https://nodensictus.bandcamp.com
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Thanks Spacefreak!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I am only familiar with the '90s-vintage Ozric, which it seems leaves me woefully out of date. To my ears that era (e.g., Erpsongs, Tantric Obstacles) sounded like the spacey kid brother of the magisterial Djam Karet -- very listenable, but not much more than that.

Is there an easy-to-understand demonstration that I was wrong? Or can I cling to my prejudice for a while more?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I am only familiar with the '90s-vintage Ozric, which it seems leaves me woefully out of date. To my ears that era (e.g., Erpsongs, Tantric Obstacles) sounded like the spacey kid brother of the magisterial Djam Karet -- very listenable, but not much more than that.

Is there an easy-to-understand demonstration that I was wrong? Or can I cling to my prejudice for a while more?
    Mmm......I don't really hear many similarities at all between Djam Karet and Ozrics. Two completely different bands to my ears. It took me a while to "get" Ozrics. The first album I bought was Jurassic Shift and it did nothing for me at the time. When they got booked for ProgDay 2009 I went back and really started exploring them and discovered I really liked most of what they did. Not sure if it was my personal tastes getting wider or I just started with the wrong album.

Truly love their music. It's so unique and superb -- there are no others like them.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Ozrix and the Dam Karrots both started in the late 80s
    they have parallel careers but bear no real similarities other than they both play instrumental styles of Prog music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Oh man, I LOVE Technicians of the Sacred. So much great music on those two discs.

Erpland is great as well. Has a very interesting sound for the time too. Those first two tracks hooked me in, and then I just had to own it.

I absolutely love the new Nodens Ictus release. As for their classic material, Jurassic Shift is my fave, followed by Erpland and Curious Corn. I should check out their 2015 release. People seem to dig it.

I only really know Technicians of the Sacred and have listened to some other material. I like what I hear, but I'm still on the fence.
    It doesn't fully grab me. Maybe I need to be in a special state of mind to get into this groove. This music tends to create a state of trance (and I like that), so I have to find the right time to listen to it.
    The other thing that troubles me is that I feel there's too much dynamic compression, and it doesn't do the music justice. The drums in particular sound thin and flat to my ears, and the whole thing doesn't groove and breathe like it could. Of course, it may be an artistic choice on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    I should check out their 2015 release. People seem to dig it.
    While not a bad album per se, it has the same deja vu feel like all Ozric works since 1997's Curious Corn. More over it suffers from two culpits: a) being too long and b) don't having considerable peaks in its flow.

But, this is the opinion of one that follows them chronologically from their cassette days onwards. If you randomly choose from their extensive discography, you can probably appreciate Technicians of the Sacred through a different listening frame.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thank you for the helpful post spacefreak!

I just got Vitamin Enhanced in the mail. Looking for some live bootlegs