; thus it was a discussion of whether Jack O' The Clock belonging to our beloved genre or not, and that historic discussion you can read here.
    Sometime later, I made an interview with the band, and you can read it here
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-11-2016 at 03:37 AM.

Autobuy!!!