Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Ragnarök - s/t

FEATURED ALBUM: Ragnarök - s/t

Review from ProgArchives (Bov)
    The album starts of with the acoustic "Farväl Köpenhamn", a pleasant and easy-listened opener, that sets the standard for the rest of the record. Next out is "Promenader", a mellow tune that reminds us about the, in reviews of other Scandinavian prog, so often mentioned "Scandinavian melancholy". The song leaves you waiting for it to really take off, either in a positive or a dark, aggressive way. But it doesn't, and in the end I'm glad it didn't. After this comes the acoustic "Nybakat bröd", that introduces a nicely played flute and some vocal madness in the end. After this warmup of sorts, it is time for the album highlight, "Dagarnas skum". The song progresses slowly over a repetitive, yet enjoyable background pattern, always maintaining a nice dreaminess that lasts . A couple of minutes into the song, it enters a groovy jamlike state. Segments of guitar and flute alternate and provide to the song's beauty, while never getting over-ambitious or pretentious and always keeping the mellow feeling. The first side of the vinyl ends with a short flute-piece called "Polska från Kalmar". "Polska" is an old folk dance, often performed in complex time signature. On the second side, we're offered a little (tiny, really) bit happier chords in the funk-jazzy "Fabriksfunky". In "Tatanga Mani", we're yet again approached by a calm acoustic guitar solo, before the song gains just a little bit of momentum with some groovy basslines and pleasurable flute playing. An uplifting interlude comes next. "Fiottot" reminds me about circus music which, for some reason, often seems to be used by Swedish proggers (think Samla Mammas Manna and Änglagård). Maybe I'm taking the whole melancholy thing too far and making the record sound depressive, still I can't but think that this short interlude is some kind of self-knowledgable joke on theirselves, as the interlude seems to be overly optimistic. "Stiltje-Uppbrott" is beautiful and perfectly in vein with the rest of the album. Once more, this song is dominated by acoustic guitar and flute, though a nice piano intro can be heard. The album is rounded off by yet another beautiful and calm (who's surprised?) song. Dreamy and with a smooth jazzy feeling, it segues from a piano intro into a midsection jam, only to introduce some wonderfully dissonant tones of saxophone before slowly coming to an end.

All in all, the album is easy-listenable, yet both sad and beautiful. Looking (hearing?) back, I realise that only "Dagarnas skum" made me really thrilled. But then again, every single note on the album just seemed to be just where it was meant to. I'm thinking that this is what it would sound like if one were to musically describe a world in which there is always autumn. The album takes you away on a dreamy journey from the first second and doesn't release you until the last tone is played.

This is one highly recommended portion of Scandinavian melancholy. 4.5 stars really...

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Nice one.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Top 70's Swedish album in my book...

(well SMM's Maltid comes very close, but it's totally different)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I can't really decide which of their first two is the best, but I love this one.

Their latest offer, Path from 2008, was excellent as well; somehow their "economic" style, without becoming all too introvert, fits perfectly with the "post-rock" aesthetic of much contemporary instrumental rock.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I can't really decide which of their first two is the best, but I love this one.

Their latest offer, Path from 2008, was excellent as well; somehow their "economic" style, without becoming all too introvert, fits perfectly with the "post-rock" aesthetic of much contemporary instrumental rock.
    I haven't heard their second one but noticed Dan the guitarist on Algarnas Tradgard's killer debut is on it. Love Ragnarok's first one including the cover art.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Love the first three Ragnarök albums, each is a different animal. The debut is definitely the most mellow, but there’s a sort of fragile beauty to it. Fjärilar i magen ups the intensity without losing that gentle grace. Fata Morgana I totally did not expect, more of a hard-edged Crimsonic sound with “world music” touches; something totally new, but equally satisfying.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Still Life”-Van der Graaf Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Love the first three Ragnarök albums, each is a different animal.
    Absolutely! And people really SHOULD check out Path as well;

Sometimes this album even reminds me of a coming-of-age, folky, distinctly Scandinavian Mogwai!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Anyone have an opinion on the latest SHM mini-lp reissues of these as far as sound quality?

Only 7 posts makes Sweden cry.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on the latest SHM mini-lp reissues of these as far as sound quality?
    I have the first two. They sound good to me, but I honestly don't have anything left to compare them to. I had the first album on an earlier issue, but since sold it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Only 7 posts makes Sweden cry.

I have the first two. They sound good to me, but I honestly don't have anything left to compare them to. I had the first album on an earlier issue, but since sold it.
    Actually, every time I listen to this album, I can't help but think of Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On album.... same mood...

Post #10
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I haven't heard their second one but noticed Dan the guitarist on Algarnas Tradgard's killer debut is on it. Love Ragnarok's first one including the cover art.
    Fata Morgana is a bit of a letdown, IMHO (I think it's time I dig out my Tachika album, if I didn't get rid of it >> I have faint memories I might have)

^^^^

That was post #11....

and this is post #12

Bringing the count to 13...:
    I have never heard of this band and just listened to the above clips because I liked the cover. While I understand that this music is really old, it also sounds outdated. It's a pleasant listen, but for today's standards sometimes it sounds maybe a bit amateurish.

Nice album, mellow and pastoral.

Promenader's my favorite track
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love their first 3.

Really fine LP's.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    It's a pleasant listen, but for today's standards sometimes it sounds maybe a bit amateurish.
    Ragnarök were never concerned with "techno flash" aesthetics; it's all about undestatement and the power of atmosphere alone. While I can see why not only Ragnarök but MUCH 70s progressive rock may sound amateurish by some of today's standards, let's remember that there never was never a single such standard and that next to a Thinking Plague or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum most anything would sound substandard.

Peter Bryngelsson, one of the Ragnarök mainmen, is a highly regarded documentary filmmaker and musicologist these days; I'd like to think guys like these now very well what they are doing.