Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake "Bob's Drive-In"

chalkpie

Bob Drake "Bob's Drive-In"

I was REALLY late to this party, considering I am a huge Drake fan - one of my all-time musical hero's in any genre. I guess I must have been in a huge classical binge at the time - I've skipped prog for over a year straight once.

Anyway, this is just unbelievable like all of his albums. His most "accessible" album IMO, but it's also hyper-complex of course. Has a distinct American flavor with some 'grass, country, blues, rock, etc. Just spectacular - funny also - great oddball humor. His vocals are spectacular, as is the playing, especially his guitar playing. And what KILLER tones. Just lovely. Brilliant arrangements, even within a two minute tune. Sonics? Perfection. The mixing and mastering is just perfection. This is not a Steve Wilson production (whom I do admire), but rather a more 'artistic' portrait of sound; BD has many different albums with different presentations but they have all his signature and immaculate production thumbprint. One could only imagine how much work he put into his own art
    Just one thing I might want to hear is a little brighter snare (and maybe a tad hotter also) - Bob's snare is very warm sounding - sounds beautiful - but it's all subjective.

Songs? Just buy it and listen. I guarantee you'll play this more than any of your new KC 85-CD Boxed Set live shit. Live set is also ridiculous in concept and execution. Holy shit are they tight!!!!!!!! Kermanator - man you really suck on this - sorry man. Where's the groove? Ha. ha. And Kavus (!) simply rawks, and so does Dave Cambell - great playing man.

BUY THIS. BUY THIS. BUY THIS. BUY THIS.

chalkpie
    Since this is BD thread, I may as well post my thoughts on my favorite BD album. What's pathetic is that my review is the only one at Clamazon - what a sad world this is. But guys like Bob make it a little more dreadful, especially with his little pet - the Unmentionable Inhabitant. This is album is a total masterpiece, although not everybody will get it or appreciate its dark charm.

.................................................. ...................

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
    2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Drake's Masterpiece September 7, 2009
    By Frank C.
    Format:Audio CD
    Simply put, Bob Drake is one of the most original, daring, and creative musical geniuses on the planet (he resides in France) and in my opinion this is his absolute masterpiece. Mr. Drake is a serious musician and engineer, and has worked with Ice Cube, Quincy Jones, Tina Turner and George Clinton, as well as a plethora of more musically diverse acts that most people have never heard of. It is no surprise that nobody has reviewed this album simply due to the fact that 99.7% of people do not know that Mr. Drake even exists, and beyond that, the music contained therein would alienate all but the very brave and open-minded individuals.

This is a very dark and disturbing journey into the mind of Mr. Drake, and most of the lyrics deal (in one way or another) with, well, you may as well just hear it from the horses mouth ([...]

"It's me playing and singing lots of short songs about hauntings, death, madness, shrieking statues, evil plants, doomed seances, accursed portraits, unmentionable entities and other things of that nature. Instrumentally centered around nylon stringed acoustic guitar and a cheap, air-powered electric organ, accompanied by electric guitar, bass, drums and violin. I recorded most of it in a big empty barn with just a few microphones to get a raw, naturally reverberant sound along with occasional noises from outside (birds, wind, dogs, farm machinery...)" - Bob Drake

Sounds morph from a broken guitar cord one moment into an insanely intricate guitar riff (that may be doubled and panned hard left/hard right) whilst a voice singing macabre/twisted/sometimes humorous lyrics changes texture right before your eyes. There is plenty of pump organ, nylon classical guitar, avant-garde bluegrass licks, impossibly tricky and disjunct time signatures (that remind me of Beefheart at times), and purposefully placed "wrong" notes, chords, and melodies that somehow all works to create a unique and whole statement. Although "The Skull Mailbox" has a predominately acoustic nature, there are some energetic tracks that contain stellar bass guitar playing and even drums, everything performed by Drake himself. A two-minute Drake tune can sometimes feel like ten due to the unbelievable sonic journey that the listener is taken on, and I mean this in a most complimentary manner. I could talk for hours about how great and original the music is here, but my words will never due the work justice - it simply has to be heard to be understood and believed.

