Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ozric Tentacles thread

What was your very first? Mine,Live Underslunky. I was immediately hooked after getting that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...90295F5CF2B42B

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    My fave of all time is Become The Other(1995),yet it seems to get completely ignored in here for the likes of Erpland and Jurassic Shift.
    Completely? I hope not. It's top-tier material. Erpland is my one biggest fave, but BtO is definitely right up there (I don't mind the reggae ingredient, especially if it doesn't saturate the overall mix too heavily). They were really rejuvenated with the new additions just then and you can definitely hear it.

What was your very first?
    Waterfall Cities. Not quite the best, I see now, but it was a hell of an introductory jolt to me all the same.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    If you compare clips of the Pongmasters Ball dvd in 2002 to more recent footage, it's obvious that Brandi is only a competent bass player at best, with the rest of the band little more than backing musicians.
    She's not just competent - she's competent enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    True, but she's cheap!

Also...how can I put this politely?...I'd bang her till she bled out her ears.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    She's not just competent - she's competent enough!
    Also...how can I put this politely?...I'd bang her till she bled out her ears.
    That's just plain disrespectful mate....

^Sorry, she's easy on the eyes, and her playing seemed fine at ProgDay.

I thought the Yum Yum Tree album was great.

I saw O.T. in Sacramento in 2006 or 2007 at a small bar and it was the first time I saw them with Brandi,she was on Synth that night and Zia was still on bass then,but they were awesome. I finally ordered Paper Monkeys just the other day due to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IWxpl0TxQXA
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 04-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^Sorry, she's easy on the eyes, and her playing seemed fine at ProgDay.
    I agree Brandi is easy on the eyes plus she has a wonderful personality to match.
    Her musicianship and stage presence have helped the Wynn "family" continue to produce great stuff as well as put on ever improving live performances. Apology accepted...
    BTW, Ed is getting into great shape in the gym, so beware (just in case).

What was your very first? Mine,Live Underslunky. I was immediately hooked after getting that.
    My first was Strangeitude, still love that one. My favorite is Spice Doubt (incredible live performance)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    My first was Strangeitude, still love that one. My favorite is Spice Doubt (incredible live performance)
    Yep,and that was the Become The Other Tour.

IMHO,there's no such thing as a bad Ozric Tentacles album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I agree Brandi is easy on the eyes plus she has a wonderful personality to match.
    Her musicianship and stage presence have helped the Wynn "family" continue to produce great stuff as well as put on ever improving live performances. Apology accepted...
    BTW, Ed is getting into great shape in the gym, so beware (just in case).
    I understand why people may not like some of the lineup moves that have happened over the years with the band, but I don’t get why Brandi seems to get slammed so much. I have seen them live twice with her in the lineup and thought she did just fine both times. I also dealt with her from a business perspective when the band played ProgDay in 2009 and she seemed like a very nice, intelligent, competent person. My impression was that she was the main person in the band that kept things organized on the road, getting equipment set up, and getting people on stage, etc. She always had a smile on her face and had a general “hippie chick” vibe about her that was very pleasant. As a bass player I thought she did a nice job. Seeing the band outdoors, with no lightshow, was a totally different experience and I think it remains my favorite time seeing them.

Steve Sly

Sly has the right attitude, Brandi IS now a legitimate band member... she's one o' the guys!
    Before she played on stage, she was their manager and road manager, so it comes naturally for her to incorporate her organizational skills both on and off the road. Brandi has also become the spokesperson for the band, as she knows pretty much all there is to know about the Ozrics, their schedule, stage requirements and contract riders etc. It really IS a family affair now, so despite the heavy blows the Wynns were dealt last year... things are now looking REAL good on their horizon.
    Awareness of their music (& their very existence) is paramount for future successes of OT, so many thanks to y'all for the many great clips which appeared on this thread... just another reason why I began this thread in the first place... to help spread the good music & karma regarding this unique, yet hugely underated band.
    Their line-up may have changed over the years, but their musical roots remain intact. Some prefer the old line-ups (we have incredibly decent recordings of them all at least), some prefer the new Ozrics for different reasons (inc. Brandi), while some like their entire catalog... BUT, whichever your preferences... at least the Ozrics still exist, still composing and playing live...
    so right now, they need every PR break they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Sly has the right attitude, Brandi IS now a legitimate band member... she's one o' the guys!
    Before she played on stage, she was their manager and road manager, so it comes naturally for her to incorporate her organizational skills both on and off the road. Brandi has also become the spokesperson for the band, as she knows pretty much all there is to know about the Ozrics, their schedule, stage requirements and contract riders etc. It really IS a family affair now, so despite the heavy blows the Wynns were dealt last year... things are now looking REAL good on their horizon.
    Awareness of their music (& their very existence) is paramount for future successes of OT, so many thanks to y'all for the many great clips which appeared on this thread... just another reason why I began this thread in the first place... to help spread the good music & karma regarding this unique, yet hugely underated band.
    Their line-up may have changed over the years, but their musical roots remain intact. Some prefer the old line-ups (we have incredibly decent recordings of them all at least), some prefer the new Ozrics for different reasons (inc. Brandi), while some like their entire catalog... BUT, whichever your preferences... at least the Ozrics still exist, still composing and playing live...
    so right now, they need every PR break they can get.
    BINGO!

I've seen the Ozrics three times with Brandi in the lineup.
    Once playing keyboards/synths, which I thought she only
    had a minimal role, not really doing allot.
    Twice playing bass, which I though this role fit her much
    better. Very competent Bass player IMO.
    The Ozrics have always been one of my Favorite Space/Rock
    groups.

Scott

Sometimes band members don't seem to have a major instrumental role, but they are there for moral support. I'm thinking, for example, of Steve Hillage's lady friend, Miquette Giraudy (Bombaloni Yoni), who was in his seventies band. There are probably lots of other examples if I could only remember them.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Sometimes band members don't seem to have a major instrumental role, but they are there for moral support. I'm thinking, for example, of Steve Hillage's lady friend, Miquette Giraudy (Bombaloni Yoni), who was in his seventies band. There are probably lots of other examples if I could only remember them.
    Um, Stacia with Hawkwind comes to mind...

The guy from Frankie Goes to Hollywood, who just danced around.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Probably the ultimate example would be Linda McCartney.

Steve Sly

Saw the Ozric several times, from 1988 onwards. Never with the "family" line-up and I don't think I'll be tempted. No matter how I like the current albums. There was something special, a free festi communal aura at these early gigs. They'll never be the same, past Joie Hinton and Jumping Jon Egan, though the later contributed little musically to their gigs...

I still am a follower. I listen to "Paper Monkeys" and their newer catalogue regularly. But I'm not as passionate an Ozrics listener as I used to be in the early 90s. All things must change, me as a listener and them as a band.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-15-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I am such a fusion head, so I am always up for listening to the Ozrics.

I've got an Ozrics playlist in iTunes where everything I have by them is dumped in. I occasionally fire it up on random play and it makes a nice soundtrack for work or gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    My interest trailed off about a decade ago... I believe the most recent thing I know was The Hidden Step. Would you single out any big standouts among the releases they've made since?
    I personally think Waterfall Cities is the last, truly great Ozrix album, but I still love getting each new release.

I wish the very best for the Wynne family and hope to see them again soon!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I got into them right after their first vinyl LP came out Pungent Effulgent. Erpland came soon after, then Strangetude.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I personally think Waterfall Cities is the last, truly great Ozrix album,
    "Curious Corn" for me.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I personally think Waterfall Cities is the last, truly great Ozrix album
    I consider Hidden Step a little better, personally.