Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Oh boy! Done and done.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought via bandcamp. I like it a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Downloaded from bandcamp, and listened last night. The arrangements and compositions are top notch, and I am getting used to the vocals. Wonderful stuff.

neil

Goddamn but this is a good album.

I've been waiting to hear this thing - hopefully tomorrow night with headphones, scotch, and Le Pen (not the fascist lady - the new vape pen )

Damon Waitkus of Jack o the Clock took about an hour out of his day yesterday to sit down with me for an upcoming episode of Deep Cuts. Here's a preview of coming attractions to whet your appetite:

Damon Waitkus of Jack o the Clock talks Dulcimers, Bluegrass, Eastern Music and Jethro Tull.

If there ever is an album that deserves to be called a 'grower' then this is it. I liked the 'sound' of it immediately but the actual songs took a while. Now it is firmly in my top 3 of 2016 and the band mooved up to my top 5 of favorite current bands.

I sure hope they ever get to tour in Europe.

This is such a great record. I am really excited about it. They seem to take a lot of ideas from recent American jazzgrass and acoustic rock bands such as The Punch Brothers, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Sam Bush and Mike Marshall's recent recordings, and others. The acoustic instrumentation is really what sets it apart. The use of mandolin, hammered dulcimer and lots of percussion parts adds such a depth to the songs. But even beyond the amazing musicianship, I would put this album as more interesting than any of those references due to the songwriting, how they weave into the song the feeling and excitement of the stories they tell.

Thanks to Wayside for carrying them.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

They're playing a show in about a week - Bottom of the Hill (SF), on the 24th. I can't make it (too far), but I hope some people here can.

They're going on a short Pacific Northwest tour in the next few days:

6/2/17 - 8PM
    Rocketboy Arts House Concert
    (open to public, all ages)
    840 West Third Avenue,
    Eugene, OR
    w/ Mood Area 52

6/3/17 - 8PM
    Ash Street Saloon
    225 SW Ash St,
    Portland OR
    w/Mercury Tree, Volcanic Pinnacles

6/4/17 - ALL DAY, (JotC goes on last)
    SeaProg Festival
    Columbia City Theater
    4916 Rainier Ave. S.
    Seattle, WA, 98118
    http://seaprogfest.org/

6/17/17 - 9PM
    Starry Plough,
    3101 Shattuck Avenue,
    Berkeley, CA
    w/Atomic Ape, Hedersleben

That latest record of theirs is only getting stronger on each listen. One of the truly great bands working today.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That latest record of theirs is only getting stronger on each listen. One of the truly great bands working today.
    I spun it for the first time in a while this past weekend. It is aging very nicely.

Unrelatedly (for the most part) but it forms a sort of trilogy in my head with the last Knifeworld album and Gong's Rejoice! I'm Dead! (I think I bought them at about the same time, so they're kinda fused together in my memory.)

Their latest is by far my favorite, and All My Friends is one of my very favorite albums by anybody. LOVE this band.

Saw on Facebook today that the last of the overdubs for Repetitions II have completed.

Really excited to hear it. This band keeps getting better and better with each release. Repetitions I is pretty fantastic and easily my favorite. Glad I was able to see them at ProgDay a couple of years ago...since realistically they probably won't come back to this area in quite some time.

Hello Gang!.
    First time, didn't know them and a little bit late!,
    I enjoyed the clips and definitely have to explore more their music!.

Newbie question:
    Why is it call Jack O' The Clock?

Thanks!
    Pura vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 09-19-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Newbie question:
    Why is it call Jack O' The Clock?
    That's the name for little statues used to strike the bell in some striking clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That's the name for little statues used to strike the bell in some striking clocks.
    Thanks Baribrotzer but also I was wondering why the band calls Jack O´The Clock or chose that name, anyone knows?.

Thanks!.

n.p.: All My Friends.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

What to Do in Our Neighborhood, Pt. 1
    1 view
    Published on Feb 8, 2017

(That's from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoV2RJeCcEU .)

It's skillful music. The link is to a catchier-than-average song; some others rely more on dramatic tricks which might have less staying power.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Would I ever learn about this band if it wasn't for you guys? Probably not. Thank you PE. This is like Neil Young jamming with Gentle Giant, I get a very strong GG vibe in the rythm section, for example 22 from Repetitions is very close to In A Glass House s/t.

But of course, so much more than this - it's music, divine music, the first 5 mins of Old Man is like angels landing on earth (and please, bassoon and violin? combined? I love this!)

^ Nah, haven't you heard? There's a video (unplayable, btw) which only has had 1 view (haw-haw!) even though it's catchier-than-average, while the rest may have less staying power - possibly due to relying more (too much?) on dramatic tricks.

I just learned this. Although the music as such is (at least moderately) skillful.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Repetitions Of The Old City was my the favourite album of the last year so I have high hopes for part two!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

If you ever wanted to get into Avant start here, Avantgarde of the highest order, with lots of Americana, but still balm to the ears.

Your entrance to the world beyond the Steven Wilson Unisound...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    But of course, so much more than this - it's music, divine music, the first 5 mins of Old Man is like angels landing on earth (and please, bassoon and violin? combined? I love this!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Nah, haven't you heard? There's a video (unplayable, btw) which only has had 1 view (haw-haw!) even though it's catchier-than-average, while the rest may have less staying power - possibly due to relying more (too much?) on dramatic tricks. I just learned this. Although the music as such is (at least moderately) skillful.
    I'm with Zappathustra in really enjoying the instrumental parts (though maybe not quite to the same extreme). But I think that after half-a-dozen plays I would find myself skipping even the second half of "The Old Man and the Table Saw". Or as Udi put it more bluntly:
    dunno the vocals put me off...
    Well, clearly some like the whole package.

SS, sorry you couldn't play the video, then it would have had two hits! But seriously, it had just been posted. Did that not occur to you?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Repetitions of the old city II is coming out june 1st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INVcgwSFTvg