Of special note is the production and engineering. On a fine stereo system, each song is an aural equivalent to a painting, and every single musical detail is placed just so, never leaving any sound or texture to chance. Drake is in total control of every aspect of the sonic picture, even in the most cacaphonous moments (of which there are many!). One of the most brilliant sonic production work I have ever heard, challenging even Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy" in it's scope.

If you are a brave soul, please give Drake's music a chance. His website is [...] where you can read plenty more about the man and his music (and art; he is a fine visual artist and photographer as well), and he would even be more than happy to answer an e-mail regarding his work. There are also four complete tracks from "The Skull Mailbox" in mp3 form at the site.

Although "The Skull Mailbox (and other horrors)" is my favorite BD album, all six of his are worth hearing, and the next step to explore after this album may be either his first album called "What Day is it?" or the banjo-heavy "The Shunned Country", the latter containing an astonishing 52 tracks in about 40 minutes (many tracks are 20 - 45 seconds, yet complete musical statements).
    Comment |
    Was this review helpful to you?
    › See the customer review

Frank, can I just echo all the above.
    Bob is an extremely humble guy but all the praise you are showering on his extraordinary talent is completely justified.
    It was an honour to be a part of the 'live' part of this record.

In case anyone is curious and doesn't know the premise, while Bob was making this record he sent myself, David Kerman and David Cambell recordings of him with a guitar singing the tunes. Just that.
    From those we came up with our own parts, convened at his studio in the south of France and spent one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life rehearsing the hell out of them as a band. The thing to stress is that aside from Bob, none of us had heard the 'proper' finished versions.
    We recorded the set live in front of some friends. It wasn't until after we'd all gone home and Bob had finished the album that He sent us the album versions. The results are really interesting.
    But yeah, Bravo Bob Drake. Beautifully strange, unique, otherworldly unselfconscious and inventive music. A true beacon of light in an ocean of mediocrity.

Shame on me - I know - but I have yet tpo hear any Bob Drake music

<Note to self> Fix this!
    Regards,

Duncan

chalkpie
    Thanks Kavus and Duncan for at least acknowledging that Bob exists!

chalkpie
    Coming up: some thoughts (the word review is lame) on "13 Songs and a Thing".

It's an overlooked masterpiece. Actually every album since Skull Mailbox can be deemed as such.

I've had The Skull Mailbox for years......it's okay but nothing I returned to after the first half dozen listens.

I really like the album, and I appreciated the change in direction (I liked the country stuff but was ready for something new). I need to go back and listen to the live part- when it came out I kept getting to the end of the studio tracks and then starting over.

I have all of Bob's albums, and I love most of them, with 13 Songs and a Thing being my fav. He's also had major contributions to some of my all time favorites, 5uu's - Hunger's Teeth, and the two mind bending Science Group albums.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Coming up: some thoughts (the word review is lame) on "13 Songs and a Thing".
    My fave Drake solo construction. A complete monster.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have always enjoyed BD's work. His performace at NearFest with the Kerminator was lots of fun.

I still need to get this album -- love the cover art though!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Is Bob a member of PEv3? I haven't seen him here...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Frank, can I just echo all the above.
    Bob is an extremely humble guy but all the praise you are showering on his extraordinary talent is completely justified.
    It was an honour to be a part of the 'live' part of this record.

In case anyone is curious and doesn't know the premise, while Bob was making this record he sent myself, David Kerman and David Cambell recordings of him with a guitar singing the tunes. Just that.
    From those we came up with our own parts, convened at his studio in the south of France and spent one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life rehearsing the hell out of them as a band. The thing to stress is that aside from Bob, none of us had heard the 'proper' finished versions.
    We recorded the set live in front of some friends. It wasn't until after we'd all gone home and Bob had finished the album that He sent us the album versions. The results are really interesting.
    But yeah, Bravo Bob Drake. Beautifully strange, unique, otherworldly unselfconscious and inventive music. A true beacon of light in an ocean of mediocrity.

well said Kavus and I echo your sentiments exactly....it was a total blast and Bob is a monster musician and all around good guy

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    I have always enjoyed BD's work. His performace at NearFest with the Kerminator was lots of fun.
    I agree. They had it going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Is Bob a member of PEv3? I haven't seen him here...
    Yes, Duncan. But as with Kerman, he doesn't pop in too often.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks Frank, for starting this thread and for alerting me to its existence. I'm very glad to you know are enjoying the album! For those who don't know it, the general idea on this album was to keep the production fairly simple and tidy, never a whole lot going on at once, and it has two sections, the first is me doing everything myself, the second is a live concert with the band. I don't know what else to say except thanks for the nice comments and for listening, and that anyone who hasn't heard it and is curious can hear a couple songs:

Here are my solo version and the live version of "Recreational Guide to the Solar System":
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/drive-in.html

And here are two live videos, early run-throughs from the night of the live recording:
    Earthquake Lights:
    On this take I drop my plectrum at the beginning but we carry on anyway!

