Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

Damon's peculiar breathy tenor is a bit of an acquired taste. But stick with it - his songs and the band's playing are almost uniformly excellent. In a way, their music is a sort of originalist RIO of a sort that hasn't been heard in the US before: It falls remotely into the pigeonhole of pop and rock, but is based on combining traditional American folk music with Twentieth-Century classical composition, often in unexpected ways. One could say that it relates to Ives in the way that most American prog relates to Copland, and Thinking Plague relate to William Schuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    dunno the vocals put me off...
    weren't we just enthusiastically discussing Roger Chapman and/or Peter Hammill?...

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Easily in my top 5 favorite acts of the modern era. I'm all over this!

So I've had the chance to hear this a couple of times. It's amazing. More of a live feel than the previous records. The pieces are incredible, the playing is wonderful. Damon and the band are in fine form. Don't miss it! If you saw them at ProgDay, 80% of that material is here.

i seem to remember him sounding vaguely like Ian Anderson..? i need to re-listen but i did enjoy what i heard from this band.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i seem to remember him sounding vaguely like Ian Anderson..? i need to re-listen but i did enjoy what i heard from this band.
    Somewhere between Ian Anderson and Jon Anderson - the timbre of the former, and the register of the latter.

^That's actually a great description there, John! Never thought of it that way before, but you're spot on here.

Great to see them appear with yet another record.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Preview is up! First of two albums.

Thanks for this intro! Listening to how are we doing and who will tell us right now...loving it!
    The vocals remind me of someone that I can't quite place, the point being, not quite Art Garfunkel but certainly not the weirdest or worst Ive heard

Here's a written preview of the new album, from an e-mail the band just sent out:

Jack O' The Clock's new album, Repetitions of the Old City I, will be available November 1st! We are truly, exceptionally proud of this one and eager for you to hear it.

Here's a preview:

This volume includes over an hour of music recorded over the course of the past two years by the original quintet, with guest appearances by:

FRED FRITH - electric guitar
    DARREN JOHNSTON - trumpet
    JONATHAN RUSSELL - clarinet
    ANDREW STRAIN - trombone
    SARAH WHITLEY - electronics

Jack O' The Clock:

Damon Waitkus - voice, guitar, hammer dulcimer, etc.
    Emily Packard - violins
    Kate McLoughlin - bassoon, voice, flute
    Jason Hoopes - basses
    Jordan Glenn - drums, percussion, mallets, accordion

REPETITIONS OF THE OLD CITY is not a double album but two separate, interrelated listening experiences, of which this is the first, representing a discrete period of time in the band’s history which has now come to a close. In October of 2014, we went into the studio with The Norman Conquest record the basic tracks for over an hour and a half of music. These are the songs that have formed the backbone of our live sets over the past six years or so. Since then, we’ve been refining the mixes, doing overdubs, and bringing in some wonderful guest musicians.

REPETITIONS will be our first release of original material in nearly three years. We are making a deliberate effort this time around to capture the intensity and immediacy of the live Jack O’ The Clock. This doesn’t mean there is absolutely no production, but there is a crisp, concise core and a unity to the sound that is true to all five of us and sounds more like the band than ever before. It took a few years and a lot of experimentation to find this sound, but we’ve learned how to put all the funny pieces together, how to make this unruly beast sing. This is our main sequence, our bright, rich, fully-cooked state. I can’t wait for you to hear this stuff.

^^^Awesome, looking forward to it!

This sounds very interesting.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The album is out there:

https://jackotheclock.bandcamp.com/a...the-old-city-i

Just bought it. Will listen on the way back home.

I've been listening to the new one on Bandcamp today - brilliant stuff. I really like this band, including the vocals.

Also available in CD form here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jackotheclock6

I haven't ordered it yet, but I will soon.

They've been doing this song for a couple of years already and it's one of my favourites from them, so I'm very happy to finally hear a studio recording of it:

First impression is very positive! The descision to record this in a more live setting works out really well. Compared to the previous album there is more emphasis on the playing with a more prominent role for the bassoon! yay! No senseless noodling; just a tight band playing together.

This will get many plays.

This is out, and it's brilliant! Listen to it and listen to it often.

CD ordered. Will enjoy listening to this through Google Play Music until it arrives.

Already have the download, snatched the CD too.

Listening now. What a great band.

I had a bit of this problem too, but am listening to the new one on bandcamp, and it is slowly winning me over. The songs have a great open, unhurried feel to them, and the 'acquired taste' vocals, are slowly starting to sink in. Very talented band, for sure.

neil

I just listening for the first time but... wow, this is really good stuff! I am probably going to like this more than their previous album.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 11-04-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.