Thread: Hasse Froberg and Musical Companion - any fans?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Hasse Froberg and Musical Companion - any fans?

I'm surprised to say I enjoy the two Hasse Froberg & Musical Companion more than all the other Flower Kings-followers (Agents Of Mercy, Karmakanic, Kaipa and The Flower Kings themselves). Though I always thought Hasse's voice wasn't suitable for a whole album, and though I'm a big fan of Roine Stolts soft John Wetton-like voice, I must admit being a big fan of these two albums by this enormous friendly Swedish guy.

Anyone else a fan?

I wish though they would stop making those ridiculous so-called 'cool' photographs in the booklet! They are even worse than the Spock's Beard-photographs inside their booklets, and that's saying a lot.

But anyway, here's a good song:

And here's one that's even better (check the really cool long guitar-solo starting at around the 6:00 mark):

Only recently purchased their first CD,and was really impressed.Some of the tracks could easily fit on a FK album.Is there second release much the same? Agree about the awful photos of the band!

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Only recently purchased their first CD,and was really impressed.Some of the tracks could easily fit on a FK album.Is there second release much the same? Agree about the awful photos of the band!
    The second one is a tad less than the first, I think. Which would make this one brilliant, instead of almost a masterpiece, so to say. If you spin this first disc quite regular, you should order the second one with haste.

I agree these are solid releases that took many of us by surprise. Hasse has proven himself quite a gifted song writer! I like his mix of classic rock with prog elements and his band is really really good. I'm hoping future albums continue in this direction. The worst part of this band are their boring album covers. Perhaps a call to Ed Unitsky is needed.

Add me to their list of fans! Thanks to Rosfest I discovered them. The first CD really is close to a masterpiece -- the epics are incredible and the shorter pop/rock songs are top shelf, too. Lots of great rockers like "The Ultimate Thrill", what a sweet album this is! Surely not a bad track (or even close) on this album. The 2nd CD is along the same lines, though the songwriting doesn't move me quite as much...quite similar structure to the first album only a slight step down in quality of the songs. "Waves" is a gorgeous piece, though.

I will also say that live they kick it! Their show at Rosfest was spot on. The musicians in this band are mighty, and their guitarist is unbelievable.

They've just started recording their 3rd album, so I'm glad to see this band is continuing on. With them, Agents of Mercy, Karmakanic, and of course the Kings themselves, there's no shortage of great music coming from this family!

I still need to hear these, I can get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of projects coming out of the Flower Kings camp. I'll start with the samples, thanks for posting.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

These two albums are definitely quite solid efforts. The band was great live, too. Spun both CDs for a while and enjoyed them, but they haven't held up well for me. Its just not quite my cup o' tea. That said, Hasse puts forth some of his best vocal efforts ever (IMO) and the guitar playing is stellar.

Big fan here. I also thought they were fantastic at ROSfest.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I still need to hear these, I can get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of projects coming out of the Flower Kings camp. I'll start with the samples, thanks for posting.
    I think most of those project are mediocre. I was especially disappointed by the latest Karmakanic, and I'm not too fond of Sylvan's voice, so Agents Of Mercy is a no-go for me. Hasse Froberg though is a different beast.

That applies for Swedish band Magic Pie too. One of the many FK-influenced bands, but the only one of which their three albums are really, really good.

Hasse freakin' RAUWKS! His stage presence is total rock star and his voice is stellar. The Rosfest set was great. I think his voice carries a whole CD fine. The vocal mix in Flower Kings with Roine is very nice indeed.

Got to spend a lot of time talking to Hasse, Jonas and Roine at Terra Incognita and had a great time. All these guys were so casual and down to Earth (yes, even Roine!). What other genre of music do this many musicians mingle with the fans? Maybe Indie or Singer/Songwriters, but not much else.

And a nod to Magic Pie and Moon Safari guys also. Love them Scandinavians! Just don't try drinking with them....
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I've got "Powerplay" and like every track on it.....
    www.canvasproductions.net