And the first part of "Lesser-Known Explorers of the Arctic":

Jefferson James
    I enjoyed the live videos very much!

Not to derail this thread, but this is my favorite Bob video:

Cracks me up every time!

chalkpie
    Great to see Bobheads popping up from the ground like weeds. Yes these compositions can seem so 'out there maaaaa'aaaaaaan' for the uninitiated or even prog fans who can't comprehend what is happening here, but if you don't mind very non-pretentious yet musically and texturally-rich music like nothing I've heard in the rock world.....but.....if you can digest these albums with nice headphones or better yet through a nice high-end system, the reward is exquisite. I have never heard rock music with so much intricate detail lever, save for some FZ compositions. The closest has to be classical music with a full page score of a large required forces to see a parallel with Bob's music. In other words, a piece like Arcana by Varese contains roughly the same amount of information that a BD album does, albeit in a different musical manner. You can't argue this. Go ahead and transcribe just about any BD tune, and when you take into account all of the non-musical sounds, some of which are running through a processer that is altering the timbre in real time, and the disjunct time signatures, licks, grooves, form, etc. You will begin to "see" almost a whole page score of music for just one measure - like with Varese as I said.

Even bands Bob has played in like the 5uu's, Thinking Plague, Hail - which are amazing - still don't have the extreme detail that Bob's solo albums have. Maybe BD could correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I perceive these things and thongs.

BTW, it's great to have Mr. Drake here live and in digital form here at Agressive Peers. Let's hear it for Bob!!! Rah rah rah ru ru rah rah ru ru ru rah ru rah = that's in 10/8.

chalkpie
    https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/bd-13-s...-thing-griffin

"Griffin - or- an erotic Dream" (from 13 songs). This tune is simply genius on so many levels. One of my favorites.

Me too.

Jefferson James
    https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/bd-13-s...-thing-griffin "Griffin - or- an erotic Dream" (from 13 songs). This tune is simply genius on so many levels. One of my favorites.
    Yes, yes, yes; I'm getting it now. Less than two minutes of music but if you had to chart out everything it would be substantial -- shitloads going on. All that aside, this little gem kicks mucho ass, I really love the vocal delivery along with the non-traditional non-linear weirdness yet, at the core, it's a pop ditty.

Pretty f'in cool. I need more BD in my life.

Jefferson James
    Great globs of goodness, there's a lot of wonderful weirdness here which could foster months of curious listening; "Badgered" is but one of many lovely things.

I confess the sound-collage pieces aren't exactly my shot-glass of Maker's Mark but the "pop" and "purplegrass" (it's too weird to be called "bluegrass") stuff is just great; then there's fantastic stuff like Mssrs. Drake and Johnson's "Doppleganger" which wouldn't sound out of place on a Mike Keneally album, assuming Mike Keneally was releasing music in 1980.

Man, it just never ends; I have a song in my head I've never learned called "The Closer You Look (the More You Find)" and boy, ain't it the truth.

Chalkpie, thanks for pointing me in Bob's direction; apparently today is my lucky day. It's weird, I flipped-out over The Shaggs a few weeks ago (finally hearing how fucking WEIRD that shit is and getting past the "we can't play" thing and just loving the craziness of it all) and now this.

chalkpie
    My pleasure Kerry - just spreadin' the word

https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/bd-13-s...-thing-griffin

"Griffin - or- an erotic Dream" (from 13 songs). This tune is simply genius on so many levels. One of my favorites.
    mine too...in fact this was the song that turned me into a BD fan in the first place. It was quite a trip to be onstage with him a few years later playing it!

couldn't find one on youtube but here is a video recorded at Cindy and Jeff's place back in happier times of a cool tune...